JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Truck/trunk vault is a box made of sheetmetal. Great idea but I would have to say in my professional security opinion as well as personal assessment: sheet metal is easy to break into. There are many cases of guns being stolen from police cars.

Sheet metal and IIRC composite wood panels.

Anything heavier than sheet metal won't sell well because of the weight.

Still, the primary idea here is to have the firearms and valuables out of sight and not easily accessible; to make it a bit harder than just a snatch and grab. If they have to futz around with the "vault" then that takes time and lessens the risk of theft.

Police cars have weapons stolen because the thieves know there are probably weapons inside. They don't know that about civilian vehicles - although the first place they check for valuables is the glove compartment and consoles.

I have lived my childhood with loaded guns in the truck rack... Grandpa had a rack full for 20-30 years before I was born... and this is all 3 grandpas... Somehow in the many years of loaded rifles they never got out of their racks and started robbing, murdering, rape, and pillaging...

Cruiser ready and cruiser Safe modes of carry are for personal or departmental considerations.

I know some people that wont carry a pistol woth a round chambered.

Some cities (cali) wont allow you to have a round in the chamber but you can have a loaded mag in the pistol. (Open Carry)

I have studied cases of racks causing discharges. Biggest case is a guy hung his rifle on the rack with the peg inside the trigger guard. the shotgun slipped when he slammed his door going off and killing him. This was inside a house. Lesson is that you shouldn't put the peg into a trigger guard.

Police cars have weapons stolen because the thieves know there are probably weapons inside.

This is because the Trunkvaults are not secure. Just because you have a lock on it means nothing to a criminal. Getting through a composite wood panel is easier than getting through a solid chunk of metal. That is the reason most LEO vehicles are targeted by criminals. now having a solid lock that requires more effort will make things easier to keep secure! If you make things harder on a criminal that translates into better security.

If you know that a firearm is housed in a locked sheet metal box that will open to the same burglar tools, where is the security in that? Or are you just thinking that it will keep things safe.

Mount vs box...

Let me know when you have tested the security of both systems. Until then you can buy a box and rely on the fasle illusion.

I would say its perfect in that it will keep honest people honest. That is the only thing a locked sheet metal box secure.

As a metal worker I have constructed many different kinds of vaults, sheet metal boxes, mounts, and clips. As well as tested them for resistance to penetration.

If you want something that will give it up like a virgin on prom night then by all means. If you want to look up the reasons why guns are stolen from police cruisers, your going to look for a long time. LEO is pretty tight lipped about gaps in their security. Leaving a gun locked in your trunk is a common occurrence, and often departmental policy for quicker response times.

Ask a cop that had a firearm stolen and I bet he will refuse to give any information about preventive security measures. Who likes admitting their mistakes when it can be covered up?

Thieves are generally opportunistic.

They don't target civilian vehicles looking specifically for guns - they look for anything they can get that can be sold to their fence. They especially look for anything visible, and they target vehicles during times of the year they know there will be something to steal.

Thieves don't target LE vehicles because they are easy to steal guns from, they are harder to steal guns from than civilian vehicles, because they do usually have some kind of anti-theft mechanism, whether it is highly effective or not. They target LE vehicles because they know there is a much higher chance of finding a firearm inside. Otherwise they would leave them alone due to the risk.

The typical civilian puts their handgun under their seat or in the glove box or in a soft case in the trunk, but the thief doesn't know that the gun is there until they break in, so they aren't targeting the civilian vehicle for guns, they are targeting them for valuables in general, and guns are a bonus.

Keep it under the hood. lol
Never heard of a scumbag thief looking under the hood for stealables.. though of course there are battery thieves out there.. and car thieves.
anyway

Thanks @Deebow great reply. I 'rarely' get pulled over, never been searched. I'm a pretty 'standard' family guy. I'm not concerned with getting searched and aside from that, I don't have to but ALWAYS alert LE that I'm carrying if I am pulled over so they don't get nervous or surprised. I'll look into the suggested products and just plan on having a non-descript bag and a magazine in a pouch but not in the weapon.

No @Caveman Jim I don't have 'Down'. I meant, 'Got that down'. Thanks for the humor though!

If your in Oregon and stay there and have an Oregon permit, you can carry any thing you want any where.

Go to the OFF site it will have the answers to most of your ??.

PS you might buy Kevin's book and read it. It gives you most of the info. YOU NEED.

You'd be good. The theft thing is an issue however. I had a Glock and shotgun stolen that I kept hidden under a blanket and other road emergency gear. They weren't visible and/or printing. I keep everything in a "go" bag now and don't leave anything alone in the car. The Tufloc Gun Rack/Mount look promising, but not as a permanent place to leave a firearm.

I travel between OR/WA/CA a bit. The 3 states have VERY different gun laws and should be read up on if traveling. If traveling I'd try to get a Washington/Utah permit(s).

If you are an OR resident and have an OR CCW, then it is almost automatic getting a WA CCW. But you have to submit the application in person, at any Sheriff's office or county office building and you usually have to make an appointment.

I'm on the train home from work, and don't have "the book" with me, so I'll commit the crime of speculation. I believe in Oregon, if you have a concealed pistol license, your carrying and/or possession of any firearm is covered by State law. Whatever exemptions and restrictions municipalities or countys have passed apply only to non cpl holders. Because there are no State level laws to the contrary, a permit holder may carry a loaded long arm in his or her car. I think the idea is State law trumps local law.

I believe per current state of the law OR CHL only covers handguns, not rifle caliber pistols.

It is up to every individual to know and understand the laws before they make a decision to do anything, especially regarding things as heavily regulated as firearms.

However a quick search on NWFA gives a general consensus that it is okay.

My opinion is....... ill keep my tinfoil hat on here actually. ;)

Thieves are generally opportunistic.

They don't target civilian vehicles looking specifically for guns - they look for anything they can get that can be sold to their fence. They especially look for anything visible, and they target vehicles during times of the year they know there will be something to steal.

Thieves don't target LE vehicles because they are easy to steal guns from, they are harder to steal guns from than civilian vehicles, because they do usually have some kind of anti-theft mechanism, whether it is highly effective or not. They target LE vehicles because they know there is a much higher chance of finding a firearm inside. Otherwise they would leave them alone due to the risk.

The typical civilian puts their handgun under their seat or in the glove box or in a soft case in the trunk, but the thief doesn't know that the gun is there until they break in, so they aren't targeting the civilian vehicle for guns, they are targeting them for valuables in general, and guns are a bonus.

Hmm... So a thief wont target someone they will just take the opportunity?

Thieves will definitely target gun owners.... My neighbor is one. They broke into his truck seeking his guns. The gun stickers and "Insured By Smith & Wesson" might have been the opportunity you talk about sir. When the police caught them with the guns the crooks told them about selling the stolen guns to the local gangs and specifically targeting vehicles with gun stickers because they were more likely to carry a gun. Too bad he had a sheet metal lock box that was jimmied with a leatherman.

If you are on the run its in every training manual how to find a weapon that you could steal. The big jacked up truck with a full gun rack is a opportunity. But its a targeted opportunity. They are looking at the inside, has camo and hunting or outdoors gear, the outside which has personalization proclaiming your 2nd amendment support..

If you are such an expert on criminal behavior why is it that many cops have gotten firearms stolen? Main cause is lact of attention. If you leave your assault rifle thats SBRed and silenced and full auto on your trunk lid? It might get stolen.

Just because a police officer has a sheet metal lock box with a $2 lock on it isnt going to make it any more secure than being in a soft case!

A criminal is going to commit a crime no matter the victim.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top