JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why are we talking about crimping and 9mm?

65 gabillion rounds loaded - lead, coated, plated, fmj... Never a "crimp".

Set the seater so your round plunks, call it good.

Canalure works if you decide to load them in your 38 SPL, not needed in 9mm. Many here seem to forget the 9mm is supposed to set up on the case mouth not headspace on the rim like rimmed cases do. So you want some rim sticking up not rolled tight like a 38 or 357.
The bullet is held in place by the friction of the case walls not the crimp! If your OAL and Case length are in tolerances you shouldn't have any problems with your loads, to my eye your load looks spot on! Take the barrel out of your gun and use it as a go-no go gage.
Gabby

I have found a new way to crimp them!

crimp.jpg

crimp.jpg

Not trying to be a dick, really, but if you google "Oglive" nothing to do with bullets/projectiles comes up.:s0094:

I used to have a baseball glove "Ben Oglive" and watched him when he played for the Tigers.

The round looks good. You can be more aggressive with the taper, too. Many of my 9mm and 40S&W look like MikeJ's.
Plunk test is a good idea, but when I first started reloading, I had one pistol where the round would pass the plunk test but was a few mils too long, and the slide would not return to battery properly. There was a very slight difference in how it would "plunk". Once you have your dies set properly, make sure the locking rings are properly tightened against the press head so they don't move at all.
I've never owned a case gauge, but do use a caliper.

I used to have a baseball glove "Ben Oglive" and watched him when he played for the Tigers.

The round looks good. You can be more aggressive with the taper, too. Many of my 9mm and 40S&W look like MikeJ's.
Plunk test is a good idea, but when I first started reloading, I had one pistol where the round would pass the plunk test but was a few mils too long, and the slide would not return to battery properly. There was a very slight difference in how it would "plunk". Once you have your dies set properly, make sure the locking rings are properly tightened against the press head so they don't move at all.
I've never owned a case gauge, but do use a caliper.

Yep, that's what happened with the Kimber Pro Aegis we got for Wifey, had to drop to 1.085. Then I got the Tanfoglio Elite Limited and had to drop to 1.070. It's the Montana Gold bullets I use, they have a long bearing surface, compared to factory ammo.

It is important to take the possibilities of over pressure into account when going below the OAL in the recipe. In these rounds I mention, I run the lowest charge weight recommended, and even .1gr-.3gn below some recipes recommendations.

I've struggled long and hard to get my 9mm working properly.

Even with "OAL" set and fitting in my other 9s, the PPX simply requires a shorter OAL than the SAMMI prints.

The 'plunk test' is a good one for OAL testing in those situations were you aren't sure. IIRC, and this is a WAG, the SAMMI OAL for my 124 RNL was "1.something or other". I did load thousands to that length, and they fit the Other Guns perfectly.

Comes now the PPX, and "no fittee"......shortening them a few .000 as you list here, made them work for OAL.

To my eye, the crimp looks fine IF it survives the 'plunk test'.

Good luck.

65 gabillion rounds loaded - lead, coated, plated, fmj... Never a "crimp".
I have to agree but only with maybe a few million rounds loaded - yea I am a newbee!! (not really) Seriously though if your expander is the proper size and the bullets cannot be pushed back into the case with hand pressure against a solid surface then crimping is not needed. While some prefer a light taper crimp you'll find much better consistency with no crimp as 9mm was intended. Any crimp can slightly alter the case headspace and while I cannot speak for all guns my CZ was very particular with my first reloads until I got the 'bugs' (and OAL length issues) worked out and NO CRIMP.

Yes, properly setup, a seater will remove any belling without 'crimping'. There's very little real estate for the 9mm (any cartridge that headspaces off the mouth) to perch. As stated, over crimp it and you may have headspace issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top