JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was parked out on the side of a back road one night with a few friends, just sitting out under the stars chatting for barely 2 minutes when we hear some yelling coming from RIGHT behind us. Turn around... and coming across the street towards us is some completely intoxicated man with the biggest chrome revolver I have ever seen in my life. Not only was he standing in the (very public) street, but he was pointing it at chest level trying to acquire one of us in his sights, mumbling something completely incoherent. I literally felt like a zombie from the cornfields had come alive from out of nowhere and was there to kill us, and my heart was leaping out of my chest. My friends and I quickly ran to the other side of the parked SUV, and without hesitation I had drawn, racked and chambered a round into the Glock I was carrying hidden under my shirt (I almost impressed myself with how fast and instinctively it all happened, especially since I was scared for my life). I came to grips with the fact that I may have to shoot this derranged man in order to protect myself and my friends... but wanted to avoid it coming to that if it was at all possible. I said a quick prayer, told my friends to climb in the car on the side he coudn't see, and then made my way to the other side to draw his attention to me. I quickly yelled at the man "hey, everything's ok... we're leaving now" over and over, while keeping my gun pointed down behind me, at my side, so he couldn't see it. Once everyone was in, we tore out of there. I'm not sure excactly how I didn't get shot, as he was literally ready to fire. I'm guessing the whole thing was over in 20 seconds.

As we were leaving, I noticed a tiny house 200 feet down the road on the opposite side from where we were. The drunk guy probably saw us pull over and wanted to let us know he owned that part of the highway or something. Needless to say, I'm extremly glad I was carrying that night. In fact, after we got home, my non gun-enthusiast friends vocalized their support for the right to defend ourselves.

Sure, carrying can be a hassle. Living in the burbs, I don't really feel the need most of the time. But when my wife and I are going downtown or to a sketchy area we're not familiar with, it's nice to have that extra level of protection. Of course, only as a very last resort.

Hi, Im the original poster and wanted to thank everyone who has posted thus far. I think its a really good informative thread. Hearing all these real world stories has really swayed my thinking and im glad to say Ive committed to the new lifestyle change. Its hard to get used to that big hunk o metal in my pocket but I must say on those dark nights when Im alone in the industrial district trying to find my car that I had to park 6 blocks away, its reassuring that I have some training and my new bff by my side. I had to go the pocket carry route cause my pants, regardless of how many belts ive tried, always end up falling past my hips. I must say its really not that bad, I have to carry my keys on my belt now but its a small price to pay for security. Thanks again everybody for sharing your stories!!!

Youre leaving the mall, a 7-11 with your slurpee, or a bar at night and you notice 2 men walking toward you. At this point you are sure they are coming for you but you are not sure what they want. 1 of them blocks your car door and the other one is preventing you from making a run for it.

Or to add a extra layer of realism. . .
In my case I'm 54 year old (so outrunning a thug has a low chance of success) and I'd likely have my wife and two young kids with me.
No way could we out run or evade anyone. .

Now what do you do?

BTW: I do carry a can of FoxLab OC in each car as a first line of defense.

Hi Everyone.

So Im curious about something. Ive recently got my carry permit but im not sure how much I want to or need to carry. Up to this point I havent really run into any significant danger. After several break ins in my neighborhood and a job that involves moving expensive audio equipment into and out of my car in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood i thought I better get educated and licensed which I have.

Id love to hear some accounts from those of you who carry regularly and have had to actually draw your weapon or at least have been at the ready to draw. Im interested in 1st person accounts, not stories from your friends, family, or the news. I always read that you need to be prepared for what could happen. Id love to hear stories about something that did happen and you were glad you were ready.

thank you for your time.

It's not in anyone's interest to post blow-by-blows on an internet forum. It's buying potential trouble from Law Enforcement. Cops and Prosecutors DO read this forum ya know.

i am 29 years old and i carry any time im not working and keep a gun in the truck when i am.im not paranoid or afraid .i am a vet and i refuse to be a victim or watch the innocent get hurt because of messed up people.the last thing i ever want to do is draw my gun but i shoot a lot and if i pull my gun im ready to use it.

Carryed for 30 years .pulled it out of the holster 2 times fired it one time and put the perp down. no charges filed. Come to find out dude that i put down was a cop killer. had to clean my gun and my shorts.. all is well

It's not in anyone's interest to post blow-by-blows on an internet forum. It's buying potential trouble from Law Enforcement. Cops and Prosecutors DO read this forum ya know.

Mabye you might want to think about leaving your bomb shelter every once in a while and socialize. Cops and prosecutors do read this forum AND make positive contributions. Were all anti crime, arent we?

Mabye you might want to think about leaving your bomb shelter every once in a while and socialize. Cops and prosecutors do read this forum AND make positive contributions. Were all anti crime, arent we?

How true. last thing i worry about on here is a cop or a prosecutors useing any info on me .. If you are in a good shoot dont worry about it.. if you are wrong then look out

Some years before that we were in Utah when three guys tried kicking in the door to our motel room at ~2am. Bad tactic on my part but I drew back the curtains covering the window and they saw me standing there holding a Glock 19

I had the same thing happen to me about 15 years ago in Seattle, and I reacted the same way, opened the curtain, tapped on the window with my Glock, then they left real fast. Didn't get back to sleep though....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top