JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A guy here told me that it's not legal to carry more than 1 gun on a WA cpl?

Hwoever, I can't see any statutes in the WA RCW that prohibit or even mention such?

what about more than 1 gun in IDAHO,. or even in Oregon?

How m,any of you in WA. carry a folding knife ( fixed blades are illegal for sure) with
a thuo_Omb stud or other way to open your knife one-handed?

A guy here told me that it's not legal to carry more than 1 gun on a WA cpl?

Hwoever, I can't see any statutes in the WA RCW that prohibit or even mention such?

what about more than 1 gun in IDAHO,. or even in Oregon?

How m,any of you in WA. carry a folding knife ( fixed blades are illegal for sure) with
a thuo_Omb stud or other way to open your knife one-handed?

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license—Application—Fee—Renewal.
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. ...

Various other places in RCW references are made to "a pistol". If you really want to stretch things I suppose you could claim that the wording indicates that it's only for one, but I could just as easily argue that had that been the intent of the law it would have been specified. I'm not an attorney and I don't offer advice but I am not personally concerned about this one.

I don't know anything about Oregon or Idaho.

I know a few people who carry spring assisted knives in accordance with state law. BTW, if you are thinking of carrying a knife, there is a thread on WaGuns.org that lists different city ordinances regulating the carry of knives. I was surprised by the variety of lengths that were permitted from one city to another.

Last Edited:
In Oregon it is a Concealed Handgun License. There is nothing prohibiting carrying around as many as you want. It how ever has nothing to do with any Knife.

There is no limit on how many guns one can carry. There is no RCW stating it as illegal which means, per British Legal Tradition, that it is automatically legal.
Fixed blades not illegal to carry per state law. Funny thing is it does state that all fixed blades must be open carried.
Unfortunately there isn't a State Preemption for knives so cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact their own restrictions. This means that you need to be familiar with any town laws you may fall under.
You may be legal in kent but not when you cross into auburn for example.
That applies to all knives not just fixed blades.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I carry a knife a flick open knife when I'm in WA. Four inch blade too!:cool:
Also, packing legally.
Actually an assisted opening knife or even a flip open one is illegal under WA law unless you're a first responder or LEO. But almost every store that sells good quality knives will sell you any of the above.

It is illegal to own a switchblade or other spring blade knife in the state of Washington.

http://www.knifeup.com/washington-knife-laws/
Definitions of Various Types of Knives
A spring blade knife is defined by Washington statute as a knife with a blade that is automatically released by a spring or other mechanical devise or with a blade that opens, falls, or is ejected by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal movement (spinning the knife). No other knife is defined by the statutes or by the case law. When the legislature fails to define a term, the Court will generally use the plain English meaning of the word, which is the meaning giving by Webster's dictionary.
RCW 9.41.251
Dangerous weapons—Application of restrictions to law enforcement, firefighting, rescue, and military personnel.
(1) RCW 9.41.250 does not apply to:
(a) The possession or use of a spring blade knife by a general authority law enforcement officer, firefighter or rescue member, Washington state patrol officer, or military member, while the officer or member:
(i) Is on official duty; or
(ii) Is transporting a spring blade knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer or member is not on official duty; or
(iii) Is storing a spring blade knife;
(b) The manufacture, sale, transportation, transfer, distribution, or possession of spring blade knives pursuant to contract with a general authority law enforcement agency, fire or rescue agency, Washington state patrol, or military service, or pursuant to a contract with another manufacturer or a commercial distributor of knives for use, sale, or other disposition by the manufacturer or commercial distributor;
(c) The manufacture, transportation, transfer, distribution, or possession of spring blade knives, with or without compensation and with or without a contract, solely for trial, test, or other provisional use for evaluation and assessment purposes, by a general authority law enforcement agency, fire or rescue agency, Washington state patrol, military service, or a manufacturer or commercial distributor of knives.
(2) For the purposes of this section:
(a) "Military member" means an active member of the United States military or naval forces, or a Washington national guard member called to active duty or during training.
(b) "General law enforcement agency" means any agency, department, or division of a municipal corporation, political subdivision, or other unit of local government of this state or any other state, and any agency, department, or division of any state government, having as its primary function the detection and apprehension of persons committing infractions or violating the traffic or criminal laws in general.
(c) "General law enforcement officer" means any person who is commissioned and employed by an employer on a full-time, fully compensated basis to enforce the criminal laws of the state of Washington generally. No person who is serving in a position that is basically clerical or secretarial in nature, or who is not commissioned shall be considered a law enforcement officer.
(d) "Fire or rescue agency" means any agency, department, or division of a municipal corporation, political subdivision, or other unit of local government of this state or any other state, and any agency, department, or division of any state government, having as its primary function the prevention, control, or extinguishment of fire or provision of emergency medical services or rescue actions for persons.
(e) "Firefighter or rescue member" means any person who is serving on a full-time, fully compensated basis as a member of a fire or rescue agency to prevent, control, or extinguish fire or provide emergency medical services or rescue actions for persons. No person who is serving in a position that is basically clerical or secretarial in nature shall be considered a firefighter or rescue member.
(f) "Military service" means the active, reserve, or national guard components of the United States military, including the army, navy, air force, marines, and coast guard.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last Edited:
<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Actually an assisted opening knife or even a flip open one is illegal under WA law unless you're a first responder or LEO. But almost every store that sells good quality knives will sell you any of the above.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I disagree. A spring operated knife is illegal. A spring assisted knife is not mentioned:

Definitions of Various Types of Knives
A spring blade knife is defined by Washington statute as a knife with a blade that is automatically released by a spring or other mechanical devise or with a blade that opens, falls, or is ejected by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal movement (spinning the knife). No other knife is defined by the statutes or by the case law. When the legislature fails to define a term, the Court will generally use the plain English meaning of the word, which is the meaning giving by Webster's dictionary.

A spring assisted knife uses the spring to hold the knife open or shut. The spring will assist in opening or shutting, but nothing on the knife automatically opens the blade. Flicking or pointing the knife downward will not open it. Assist and Automatic are very different words in Webster's. This may explain why you can buy spring assisted knives everywhere but not switchblades.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads