JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am moving from Alaska back to Oregon soon, and I want to thin out my collection once I get there. I know the laws on private sales have changed since I left Oregon, so of course I will go through an FFL and so forth.

My question is pretty much the same as the title. I won't have Oregon residency for a year, so am I legally allowed to sell firearms to an OR resident if I am still technically an AK resident?

So I am moving from Alaska back to Oregon soon, and I want to thin out my collection once I get there. I know the laws on private sales have changed since I left Oregon, so of course I will go through an FFL and so forth.

My question is pretty much the same as the title. I won't have Oregon residency for a year, so am I legally allowed to sell firearms to an OR resident if I am still technically an AK resident?

So let's parse this out a bit... you're going to move to Oregon "soon", but you won't have residency for about a year. "Soon" being a relative term, I assume it will be an extended process or something.

Having said that... the main concern is if the purchaser is legally able to purchase a firearm not the residency status of the seller. The second concern is if the firearm is listed as stolen. When an Oregon Resident purchases a firearm through an Oregon FFL, the FFL goes through the Oregon State Police firearms backgound unit via either the telephone or the OSP website for FFL dealers.

The purchaser's info is submitted for the background check and the make, model, and serial number of firearm are submitted against the stolen firearms lists.

In short, as a resident of Alaska you can indeed sell any legally possessed privately owned firearm in Oregon to an Oregon resident through a FFL.

Last Edited:
Why limit it to just Oregon purchasers... Whaddaya got fer sale??? :)

Because I apparently was going by the requirements for residency when it comes to college tuition, and now that I look up the actual state regulations I see that I just have to declare myself a resident and get an OR license.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top