JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to see more .357 SIG. If I want one, I tend to have to buy a .40 and a conversion barrel which just adds cost and that's only IF a conversion barrel is available. Don't mind the .40, just would like the option

Also the .45 GAP because I like the idea of it but I'm not buying a Gen 3 slippery Glock to try it out
A vote for 357 SIG!! My true favourite pistol cartridge.

In no particular order:

• The .50Æ. More spank than a .44 Magnum and rimless, so will function better in auto-loaders. Either a short, high(er) capacity, SBR AR type automatic or Winchester 92 clone would be neat.
  • The .500 JRH (aka .500 Special). Provides a little more pop than a .480 Ruger, without going full fire-breathing .500 Magnum. Something smaller than the Model 500 in said or a light lever-gun might be neat.
  • 9.3×62㎜ Mauser. As an all around sporting cartridge, it isn't bad. Granted, there are plenty of options now for cartridges in the class. But still, some other options would be nice.
  • The .32 NAA. This little bottle-necked cartridge is reminiscent of such offerings from yesteryear, but, AFAIK, only small automatics are made by NAA. A compact or full-sized automatic, with a large capacity could be interesting in this little zipper.
  • The .50 GI. Handguns in the .45 ACP class can be so chambered, so there should be options. Probably not enough advantage for wide adoption.
  • The .3030 WCF. It is a fine old cartridge, but there doesn't seem to be may new guns produced in said.
And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. :s0155:
Vote for the 9.3x62mm!

A vote for 357 SIG!! My true favourite pistol cartridge.
I love 357 SIG. Have reloading dies for it and everything. Have not touched it in years as basically nothing shoots it except for the pistol. I think the reason it never gained popularity is it is quite flippy. Not terrible recoil, but very sharp compared to other cartridges, and that makes it seem worse than it is. I think it wold do a lot better in a short barreled carbine than a pistol, but it does not have the popularity for that. We would have to get one the sly way; convince a manufacturer to make a .40 carbine, then convince someone to make an aftermarket barrel swap for it. . .

CMMG Banshee .40SW, have a gunsmith do .357 barrel from a blank?
I think that would be a lot harder than other platforms. The AR pattern needs a barrel extension for the bolt to lock into, and CMMG has a proprietary bolt lockup with unique geometry. It would not be as easy as buying off the self parts to make the complete barrel. You would either have to talk CMMG into selling you a barrel extension or scavenge one from somewhere else (and I have never tried to remove a barrel extension, so I have no idea how feasible that is). And even if you did get a barrel extension you have to deal with headspacing it yourself, which is also non-trivial (AR barrels are usually headspaced from the factory, because they have the giant presses to do it). And if you did want to headspace it yourself you are back to dealing with that unique bolt face geometry, which means everything you know about DIY AR headspacing (by sizing the bolt lugs) does not apply anymore. . .

Getting something like an AP/SP5 in 40 would be way easier I think. Now you just have a flat breachface and some pins to deal with. Shove the barrel into the trunnion, pin it at the right depth and call it good.

More wheelguns in .480 Ruger would be nice. Ruger's niche cartridge is a fine one, so other manufacturers offering said would be interesting. (Having settled on the .500 for gonzo purposes, I'm not as interested as in the past, but still.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top