JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Aquifers are being drained down here in LG, and across the U.S.. Some day we will see a renewal of the old timey fights over water. It's been coming.

How many years does it take for water to seep thru layers of terra? 150yrs at Zion park. So we never catch up, eh?

Now where do you suppose all that fracking mixture and Handford leakage goes. HMMMMM?

Aquifers are being drained everywhere.

Even here where we have above average rainfall (I get twice the precip. that the valley does) our aquifers are going down; my neighbor had to drop his pump another 40 feet because the water level has dropped 20+ feet in his well since he has been here. Fortunately I am on a slightly different aquifer; my well is 120' deep, the water is at 60' and the pump at 80' - neighbor's wells are between 300' and 500'.

Yes, the ag business has a lot of power in Calif and they do use most of the water. OTOH, Food is more important than lawns - there is little harm in letting a lawn go brown. If a crop fails, then somebody has to pay more for their food (or doesn't get to eat) and the farmer loses money - from there it is a downward spiral; most farmers live crop to crop, they can't afford to lose a crop just because someone wants pretty flowers in their yard.

I lived all over the state when I was a bit younger. Green lawns in a desert just irk the hell out of me. HOAs requiring pristine grass, golf courses running sprinklers in the heat of the day, the Hollywood crowd with green yards the size of golf courses, it's sickening.

Last Edited:
we said things so stupid

Tell me how you really feel... School me Brother Coastie!!!!

However, I disagree with the approach that ALL of those massive land tracks are unusable desert. Most of what I was referring to is rolling plains that is plenty habitable. Wyoming, Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma... If you don't recognize that, you are either being selective or you haven't traveled much. A lot of that land produces food already, corn, wheat, etc, and wouldn't require much to increase the population density... just gotta get some land back from the Ethanol producing corporations. :rolleyes:

IMO population density is where it is because of the dust bowl migrations, and then politics. For years our masters have been trying to get those unruly, independent, voters in flyover country into the population centers where they can become dependent and passive.

I wonder how it will effect those who have wells or water rights to streams on their own property.

My friend owns a place on the Tualatin R. It's an old place and when he bought it the deed shows he owns property to the middle of the river and the water too. He's build a dock while sone neighbors can't as their property ends at high water mark. He pulls water from the river to water his lawn as well (and wonders why his lawn is always dead LOL!!!)

I am all for the free market. I was not saying people should not be allowed to raise nursery stock, I am just saying that it is disturbing to me to drive along back roads I have driven for decades and see land that used to produce food crops now producing landscaping plants.

When it comes to a head, converting land that raises trees and shrubs to land that can produce food efficiently instead, will take years - even with some food crops it takes years to go from one crop to another - especially with orchards.

There will come a time, surely after I am gone, when having relatively level arable land with a good well, a decent southern exposure, a good garden and some fruit trees, a well insulated home and solar panels will be the difference between living a decent life and barely surviving, it at all. I intend to leave such a place for my daughter - or at least the start of one.
I can relate.

We can try! o_O

They sure are with the fish by golly...
With resource manager's micromanaging the salmon and steelhead recovery it is not looking good.
The fact of the matter is the reason hatcheries exist it's because of the commercial overfishing in the oceans and the Columbia.
Now they want too close to Hatchery to save the unclipped Hatchery fish that are out there that they call Wild natives. They do not exist. Call me cynical but that's my opinion.

Last Edited:
ECD905E0-47A8-4DAB-80F4-F954B66B58C9.png We need Thanos to snap his finger and "poof!!" Half the worlds population will disappear!! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
There have been AMAZING advances in "Astro turf" products to substitute for grass lawns (that require watering and regular mowing).... it's starting to become quite the thing in Australia.

The larger issue however is they'll start by rationing the water, then next thing you know they'll mandate TP dispensers that only allow three-squares twice per day..... THAT'S going to mark the real SHTF moment (pun intended).
Ever walk bare-foot on artificial turf? It's like those dudes that subject themselves to walking on glowing coals

Aquifers are being drained everywhere.

Even here where we have above average rainfall (I get twice the precip. that the valley does) our aquifers are going down; my neighbor had to drop his pump another 40 feet because the water level has dropped 20+ feet in his well since he has been here. Fortunately I am on a slightly different aquifer; my well is 120' deep, the water is at 60' and the pump at 80' - neighbor's wells are between 300' and 500'.
My brother just went 800 feet to get 6 gpm...........

Why do I just feel that the Kommiefornika State Sinisters and Reprehensibles care nothing about the alarming drop in the pleistocene, (last ice age) aquifers and instead care considerably more about the command and control of the sheeple?

Income. Movement. Now water. Soon food.

Tell me how you really feel... School me Brother Coastie!!!!

However, I disagree with the approach that ALL of those massive land tracks are unusable desert. Most of what I was referring to is rolling plains that is plenty habitable. Wyoming, Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma... If you don't recognize that, you are either being selective or you haven't traveled much. A lot of that land produces food already, corn, wheat, etc, and wouldn't require much to increase the population density... just gotta get some land back from the Ethanol producing corporations. :rolleyes:

IMO population density is where it is because of the dust bowl migrations, and then politics. For years our masters have been trying to get those unruly, independent, voters in flyover country into the population centers where they can become dependent and passive.

Oh sure, there is habitable land that is sparsely populated - mostly because there are few jobs there. But a lot of that land is also farm land. Start putting houses on that land and you reduce the acreage that produces food.

The USA can more or less be self-sufficient if we wanted it to be, but there are a lot of corps and politicians that want us to be "number one" and to have "progress"/etc. without slowing down to do it the right way - the way that we could do it if we wanted to. Not going to happen. We will keep polluting and destroying and concentrating in metro areas until we can't do it anymore. Calif. is just at the bleeding edge of that trend.

My brother just went 800 feet to get 6 gpm...........
I think I get about 30 GPM or so. I tested with one 5 gallon bucket so it is hard to tell. The pressure inside the house is less due to the pipes, but at an outside spigot 50 yards from the well I got pretty good results. I would have to test with a much larger container to be sure, but that is my estimate. I think I am pretty lucky actually.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top