JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every month, my sister and her husband take veterans with spinal cord injuries to the gun range to let them shoot rimfire pistols and rifles. Last month they didn't go because they couldn't find ammo to buy.

I can spare 2 bricks of .22lr to get them through their next monthly session.

Can I legally mail this ammo from Washington to Missouri?

You can't send ammunition through the mail. Just send it UPS or FedEx.

That's a great gesture on your part. Please thank your sister and husband for their service to our veterans. :s0155:

for what they are doing you should not sell it to them you should donate it to them. don't be so cheap

I didn't notice the OP saying anything about selling? As others have said you can send it just not through USPS. UPS seems to be the easiest and cheapest, declare it, slap an ORM-D label on it and send it to your Sister who is doing an amazing thing.

Does she do it through an organization or do they do it on their own? If I can get a mans good word that it will go directly to the veterans I can spare some Remington Golden Bullet. Just need an address.

Does she do it through an organization or do they do it on their own? If I can get a mans good word that it will go directly to the veterans I can spare some Remington Golden Bullet. Just need an address.

Background.
I'm a Vietnam era vet, Poppa was a Korean combat vet, Aunt Maggie was an Army nurse in WWII, her daughter was stationed in Vietnam as a nurse, Great Uncle John used to tell me stories about his gas mask in WWI, we even have Civil War vets in our family. My nephew {sisters middle child} spent 2 tours in Iraq and 1 tour in Afghanistan. Our family has served in every branch of the service.

My Word.
"They", to the best of my knowledge, do this on their own. My brother-in-law {his son is going to college on a shooting scholarship} is an instructor at the gun range where they take these Vets. I've packaged up my 2 bricks of ammo this morning, according to the above instructions :) , and will send them off tomorrow. Let's say that I believe 100% that any ammo 'donated' will be used for the Vets and I will ask my sister to send photos of the fun.

To soften the sting of giving up ammo, I will send a Molon Labe sign to anyone donating at least one brick of .22lr to my sister's monthly trip to the range with these veterans. Signs are 22" x 5.5" cedar as shown below.

SignMolonLabe.jpg

I do apologize on my statement above guess I was more tired than I thought and saw something there that wasn't there go ahead and :s0109: I deserve it.

Thank you nwwoodsman and xlsbob for your offer to help keep these Vets shooting. PMs have been sent. I look forward to posting some photos of bullets going down range :)

My sister phoned to tell me she has received 2 shipments of ammo and she sounded pretty excited about it :) Just so the rest of you know, Mister Oknow, of the foot in mouth comment above, donated enough cash for her to buy some ammo when it is available :) We had a great chat while he was in town!

I've learned that this monthly shoot for veterans is a program of their local VFW Hall. Just so happens my sister and her husband are the folks doing the actual work. Their womens auxiliary is currently making wheel chair friendly bath robes for guys at the V.A. home. Very different from my childhood memories of the Dads getting drunk at the VFW Hall...

My sister also told me that her son, after 8 years in the Army, has signed a new 6 year contract. Looks like we have another lifer in the family. I'm a little mixed about that because I was so happy to think he was a short-timer and wouldn't be deployed again. Sigh

Thanks to everyone who helped out. I think we have them covered for the next 2 months and now their VFW has some extra money for other veteran programs. :)

Marsha Gebhard Napoli said, "I would like to give a big thank you to Butch Elrod, Naomi Dschaak, Freja Elrod, Bob Magill, and trucker Ed A.K.A. O-know. For your donation that will help us continue our monthly shooting program for disabled Vets. And also a big thank you to the Missouri Department of Conservation Jay Hinges shooting Range, for allowing us free range over all the facilities every first Monday of the month. The Range is closed to the Public on Mondays, so we get the whole place to ourselves. Thank you everyone and God bless all of you."

Twenty-plus images of their monthly shooting event are uploaded HERE. Most are from the trap shooting area because, as you will see, the lighting wasn't ideal on the rifle range. A few are posted here.

The tall guy in the white shirt is my brother-in-law and the young kid helping is his son.

VetShoot-1.jpg
VetShoot-8.jpg
VetShoot-16.jpg

May I suggest that if people are wanting to donate ammo, you make it available to drop off to you so can ship as one package? Paying $40 to ship $15 in 22lr ammo is kind of a big drawback (ORMD fees).

I'd be fine with consolidating donations. I'm in Kennewick, WA which is quite a ways from where most forum members are located. Suggestions?

Actual shipping cost to send my 2 bricks was $19.50. Certainly a drawback. However, the real problem of ammo not being on the shelf is a temporary one and we have them covered for at least 2 months. Any one wanting to donate dollars directly to that VFW post in support can help that way. I'll get the address and contact info for donations...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top