JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guy's I've been following the chatter on 594 and a question arose, is it going to essentially invalidate my C&R license? From the language of the bill It certainly sounds like it is, but I just thought I would get a second opinion.

It would seem that it does invalidate a C&R license.
Sec. 2(4) "Dealer" means a person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail who has, or is required to have, a federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a). A person who does not have, and is not required to have, a federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a), is not a dealer if that person makes only occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or sells all or part of his or her personal collection of firearms.
Sec. 2(13) "Licensed dealer" means a person who is federally licensed under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a).
Sec. 2(26) "Unlicensed person" means any person who is not a licensed dealer under this chapter.
Sec. 3. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons.
(2) No person shall sell or transfer a firearm unless:
(a) The person is a licensed dealer;
(b) The purchaser or transferee is a licensed dealer; or
(c) The requirements of subsection (3) of this section are met.
(3) Where neither party to a prospective firearms transaction is a licensed dealer, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale or transfer through a licensed dealer as follows:
Sec. 3 almost seems to offer an exemption for C&R holders with this; " shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law", but then is is followed by the very next sentence and subsections 2 and 3 dealing with the defined "licensed dealer".

I am wondering if this could help, even if in a small way, in getting this piece of tripe thrown out.

This is a good time to be contacting your rep to mention this. They can still amend it through legislative action. Not one of them will know what a C&R license is so they need to hear that the law will hurt collectors.

We have a similar problem here in Oregon. We're required to get background checks at gun shows with an exemption for "Dealers" as defined in the CFR. Unfortunately "Dealers" doesn't include "Collectors", the definition for which occupies a different spot in the CFR. Good luck!

We have a similar problem here in Oregon. We're required to get background checks at gun shows with an exemption for "Dealers" as defined in the CFR. Unfortunately "Dealers" doesn't include "Collectors", the definition for which occupies a different spot in the CFR. Good luck!
Im sure we will get overlooked when they put in the new bills this session. Hopefully we can catch their attention. I dont plan to for background checks for $20 broken 100 year old guns to work on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top