JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are some really big issues with CB radio when it comes to communicating... if you have any kind of background noise, and the signal is far away making out voice can be difficult at best. Also, many of the current generation CB's have really piss-poor detectors in them, so if that guy running 100W 3 channels over will bleed over onto your conversation. If he's running more power and is closer, you might only hear him across the whole band. CB beats a can with strings, but not by a whole lot.

A better alternative for local communication is the cheap FRS/GMRS radios, nearly every kid with a bicycle has one, they take standard AA or AAA batteries and depending on topography can be good for 500 ft, or 20 miles. Also, unlike CB radios, these usually have good detectors and the UHF they use tends to cut out multi-path interference. They are also FM and have much better voice quality than AM or SSB CB's.

Amateur radio has the benefit of being able to talk distance with HF and a good antenna, however, you can also use it for local communications. Short range UHF, slightly longer with 220mhz, more with 2m, and long distance with 6m-FM. Also, using digital radio modes can extend the distance and fidelity of communications significantly with PSK31, or with FEC modes. In most cases, if you have a good antenna people can hear you by long path (the signal goes the long way around the planet).

If all the bubblegummers were off the air due to a SHTF and you had a "2000 watt" or an Export CB with more power would it work to talk to like minded neighbors in a 30 mile radius? We are not looking to join a community of Hams, not that this is a bad thing, we just want to be able to communicate in a variety of situations like grid power down so no HAM repeaters after their generators run out.

I may still get licensed and have a Ham setup at home but this main question is for multiple vehicles in a 30 + mile radius with possibly no gird power.

For the best results I want a VHF (2 meter) simplex ham set up with good mobile power of 55 - 75 watts, and a correctly sized 5/8 wave or better antenna. That beats CB any day.

For people who are trying to make a decision about which comms set up you want, if you go to the test/exam sections of qrz.com and eham.net, you can look at what is required to reach a minimum level of ham radio competency's, and in that process you will give yourself a much better understanding of the basic radio process.

Have any of you guys considered MURS radio for SHTF?

MURS (151-155mhz) is essentially an extension of the 2m ham band (144-148mhz). There are two caveats to it: first, three of the channels are designated narrow-band FM, not really an issue, as long as you either buy a murs specific radio, or you repurpose one of the older commercial VHF radios that will also do narrow band (not likely). The other problem is, MURS is channelized, meaning you only have a total of 5 channels, and any type approved radio will transmit at a maximum of 2W, and there is no provision for repeaters. Also, most of the murs radios out there have very poor support for CTCSS or DCS, if they do allow you to use these, it usually requires a programming cable and specialized software.

However, if you go with one of the current generation of "part 90" import radios (read: baofeng UV5R, wuxun etc) you can program the radio to talk on the MURS band (provided you set power and narrow FM limits), also many standard 2m ham radios can be modded (although illegally) to transmit on the MURS band. With this in mind, there is simply zero reason to buy a murs radio.

Oh, and one more, GMRS "General Mobile Radio Service". You technically need a license to use it (although there have been bills floating around to remove that,) yet you can buy the equipment without the license. They have some frequency overlap with FRS ("Family Radio Service" the cheapo "walkie-talkies" you can buy at Fred Meyer, Toys R Us, or just about anywhere else,) and the FRS-bands can be used without the license legally (as long as you turn the power down to FRS levels,) plus they have GMRS-only bands.

The big advantage of GMRS over FRS is the extra GMRS-only bands plus higher power. I was told by a city of Portland bureau of emergency management guy that in the event of an actual emergency, there is no way the FCC would come in and start fining people for using the GMRS-only bands unlicensed.

(Yes, I only just discovered GMRS.) I have my handheld CB, my pair of FRS walkie-talkies, and I'll be going out and getting a pair of handheld GMRS/FRS combo units soon. Then, when I get my HAM license, I'll go get a bigger (but still battery-powerable, even if not easily "portable") HAM rig. Best to cover all the bases, right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top