JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a two Clasico Corned Beef and one can of Ox & Palm brand. The Clasico one is from Brazil and Ox & Palm one is from Australia. Not going over board but picked up few cans when I go to the store like every other week. I do keep a list and what brand and when does it expire so we can rotate what cans we eat first.

A3995DD4-2ABE-45D8-9389-590431C69665.jpeg

Eat as-is out of the can or do you water soak it like a full size fresh corned beef to de salinate it first?

I can't speak for @arakboss. For us: the shredded kind in round tins just taken straight out of the can. The type can comes in the squarish cans with a key, refrigerate for a short spell to make it slice easy, remove from can, and slice into desired sizes. :)

I can't speak for @arakboss. For us: the shredded kind in round tins just taken straight out of the can. The type can comes in the squarish cans with a key, refrigerate for a short spell to make it slice easy, remove from can, and slice into desired sizes. :)
I've only ever had the square can kind.. with bread and lots of mustard! Yum

Smaller one meal sizes are the best. If you lose electricity for days thus refrigeration you could lose quite a bit of food due to spoilage from larger sizes. Just a consideration to keep in mind.
This is a real concern I have with canned meats. I love the corned beef unheated out the can. But I couldn't enjoy a 12oz can all in one sitting. So with no refrigeration what do you do with the remaining portion. Same goes for 12oz cans of chicken and roast beef. How long might the remaining portion last if you just cover it or stick it in a tupperware container at room temp? Maybe with all the salt it would last until the next day?

Spam is pretty tasty fried up in a pan. Especially with a little teriyaki sauce in the pan. Costco has good deals on it.

The canned chunk chicken from Costco is ok too.

Various brands of corned beef hash; try different ones till you find one you like, and buy a case of it. Again, fried in a pan it's pretty tasty.

And what has been mentioned about salt; yes, none of this stuff is good for a steady diet, but will get you by in a pinch.

Don't forget the Pilot Bread crackers. I also really lIke B&M Brown Bread, which comes in cans.
My uncle that was in the Marines once told me "You can do lots of things with Spam. Eating isn't one of them."
:D

This is a real concern I have with canned meats. I love the corned beef unheated out the can. But I couldn't enjoy a 12oz can all in one sitting. So with no refrigeration what do you do with the remaining portion. Same goes for 12oz cans of chicken and roast beef. How long might the remaining portion last if you just cover it or stick it in a tupperware container at room temp? Maybe with all the salt it would last until the next day?

At room temp? Wouldn't trust it next day. Maybe fine tho, say evening meal & use up in the morning.

However this time of year? Mayhaps get creative. Reasonable vermin safe container in an unheated garage, or outside.

Outside depends if one commonly has raccoons (or bear) as to how far creative to get for a vermin free container.

Empty cooler with ratchet straps may suffice for raccoons, maybe.

Unheated garage? Large cookie tin would seem the simplest.

Summer time? No HVAC? No way, not worth the risks.

IMO

My better half has written down all of the expiration dates and what the cans contain so we eating canned goods that will expire in November of 2020. Probably won't go bad since we ate some soup that expired last year. The soup did not smell bad and we just heated it up and ate it.

On multiple self-guided trips to Alaska, canned meats were a true godsend. Rice, instant potatoes, and pasta types were the complement, and dishes created from canned ham, chicken, tuna and beef actually cooked in camp (and enhanced with spices and local ingredients: blueberries, juniper) were above and beyond any freeze-dried prohibitively expensive meals.

Not ham, but I added some of these to the larder.

calamar.jpg

Oh, you love it! Well, maybe not. Though I did enjoy a can, with a cold one, while wife took nap and little ones played in the other room. :p

I support GOYA but I can not support eating that. Bon Appetit

You are in good in company, friend; my wife will not consume squid under any circumstance. Hence eating on the sly. Well, she did fry up some calamari steaks not long ago for yours-truly. Relationship growth? Haha, perhaps in some weird respect. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top