JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about picking up a few cans. Have any of you tried it? Good or pass? What about other canned meat? This will be used as survival food for the next 2 months. I have used Spam and Vienna sausage and find it ok.

Dak canned hams are good. Other meats; we do a lot with various canned corned beef. This kind of shredded beef is really good:

91kmPXXosPL._SL1500_.jpg

While canned meats can be tasty and have a good shelf life, they also tend to be very high in salt content. It's always good to have some on hand but I wouldn't rely on it entirely.

DAK has a fair amount of processing water in it, but still good. You can generally get the 1-lb cans at Amazon for seven bucks a can with free shipping. That is not a bad deal.

Vienna sausage isn't that good but I can tolerate it in chili.

One really cheap deal that isn't bad is the Libby's Sausage Gravy in the 15 oz cans. You can get a dozen of them for about 16 dollars. Add lots of salt and especially pepper. There's a lot of real sausage in it, but boy is it BLAND lol. Goes good on buttered toast or bread.

Spam...well everybody likes that. Hawaiians serve it in restaurants.

Spam is pretty tasty fried up in a pan. Especially with a little teriyaki sauce in the pan. Costco has good deals on it.

The canned chunk chicken from Costco is ok too.

Various brands of corned beef hash; try different ones till you find one you like, and buy a case of it. Again, fried in a pan it's pretty tasty.

And what has been mentioned about salt; yes, none of this stuff is good for a steady diet, but will get you by in a pinch.

Don't forget the Pilot Bread crackers. I also really lIke B&M Brown Bread, which comes in cans.

Canned ham is tasty. But as others said above, it's salty. So are most canned meats, it's part of the preservation thing. Canned corned beef hash, tasty but very greasy. The canned chunk chicken mentioned above, buy the quality stuff. Some of the cheaper stuff isn't worth eating. But canned chicken in any case is nowhere near as salty as canned beef or pork products. Canned ham vs. Spam, the ham is less fatty.

Canned bread. We don't see much of that anymore. The B&M product mentioned is one of the few. US Army C rats, some of those used to contain little cans of white bread, had a slightly weird flavor but was edible. My grandmother used to send me cans of bread when I was in Vietnam, it had chunks of apricots in it. Very tasty, can't be found now.

The pilot crackers = hard tack equivalent. Edible but when bought in #10 cans, you get really quite tired of them by the bottom of the can.

DAK has a fair amount of processing water in it, but still good. You can generally get the 1-lb cans at Amazon for seven bucks a can with free shipping. That is not a bad deal.

Vienna sausage isn't that good but I can tolerate it in chili.

One really cheap deal that isn't bad is the Libby's Sausage Gravy in the 15 oz cans. You can get a dozen of them for about 16 dollars. Add lots of salt and especially pepper. There's a lot of real sausage in it, but boy is it BLAND lol. Goes good on buttered toast or bread.

Spam...well everybody likes that. Hawaiians serve it in restaurants.

Mixing libbys sausage gravy in a big pott Of rice is good and your good to go for a few days .It even passes for breakfast.

We get those canned hams once in a while. My wife coats them in a spicy brown mustard/brown sugar/cloves glaze and smokes them in our smoker for a few hours. After they cool we slice it up. Great with eggs for breakfast and in sandwiches for lunch. No idea ho long they keep though, seems like they only last a couple of days around here.

Last Edited:
While canned meats can be tasty and have a good shelf life, they also tend to be very high in salt content. It's always good to have some on hand but I wouldn't rely on it entirely.
That's a very good point but as long as I have a heat source I will either cook or simply boil them to remove the salt.

We've had some of the DAC Hams make half a dozen yearly trips back and forth to Canada on our boat and
they were still good with fried eggs. :)

Costco has some really good stuff with long storage life if you look around. Like the Indian Lentils in foil packs, heat and serve with rice, and maybe throw in a lb. of ground beef. YUMMY! :D

Smaller one meal sizes are the best. If you lose electricity for days thus refrigeration you could lose quite a bit of food due to spoilage from larger sizes. Just a consideration to keep in mind.

Canned meats in general aren't my thing. Chicken and tuna is ok but ham, corned beef and the like are too salty and processed for me to consider them "food". In a pinch sure but I don't think carrying around heavy cans of meat in a BUG is the best answer.

Cans are better for bug-in or prepositioned stashes, MRE-style packets for mobility.

What about meat like jerky? Is there a way to keep it fresh for long periods of time? I know it has high salt content but it seems that it's probably better for you than canned meat…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top