JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I'm slowly beginning to reload and would like some input on my round.

Here's the specs:
Lee classic turret with lee 9mm 4 die set.
Cci 500 small pistol primers.
Polished brass from Amazon
T&B 124 grain 9mm lead bullet
4.5 grains of ramshot silhouette powder.
OAL 1.115

My biggest question is how the crimp looks. Too little? Too much? Just right?

Any thoughts appreciated. image.jpg
If the photo of the shell doesn't show its because I'm an idiot.

image.jpg

Get a case gage. You can also run your finger nail up the cartridge towards the bullet to feel a very slight transition, you don't need much crimp, but get a case gage. :)

Suggestion:

Each reloading manual usually has a detailed drawing of the cartridges that are listed. Check the diameter at the case mouth where is shows a loaded round. As an example, .45 ACP shows a crimp diameter in a range of .465 to .471 in most cases. I crimp to .470.

If you don't have some calipers, get some--and measure.

The taper crimp looks ok where I can see a little narrowing behind the bullet base bulge. You don't want to see any space between the brass rim and the bullet. Good suggestions above. My first thought however is the bullet doesn't look seated deeply enough. Are you sure on your COL for that bullet, and if you don't have calipers, how do you know? If I didn't have calipers, I would take a factory round nose bullet and use it to set the crimp and seating depth.

I'm no expert, but I do like to run my mouth. When I started loading 40 S&W I got a case gauge but before too long I stopped using it and never got one for 9mm or my other loads. It isn't wrong or bad to use one, but I never found it to give me any insight or value to my reloads.

Your OAL looks fine to my eye, a 124gr will jut out there quite a bit. I'd maybe go a little bit harder on the crimp, it looks to be flared just a touch on the rim but trust your own judgement since you get to feel and measure the rounds before and after crimp. You can also pull a bullet to see how much effort is required and if you went too far and started to gouge the bullet.

The taper crimp looks ok where I can see a little narrowing behind the bullet base bulge. You don't want to see any space between the brass rim and the bullet. Good suggestions above. My first thought however is the bullet doesn't look seated deeply enough. Are you sure on your COL for that bullet, and if you don't have calipers, how do you know? If I didn't have calipers, I would take a factory round nose bullet and use it to set the crimp and seating depth.
I do have a set of calipers and have checked the OAL at least twenty times and compared it to some factory Winchester ball.

The "base bulge" was of some concern to me as I didn't realize it would be there. I'm reading that 9mm has a bit of a coke bottle shape and is to be expected.

That round looks a little long to me too. Does it fit in your magazine ok? Can you fit more than one or two rounds in your magazine when they are loaded to that length? Does it cycle in your action and go into full battery ok? If yes on all three then you are probably good to go!

Suggestion:

Each reloading manual usually has a detailed drawing of the cartridges that are listed. Check the diameter at the case mouth where is shows a loaded round. As an example, .45 ACP shows a crimp diameter in a range of .465 to .471 in most cases. I crimp to .470.

If you don't have some calipers, get some--and measure.

Yeah what he said, not a big fan of that TB 124gr only because of the Oglive ( think I spelled it right Maybe LOL )

Long story short .... check with calipers and use your barrel for the clunk test.

This will get you by, my same round worked in all my 9mm guns except my M&P and another person's M&P.

Had loaded 124gr X Treme to the Same OAL as the TB and they worked in the M&P. It's all in the bullet geometry .

I could of just seated them deeper to make them work, but that would drive up the pressures. I just shot them up in a gun that worked with them.

Good looking round though.

If you can not shove the bullet in buy hand, cartridge against a solid surface, pushing by hand, no tools, you should be ok.. take 1 or 2 apart and look at the crimp. you won't loose anything, just reload.

If you can not shove the bullet in buy hand, cartridge against a solid surface, pushing by hand, no tools, you should be ok.. take 1 or 2 apart and look at the crimp. you won't loose anything, just reload.
Setback test is an excellent idea. Same with taking apart a few rounds for inspection. For 9mm, the crimp line shouldn't be anything more than a whisper, if any at all. All you're doing for 9mm is removing the bell from the expansion die.

I think it's a beautiful round! The sides ( bearing surface) of the bullet look very tall. I use Montana Gold 124gr and they have a taller bearing surface too. I've needed to shorten OAL to 1.085 for one gun and 1.070 for another. The "Thunk" test is dropping the round, (dummy round might not hurt before you load up 50-100+), to make sure it's not too long. If it stops before the case mouth contacts the end of the chamber "Thunk" you need to shorten the OAL. If you do cut OAL you also need to consider charge weight. DO look at different books recipes, you'll see differences.

Cripes, I see me going way past what you were asking. The round in the pic looks fine, other than OAL. My 9mm rounds frequently have a slightly visible bulge at the base of the bullet in the case. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and I attribute it to my Lee sizing die being the tiniest bit small. Crimp, test mentioned above by Happy Roman. Thunk test. If you tap on the base of the round dropped in the barrel and it's sticks so you can't easily pull it out with you fingernail it's too long.

These shoot fine in five different handguns...sorry about the ramblingo_O

P1040109.JPG

P1040109.JPG

I would have to say, after comparison, that your round wouldn't chamber in some 9mm guns due to the barrel lands being closer to the chamber in some guns more than others.

I would have to say, after comparison, that your round wouldn't chamber in some 9mm guns due to the barrel lands being closer to the chamber in some guns more than others.

Oglive
Google it
Basically look at is TB from the case to the tip. It's the radius that's 2 wide.

SHORTER OAL
Drives case pressures UP.

Just took a picture of my TB and the X TREME same OAL Same 124gr weight.

Grant it plated vs lead cast .
But tens of thousands of rds and years of USPSA, and using various brands of lead cast.

I've never seen an shape (Oglive) has I see o the TB before .

20151229_072034.jpg

20151229_072034.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top