JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
12 Quart! Holy baked beans Batman!! That's a BIG one!!! The little 5 quart one I have seems pretty heavy.
I was given a suggestion on my big griddle. Pre-heat in the oven first then transfer to the stove top. At least it would start out evenly heated.
May God bless us all,
Mike

Pancakes from the other morning! Added a can of pumpkin pie filling to the batter. Mmm Mmm!!
May God bless us all,
Mike

Pancakes on the griddle 002.jpg

Found an 11 inch Square WagnerWare at a yard sale. Had to try it out with corn bread and chili. The skillet is big enough I increased the recipe by 1/2 but ended up putting too much milk. Luckily it cooked up with no problems.
May God bless us all,
Mike

WagnerWare Square Cast Iron 001.jpg

Tip...use 1 teaspoon lemon juice in the milk called for in your cornbread recipe. Let the milk and juice sit for a couple of minutes to give it time to "work". When cooking with milk you will be surprised the difference whole milk makes vs the unleaded types.

Brussels sprouts are in season. If you don't like 'em, you've never had 'em prepared correctly:

Cut the big ones in half, add a little olive oil & garlic salt, 400 degree oven and skillet, dump 'em in the skillet and roast in oven for 20-25 minutes stirring every 7 minutes. Fan-freakin-tastic!

Oh yeah, the smoked tri-tip was even better. :s0155:

brussels_sprouts_01.jpg

brussels_sprouts_02.jpg

brussels_sprouts_03.jpg

tri_tip_01.jpg

tri_tip_02.jpg

I've been working on tri-tip all summer and finally have it down. Used a standard Weber grill, a cast iron smoke box, a hand full of hickory wood chips, and a chimney full of briquettes.

Prep tri-tip by cutting off any fat and sprinkle with McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning. Not too much seasoning, about 3/4 tablespoon tops.

Get the charcoal going until flames come out the top of the chimney, dump into the grill covering only half the bottom and place smoke box at back of grill on hot coals. Place grill top in kettle and stand by with meat ready to go until you see smoke starting to come from the smoke box, then place meat on grill over the half of kettle without charcoal to smoke with indirect heat, opposite side of the smoke box. Cover grill and let the smoke do its thing. The smoke lasts only a few minutes but keep it covered the entire cook.

Flip meat, still over indirect heat, after 8-9 minutes for another 8-9 minutes then place directly over hot coals and flip every 5 minutes. Total cook time depends on size of tri-tip. This one was 3.18 pounds and cooked for a total of 35 minutes. Go ahead and get some char on it, that stuff tastes great.

Let rest at least 10 minutes and slice thin against the grain. I make sandwiches on toasted hoagie rolls and use a mild roasted garlic salsa as a condiment. No BBQ sauce, it will wreck the flavor of the tri-tip.

Super good, kind of a Santa Maria style BBQ.

Try pulling tri tip off the heat at 132 degrees.

Even a little less if you like your meat a little rare;) I love Tri Tip and have been messing with things over the summer. A local store had it on sale all summer long for about 5 bucks a 1lb so I was cooking one about every three weeks. Tri Tip is one meat I can never get enough of especially if you have a good beer to wash it down with:s0155:

Brussels sprouts are in season. If you don't like 'em, you've never had 'em prepared correctly:

Cut the big ones in half, add a little olive oil & garlic salt, 400 degree oven and skillet, dump 'em in the skillet and roast in oven for 20-25 minutes stirring every 7 minutes. Fan-freakin-tastic!

I tried your sprouts recipe in my recently acquired pan, and they were great. I added hot pepper strips and a pinch of chili powder. Nice warm buzz in the mouth for half an hour. Thanks, rufus.

That wouldn't be Loraine Eckhardt would it? The best rolls and bread this side of the Pecos Loraine?

Now there's a fascinating connection. Loraine Eckhardt, My Aunt, lives out near Hebo. Uncle Ken used to have a fire engine in his front yard. Got my hind end bit by a big goose when i was a little one there. Scariest and coolest rope swing ever on the hill behind the place. GREAT FOLKS with GREAT HOSPITALITY. I Haven't seen them in years. I need to get down there...

Now there's a fascinating connection. Loraine Eckhardt, My Aunt, lives out near Hebo. Uncle Ken used to have a fire engine in his front yard. Got my hind end bit by a big goose when i was a little one there. Scariest and coolest rope swing ever on the hill behind the place. GREAT FOLKS with GREAT HOSPITALITY. I Haven't seen them in years. I need to get down there...

You really need to Mark, the sooner the better. These folks are the salt of the earth and are some of the kindest around. It is indeed a small world.;)

Went into town with my wife today and did some shoppin. Found lots of CI, some really nice pieces. Might go back later this week. Today's haul included this Griswold Large Block Logo #8 Skillet With Dome Lid circa 1920-1940. Set me back $40. It's spending the night in lye, sure does need it. Extra grungy but should clean up nice. I think I did okay.

griswold8_01.jpg

griswold8_02.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top