JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Had to go into GP yesterday to refill a prescription at Walgreens. On the way back I stopped by that trading post place again and wound-up walking out with a Griswold #6 skillet. Figured it's the perfect size for a "personal" pineapple upside-down cake. My wife does not like them (go figure) so I needed a smaller skillet just for me. Is that a great excuse or what? The lady in the store remembered me and again we haggled a bit on price, I don't think that's normal there but they are accommodating my nerve. It was marked $19.95 and I ended up paying 15. I didn't think twenty bucks was outta line for what it is but what the heck. I told her that I'll be back again and she laughed and said "gong for the whole set?", I answered "could be!" with a wink. It spent the last night in a lye bath and I'm planning on my own pineapple UD cake tonight. Yum.

That makes two vintage pieces in my CI collection, big time now. :p

Had to go into GP yesterday to refill a prescription at Walgreens. On the way back I stopped by that trading post place again and wound-up walking out with a Griswold #6 skillet. Figured it's the perfect size for a "personal" pineapple upside-down cake. My wife does not like them (go figure) so I needed a smaller skillet just for me. Is that a great excuse or what? The lady in the store remembered me and again we haggled a bit on price, I don't think that's normal there but they are accommodating my nerve. It was marked $19.95 and I ended up paying 15. I didn't think twenty bucks was outta line for what it is but what the heck. I told her that I'll be back again and she laughed and said "gong for the whole set?", I answered "could be!" with a wink. It spent the last night in a lye bath and I'm planning on my own pineapple UD cake tonight. Yum.

That makes two vintage pieces in my CI collection, big time now. :p

This will help you identify what generation Griswold you picked up!

Undersatnding Griswold

pusdc_zpscdb3eaf8.gif

Pineapple upside-down cake number one. Nothing fancy, just great dessert while watching the Dodger game. The new little skillet worked perfectly. Made tamale pie in the big skillet for dinner, it was cast iron night. Life is good. :s0155:

Holy Upside-Down Batman! That Looks Good!! The skillet looks in great shape too. I've got two griddles I am seasoning right now. One for a friend and one I picked up for the home.
May God bless us all,
Mike

This new to me skillet is a very nice one, it cleaned up great and I really like the size/weight. Used only Crisco to season it and I'm very please with the way it came out. Gonna use this one a lot.

Got a question for all you cast iron cookers. How does cast iron do on glass top stoves. I have heard that it doesn't do well, something about the bottom not being flat enough.

I have an 15 year old Lodge dutch oven I picked up new....Now im wondering if it's made in China? Well someone got it for us as a wedding gift, i never thought about it possibly being made in china. Ughhh

pakrat: I'm no pro but do like to cook. My stove is a glass top and I hate it, but it is what it is. As long as I'm careful not to drop a heavy pan on it, it works fine. If the pan is not rough on the bottom (scratches) or warped there is no problem with cooking.

Hey Velzey, Lodge still makes their cast iron right here in the USA. Not as smooth as the old stuff but still very good. Looking at the Lodge website they started in 2005 importing from China their elegant L-series of Porcelain Enameled Cast Iron. So your 15 year old Lodge dutch oven should be Made in USA.
Went to Dan'l Boone's Trading Post and boy do they have a lot of cast iron. Did not get anything but with enough money they have just about anything you might need.
May God bless us all,
Mike

I got a #4, #10, and my dads old #10 flat skillet I use to use for pancakes only. Which I've had to abandon using.

All I can say is, the wife hated the fact that you can't put them in the dishwasher. And I lost the argument. I miss cooking on cast iron.

On a side note, I have a friend that has been cooking on a old cast iron oven, with all cast iron pots and pans. Its a treat to watch her cook on it. She hasn't used a electric stove for 40 years.

Went to Dan'l Boone's Trading Post and boy do they have a lot of cast iron. Did not get anything but with enough money they have just about anything you might need.

That's the place! I did not know the name, we just call it the trading post with the horse on the roof. I'm glad you checked it out.

Got a question for all you cast iron cookers. How does cast iron do on glass top stoves. I have heard that it doesn't do well, something about the bottom not being flat enough.

I did my fair share of glass top and cast iron in BG (before gas) flat bottoms and you should be fine...My wife did drop a pan from just about 5 inches onto the glass top. It did crack it. Here is some beans and hocks that went good with corn bread and collards on a glass top.

Last Edited:
Found this in the attic. I do not know when I got it or where I got it but at some time in my life I got it and put it in the attic. I posted on a cast iron collector site to find out what I had. I am told it is Lodge brand prior to 1960. Now I want some pancakes.
May God bless us all,
Mike

Update: Made some grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. I could easily fit 6 sandwiches. Having to stretch across two burners it takes a long while to heat up to temperature but did an outstanding job.

Grilled Cheese on the griddle 001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads