JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought one that did that. 22 the lands and groves were solid coated with lead. Cleaned (much work) it was accurate as any I have. The bullets would hit the target side ways.

I knew a guy that blamed nearly all his pistol problems on "limp Wrist" condition. Like it was some sort of badge of honor.
I think you can ignore his opinion.
I'm going with the others here; for some reason the gods aren't allowing the bullet to spin and stabilize properly. You have been shown several things that can cause that, but other things can cause, the cause,:confused: like a leaded bore may be keeping the twist from doing its job. I had some subsonics and a couples box of Federals (the light pop thinking they were under powered) that wouldn't stabilize in an old Ruger I had. About three evenings scrubbing, and soaking the bore of the 20 years of rounds through it, and the problem went away.

My TX-22 was key holing at 5yds. From this afternoon:

9075CCC0-561B-4C45-9851-E226E1C863F8.png

Gotta agree with "xb40", as the land to groove height for .22 rimfire bores is only 0.0020 to 0.0025 of an inch. So, if the rifling is leaded up, the twist rate has no effect on stabilizing the bullet when it hits free-flight and the gyroscopic stability is unstable.
Also consider, when a .22 rimfire bore is chambered, the reamer also cuts the leade, which leaves a slight roll-over burr on the trailing edge of the rifling in that area, especially if the reamer is getting dull. Until that slight burr is burned away from the light flame temperature of the burning gun powder, some slight leading will be there, but go away after a few hundred rounds pass over that area.

I believe the OP was getting the run around from Taurus. He's called them several times to get a replacement barrel sent out and they keep saying that can't do it and to check back in a couple weeks?

Member @Reno ordered a couple barrels off their website and has reported back that there are no issues with key holing with those barrels.

My TX-22 is in limbo and currently residing in my safe. I've been holding off to see if the OP ever gets the replacement barrel and see if it's solid. I have no desire to screw around with Taurus so it will continue to collect dust. No big deal, as I bought a TacSol 6in upper for my Ruger MKIV 22/45 that has takin the sting out of the having a TX-22 that key holes.....

They have a Competition TX-22 now. Supposedly they will offer the upper for sale to peeps that already own a TX-22. Maybe I'll roll the dice on that and see how it goes..., or not.

My TX-22 was key holing at 5yds. From this afternoon:

View attachment 791969
Some of the holes look like double hits. Try shooting a couple dozen shots, but don't aim at the same spot. Stretch them out on the target. Make sure you count 24 separate holes if you shoot 24 rounds. Use a piece of regular cardboard for a target so that the bullets will pass straight through. If your target is backed by some sort of plywood, the bullet might tend to look as a keyhole after it impacts the hard surface.

Some of the holes look like double hits. Try shooting a couple dozen shots, but don't aim at the same spot. Stretch them out on the target. Make sure you count 24 separate holes if you shoot 24 rounds. Use a piece of regular cardboard for a target so that the bullets will pass straight through. If your target is backed by some sort of plywood, the bullet might tend to look as a keyhole after it impacts the hard surface.
Hollow points really open up on impact.

That target is just cardboard. No backer at all. I was shooting 5 shot strings, then checking for key holes. I'll see if @Reno will bring one of his new barrels to the club and We can do a back to back comparison with my barrel and his barrel.

That target is just cardboard. No backer at all. I was shooting 5 shot strings, then checking for key holes. I'll see if @Reno will bring one of his new barrels to the club and We can do a back to back comparison with my barrel and his barrel.
Will bring 'em

I believe the OP was getting the run around from Taurus. He's called them several times to get a replacement barrel sent out and they keep saying that can't do it and to check back in a couple weeks?

Actually that was me, not the OP. I'm still waiting patiently, calling Taurus every couple weeks, getting the same answer each time.

Yeah, I'm a bit tired of it. At this point I don't really regret buying it because I'm confident that they'll eventually come through and it will work like it should, based on the good reviews I hear from Reno and others, but it is frustrating to get the runaround and wait so long. I do have plenty of other .22 pistols to shoot in the meantime.

On a side note, another reason added to why .22LR sux.

Not sure if you're joking, but the lowly .22 LR is probably the single most useful and versatile cartridges ever made.

That's not to say that it's good for everything of course, and if you use it for the wrong application it's going to pretty much suck. :)

Actually that was me, not the OP. I'm still waiting patiently, calling Taurus every couple weeks, getting the same answer each time.

Yeah, I'm a bit tired of it. At this point I don't really regret buying it because I'm confident that they'll eventually come through and it will work like it should, based on the good reviews I hear from Reno and others, but it is frustrating to get the runaround and wait so long. I do have plenty of other .22 pistols to shoot in the meantime.

Not sure if you're joking, but the lowly .22 LR is probably the single most useful and versatile cartridges ever made.

That's not to say that it's good for everything of course, and if you use it for the wrong application it's going to pretty much suck. :)

Those are my feelings also. You'd be darn surprised to see how many confiscated .22 rimfire rifles are destroyed every year used by poachers who were caught shooting deer at night by our DNR.

So if you are shooting at someone and it keyholes does it bounce off them or do more damage? I think it just bounced off. Anyone want to test that theory....?

Coincidentally, I just got a call from Taurus, literally seconds after my last post. They have barrels back in stock, and their phone order hold is over. They're sending me one today, and said to expect it in 7 to 10 business days. I'll post an update here when it arrives.

Member @Reno ordered a couple barrels off their website and has reported back that there are no issues with key holing with those barrels.

My TX-22 is in limbo and currently residing in my safe. I've been holding off to see if the OP ever gets the replacement barrel and see if it's solid. I have no desire to screw around with Taurus so it will continue to collect dust. No big deal, as I bought a TacSol 6in upper for my Ruger MKIV 22/45 that has takin the sting out of the having a TX-22 that key holes.....

They have a Competition TX-22 now. Supposedly they will offer the upper for sale to peeps that already own a TX-22. Maybe I'll roll the dice on that and see how it goes..., or not.
Now is probably the time to call them, since they have barrels. I would recommend calling early in the morning, less chance of spending an hour on hold.
Press 2 for a new service request, then press 2 for a call-back. They called me back within about 45 minutes. They'll need your contact info and serial number.

Coincidentally, I just got a call from Taurus, literally seconds after my last post. They have barrels back in stock, and their phone order hold is over. They're sending me one today, and said to expect it in 7 to 10 business days. I'll post an update here when it arrives.

Good to read! Hope it's much better than their first attempt. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top