JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I searched some similar threads but didn't really see a nailed own answer to my question. I am a CHL holder and I carry every day. Got the down. However, I'm thinking about keeping some more 'power' nearby, such as keeping my AR in the trunk or back seat when I travel. I do a lot of traveling and want to remain prepared, especially in light of recent events that I believe will spill into USA/Oregon at some time. All that being said, my main questions are these; (thanks in advance for advice!)

1. Can I carry a rifle in my vehicle, in a carry bag without stirring up trouble?
2. Can the weapon be loaded, and/or a loaded magazine in the gun, or
3. Does the gun need to be unloaded and the magazines separated?

I'm also interested in tips on pro's/con's of doing this and ways of keeping it 'concealed'. I've always been afraid of keeping guns in my car (like a pistol in the glove box) for theft reasons.

Thanks for all the advice I'm sure is about to come!

Trucks have a rear seat safe.... That might take a second or two to access.

Cops have a trunk lid mount as well. You can get locking versions.

I would like the answer if you can carry a loaded rifle/shotty. I do believe that police carry long guns loaded.

I do know that Cruiser Ready and Cruiser Safe modes of carry have a shotgun with a loaded tube. CR is round chambered and tube fully loaded. CS is empty chamber and full tube.

link for a trunk locking mount...
http://www.chiefsupply.com/tufloc-gun-racks-and-mount-trunk-mount.html

You'd be good. The theft thing is an issue however. I had a Glock and shotgun stolen that I kept hidden under a blanket and other road emergency gear. They weren't visible and/or printing. I keep everything in a "go" bag now and don't leave anything alone in the car. The Tufloc Gun Rack/Mount look promising, but not as a permanent place to leave a firearm.

I travel between OR/WA/CA a bit. The 3 states have VERY different gun laws and should be read up on if traveling. If traveling I'd try to get a Washington/Utah permit(s).

1. Can I carry a rifle in my vehicle, in a carry bag without stirring up trouble?

Trouble will depend on the locale and LEO you may encounter.

In general, it is safer, both legally and literally, so have long guns unloaded in your vehicle. Counties like Multnomah and Clackamas and cities like Portland and Eugen, are changing their laws all the time, and while you are protected by your CHL with handguns, that CHL does not protect you with long guns in some locales. At one point in time there was a questionable law - I think it was Clackamas co. but maybe it was Multnomah, where certain long guns had to be almost disassembled as you passed through the county - but I think that got thrown out.

So to be "safe", just have the long gun at least unloaded, and preferably out of sight and not "readily accessible" to people in the passenger compartment.

I'm also interested in tips on pro's/con's of doing this and ways of keeping it 'concealed'. I've always been afraid of keeping guns in my car (like a pistol in the glove box) for theft reasons.

Truckvault provides some very secure ways to store/carry firearms in vehicles.

Thanks for all the great replies. So to be clear, I can have the rifle in the car, magazines loaded but not seated in the rifle.

I'm thinking of having a compartment in the back/trunk area (hatchback) where the weapon would be stored, not visible while I'm traveling. I wouldn't leave it in the vehicle overnight or for extended periods. I just want it near by when I'm on calls that should something go down it wouldn't be far, if the situation permitted me getting back to my vehicle.

Truck/trunk vault is a box made of sheetmetal. Great idea but I would have to say in my professional security opinion as well as personal assessment: sheet metal is easy to break into. There are many cases of guns being stolen from police cars.

The link I provided is something that I have witnessed as being able to withstand more criminal exposure in getting around.

Honestly I wish we had videoed the testing.

breaking into a trunk isnt hard and if you have the tools for that then TV is easily comprimised. The larger metal body, more secure mount specific to the firearm, multi pin tumbler locks, provide more peace of mind.

In my opinion and what I will do with my personal vehicle is the Tufloc for security of my property. I have never had a gun stolen, and I dont think that sheet metal is an adequate solution. I would rather something more secure than the TruckVault option.

The smaller the better!

Just need to fab a locking mount. 20151004_103810.jpg

Good reason I don't live there.
But Oregon will soon be the same.

And when it happens , it's time to move on. Hope the housing market is stronger by then.

Keeping a cable locked AR or another long rifle or shotgun is also a good idea. Yes cables can be cut but most thieves are in it for a quick grab and go.

Magazine disconnected= good idea. Another good one is to have the AR split between the upper and lower. Not hard to push two pins together.

Thanks for all the advice I'm sure is about to come!

Ralph, the answer to all these questions is yes.

Everyone here is going to talk about laws and what is legal and illegal. I would advise you take your own counsel on that and ask yourself "how often will I encounter a LE Official in some way that gets my car searched?"

If the answer to this question is "recently," "frequently" or "often" then you should change your driving habits, the way you dress, or the folks you hang out with. If you are worrying about "stirring up trouble" I would want to know what your plans are for carrying the rifle in your trunk?

Mostly, the problem is going to be theft. You can go whole hog and get something that fits your application from a company like this: http://truckvault.com/ Or you could go a different route and go covert with something like an unmarked gym bag, large tennis racket bag etc. that looks like something it isn't.

I carry an AR15 pistol with a folding brace block in my truck everyday. My work says "no guns on the premises" and I have been there for almost 20 years now and no one has searched me, asked to search me or said anything to me about it. My AR15 pistol is in a very nondescript bag that doesn't look like anything a thief would want and I carry it back and forth to my truck every morning and evening. I drive like a bit of an butthole (know thyself...), but if I get pulled over, I am going to get a speeding ticket; not a body cavity search.

If you are the victim of a theft, make sure you report it. I promise that the police aren't going to care if it was loaded or unloaded or if you had bullets with it or not. They take stolen property reports all the time. Even a hoodied hood rat knows that he can stop in and buy bullets at any sporting goods store and no one is going to question him, so the cops aren't going to arrest you because you had a loaded rifle in your car that was stolen.

Remember that you can do whatever you want, you just have to be ready to play by big boy rules. :cool:

Oregon/Utah CHL and AR15 pistol loaded and under back seat........

Sad part is if you are forced to use it for protection you will most likely spend a lot of time in a court room. :s0037:
So don't carry a gun at all?o_O
Cause no matter what you have to use for self defense,you will most likely spend time in court
In WA state unless the weapon is on your person, it is illegal to have it loaded in your vehicle even if the engine is off and the key is in your pocket!
WHAAAT????
Give some reference there bubba. You are blowing smoke.I have gone over the laws in WA many times and it says nothing about that. You can not have a loaded rifle in the vehicle but you can have a loaded handgun with a carry permit. It says nothing about where the weapon needs to be except hidden if you are out of the vehicle
Go do some research before you make statements please
Here's a couple links for you to catch up on
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show