JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Recently I was given a very nice SS LP grill that needed a little cleaning and new burners to bring back to life.

Well, the former owner also had a flat griddle and an a pan, both cast iron, that originally came with it and never used, still in the wrapping.

OK, so I laid the flat grill out on the stove top burner to cook off the oil coating and discovered it was coated with some kind of a ceramic that I saw was chipping off on an edge of it. I tapped on the edge a bit more with a wrench and it continued to chip off.

I WILL NOT use any pan, griddle etc. that is coated with anything. Does anyone know a way to remove this, if sandblasting would do it or any simple ideas?

I could see using the flat griddle and the pan but unless I can bring them to bare iron cheaply and easily into the trash trailer they go!

griddle.jpg

if it's coming off that easily.
Its coming off easily on the edges because its built up and the excess knocks off easily but on the flat surface it is very thin and will not scrape off - I already tried.

This may not be practical and I may just trash 'em but if I could find a simple and easy way to remove the coating I would give it a try.

I believe what you're seeing is simply an enameled cast iron product. Ironically (pun intended...lol), the ceramic enamel coating is inert and non-reactive to acidic foods while bare cast iron will. So you might be better off leaving that on.

If you're bent on removing it, since it is ceramic in nature, try hitting it with a hammer. It should crack the ceramic and make it easy to remove.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top