JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
chops_zpsa0a1ae8a.jpg

The old skillet has been seasoned very nicely using several coats of flaxseed oil and two pounds of bacon so far. Last night we finally made pork chops, 1-3/4 inch think loin chops to be exact and they were wonderful. :s0155:

I found a Griswold's Erie #12 yesterday while I was in town at a small, seldom-traveled thrift store. I gave all of $15 for it...needs to be reseasoned badly, but in otherwise nice shape.

Pork chops look good.
Wow Redcap, that's an awesome deal.

Here's some corn bread I did for the first time in cast iron.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
I put a good amount of coconut oil in the #8 skillet and heated up on the stove top.
Add the cornbread batter to the hot oil and let sizzle for about a minute then transfer to the oven for 20 minutes.
Cut the cornbread into wedges and serve piping hot. I removed all the cornbread out of the skillet so it would not keep cooking. Nothing stuck and clean up was wiping the skillet with a paper towel.
WOW it was good!

Also cooked a whole chicken in the #8 skillet on the BBQ. Turned out very tasty. Cleanup did take some water, heating the skillet and the chicken goo scraped right off.
May God bless us all,
Mike

Cast Iron Cornbread 001.jpg

Cast Iron Chicken 001.jpg

Pork chops look good.
Wow Redcap, that's an awesome deal.

Here's some corn bread I did for the first time in cast iron.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
I put a good amount of coconut oil in the #8 skillet and heated up on the stove top.
Add the cornbread batter to the hot oil and let sizzle for about a minute then transfer to the oven for 20 minutes.
Cut the cornbread into wedges and serve piping hot. I removed all the cornbread out of the skillet so it would not keep cooking. Nothing stuck and clean up was wiping the skillet with a paper towel.
WOW it was good!

Also cooked a whole chicken in the #8 skillet on the BBQ. Turned out very tasty. Cleanup did take some water, heating the skillet and the chicken goo scraped right off.
May God bless us all,
Mike

My wife cooks almost everything now with our cast iron. Two Christmases the big presents I bought her were cast iron sets. She makes excellent cornbread on the stove top burner in a deep cast iron skillet with a lid. No need for the oven.
I'd put a small skillet in my Bob if it wasn't so bloody heavy!

Brutus out

What do you guys do for clean-up?

I've always used the kosher salt and a paper towel scrub-down method, then a good rinse. That's how I was taught, anyways. As I understand it, the salt helps to preserve the seasoning. Not sure if that's true but it sure does a good job as an abrasive scrubber. Cheap & easy, just like me. :p

Hey rufus, as far as clean-up on most items, a paper towel is all I do to clean-up. Now on the items that leave a film of goo. I add water to the skillet, put on the stove top and turn to a medium heat. When it starts to get good and warm (might need to boil on the worst case) I take the stainless steel spatula and scrap the gooey goodness. Once it is all loosed up, pour out the water/goo and wipe clean and dry with a paper towel. Back on the burner for just a moment to make sure cast iron is completely dry. A little oil rub down and so far this method has taken off everything that has stuck.
I have heard of the salt rub down also but never tried it.
May God bless us all,
Mike

Went to five yard sales today looking for cast iron. Nothing but junk, total waste of time. Do people really buy things like one old roller-skate that's missing a wheel or a used cat-box?

Folks can be fanatical about going to garage sales, they will blindly do U turns in roads, park in neighbors driveways and just about trample each other in a frenzy to beat the others there.

Once, I set up a "Huge garage sale" sign on the hwy a mile and a half below the house with directional arrows. The next sign was at the bottom of the forest service road that I live off of, the next was at the rock pit a mile above the house which read, sorry all out of huge garages today! The traffic that actually drove two and a half miles up a gravel road to the rock pit confirmed just how fanatical they truly are, hell I could have charged a toll on the road that was clearly marked "no trespassing, private drive" and I'm sure most would have paid, Nuts. Good for a grin though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top