JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are the causes of "keyholing". I recently got a new pistol and about 20% of the bullets are perfectly sideways at 7 yards. It is worse with Federal 38 grain bulk but is still present with Federal 40 grain. The manufacturer sent me a new barrel and it does it too.

What is the make and model? Sounds like too slow of a twist rate but I think pretty much all modern 22lr barrels whether rifle or pistol, have a 1/16 twist which should easily stabilize those bullets.

Last Edited:
What kind of target are you shooting at? If it's just a hanging piece of paper some of the shots will appear to keyhole but in fact its just the paper giving.

friend bought a ruger wrangler that started out keyholing about fifty percent. took about 500 rounds to settle down. shoots ok now. never did figure it out, but if it's a wrangler,shoot more. i'm thinking burrs.

Pix of the gun (if not the make and model), plus a pix of the target holes. Possibly, have someone (or you, with the proper tools/machines and ability), put a good target crown on the barrel.

I had a problem with keyholing when shooting my Ruger Wrangler last year.

When I shot CCI it was a tack driver...but I had a large box Federal black box (38gr I believe) that almost all keyholed.

Try different brands of ammunition. If the results are the same for all the ammo then its the pistol. If conditions improve with different brands then it's the ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top