JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon resident here…….Looking at buying a rascal .22 from Sportsmans.

The clackamas Sportsman's store just told me if I go to WA sportsman I'd be able to bring on the gun same day.

Truth? Anyone recently done this?

Oregon resident here…….Looking at buying a rascal .22 from Sportsmans.

The clackamas Sportsman's store just told me if I go to WA sportsman I'd be able to bring on the gun same day.

Truth? Anyone recently done this?
The answer is what anyone tells you here may or may not be true. BEFORE you load up and drive across the bridge I would call the shop and ask them. If you drive over and the shop says no they will not care what you heard here. The FFL has to honor both your states laws as well as Fed law. Since this new law keeps getting tossed around a lot of FFL's may not want to even touch it. Call on on this side of the bridge and ask them. See what they say.

The answer is what anyone tells you here may or may not be true. BEFORE you load up and drive across the bridge I would call the shop and ask them. If you drive over and the shop says no they will not care what you heard here. The FFL has to honor both your states laws as well as Fed law. Since this new law keeps getting tossed around a lot of FFL's may not want to even touch it. Call on on this side of the bridge and ask them. See what they say.
Good call.

Looks like I will Have to pass on that new Sig Cross, because I isn't giving up $1600 plus Wa sales tax $160,
Eff. July 1, 2019, Wash. state doesn't do point of sale tax exemptions. What you have to do is apply to the Wash. Dept. of Revenue for a refund of the state portion of the tax, which is 6.5%. Anything over that amount is not the state's portion, and unless you can get it back from lower taxing entities, probably not recoverable. You're allowed to do the refund application with the DOR only once a calendar year, so if you are making multiple purchases "over the border," you save them all up and apply annually the following year.

Note, people with dual state residency one of which is Wash. are not eligible.

Minimum amounts apply. Seems to me that it's a pain in the posterior unless the amount is significant.

The inconsistent state laws that have come about bilaterally between Wash. and Ore. have sure complicated what used to be pretty simple for non-resident firearms transactions. But this is just more of the piling-on of all kinds of laws, which in the main become difficult to enforce in their enormity. Meaning, there are just so many of them with relatively few enforcement devices. So it seems to me that if a person can find a dealer who will do the transfer with a minimum of hassle, who is going to care? Yes, the ATF comes around to check on federal compliance by dealers from time to time. But who from Wash. goes around to Ore. dealers to check enforcement; and who from Ore. will go across the river and check on Wash. dealers? On what authority? Will the ATF rat out dealers to respective states? It's all too much.

The example in my mind is the "Litter Bag Law." Just one of those very many, nagging little laws that was some legislator's pet rock at one time. How often did people get written up for not having a litter bag in their car? I guess never because the law was repealed in 2003. But it's a rare law that gets repealed, once on the books, they tend to hang around.

"Oregonians cannot go out of state to purchase firearms either. We're basically being held hostage by 114 because firearms dealers have to respect the laws of a person's home state."
I've noticed a lot of Iaho talk and.... I guess my big question is.... why the HE-double hockey sticks would you want to go out of state to buy a long gun (rifle, shotgun, etc) and go running to an FFL in the first place.... when.... private party sales are completely legal, don't require a BGC (or ID for that matter) or any FFL interference of any kind?

Just askin for a friend....

I've noticed a lot of Iaho talk and.... I guess my big question is.... why the HE-double hockey sticks would you want to go out of state to buy a long gun (rifle, shotgun, etc) and go running to an FFL in the first place.... when.... private party sales are completely legal ;) , don't require a BGC (or ID for that matter) or any FFL interference of any kind?

Just askin for a friend....
Some people dont like committing federal felonies. wimos.

Last Edited:
Yeah yeah. We already know your opinion on all of it. Bow, kneel, gooberment control is good, comply.... OR.... everyone WILL go to federal prison for 10 years or be forced to flee to a non-extridition country for the remainer of their days... like a bunch of your buddy's. It happened to them and it will surely happen to everyone.

Did I miss anything? :s0140:

Yeah yeah. We already know your opinion on all of it. Bow, kneel, gooberment control is good, comply.... OR.... everyone WILL go to federal prison for 10 years or be forced to flee to a non-extridition country for the remainer of their days... like a bunch of your buddy's. It happened to them and it will surely happen to everyone.

Did I miss anything? :s0140:
Yeah, except its not my opinion. It is committing a federal felony. You , who sometimes are ;) and sometimes aren't an FFL holder should know that.

Last Edited:
Yeah, except its not my opinion. It is committing a federal felony. You , who sometimes are and sometimes aren't an FFL holder should know that.
You need to read better or not confuse people. I have never once claimed to be an FFL holder. On the contrary, I've stated multiple times that I am not.

But you're right. I am quite familiar with federal and state laws. I also believe in the words of Thomas Jefferson, "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty", and, "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

That's certainly no secret to anyone that half knows me either. When it comes to the 2A, much of what is morally "legal" is based on intent, IMHO. Sometimes even by the black and white of a law... guilt or innocence is based on intent. It's for each to decide for themselves, but fearmongering over petty "technical" violations and threats of maximum penalties to try and coerse people of good conscience into compliance... because you personally believe compliance is mandatory... kinda not cool.

Just sayin. Thats all I have to say on the off topic agenda.👍

You need to read better or not confuse people. I have never once claimed to be an FFL holder. On the contrary, I've stated multiple times that I am not.

But you're right. I am quite familiar with federal and state laws. I also believe in the words of Thomas Jefferson, "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty", and, "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

That's certainly no secret to anyone that half knows me either. When it comes to the 2A, much of what is morally "legal" is based on intent, IMHO. Sometimes even by the black and white of a law... guilt or innocence is based on intent. It's for each to decide for themselves, but fearmongering over petty "technical" violations and threats of maximum penalties to try and coerse people of good conscience into compliance... because you personally believe compliance is mandatory... kinda not cool.

Just sayin. Thats all I have to say on the off topic agenda.👍
So Thomas Jeffersons opinion is law? Thomas Jeffersons opinion wasn't law when he was alive and it isn't law now. It was his opinion. I got opinions too but they dont keep me out of jail when I get caught breaking the law. You have stated it is legal to cross lines and purchase firearms in other states via non FFL private party sales. It is not legal , in any way. I dont see where the controversy is. You advocate for disregarding federal firearms law. I dont see how this is allowed on this forum but go for it. If you want to break federal law thats up to you but advocating that others break federal law on a firearms forum should be reason for a ban IMHO. On many it would be.

I must be confusing you with the other guy who was lying about being an FFL holder :)

Last Edited:
You have stated it is legal to cross lines and purchase firearms in other states via non FFL private party sales.

I must be confusing you with the other guy who was lying about being an FFL holder :)
I'll concede part of that. I didn't say it clearly enough... but "meant" by that remark that it was perfectly legal in IDAHO.... for a non resident to purchase long guns via private party, no BGC required, nor a requirement to even show ID. I was "assuming" readers already understood what OR and federal law was on the subject, since it's been covered ad nauseam in this thread, and if they didn't know... they wouldn't be discussing making trips over to Idaho in the FIRST place.

My bad.

Context is key!

Your "woke" is showing. 🤣 Making lightly veiled digs and inferences against others, that on it's face is a lie, runs deep among the woke. If you're going to call me a liar about claiming to be an FFL, man up or shut up.👍

Last Edited:
I'll concede part of that. I didn't say it clearly enough... but "meant" by that remark that it was perfectly legal in IDAHO.... for a non resident to purchase long guns via private party, no BGC required, nor a requirement to even show ID. I was "assuming" readers already understood what OR and federal law was on the subject, since it's been covered ad nauseam in this thread, and if they didn't know... they wouldn't be discussing making trips over to Idaho in the FIRST place.

My bad.

Context is key!

Your "woke" is showing. 🤣 Making lightly veiled digs and inferences against others, that on it's face is a lie, runs deep among the woke. If you're going to call me a liar, man up or shut up.👍
It is NOT perfectly legal for an Idaho resident to sell a firearm to a non Idaho resident private party. It is NOT perfectly legal for a non Idaho resident to purchase a firearm private party in Idaho. You lied about that. Stop advocating for others to break federal firearms laws ( felonies) on gun forums. There is no situation where purchasing a gun across any state lines via private party is legal ( dual residency excepted ).

Last Edited:
I had not thought of ID where its still legal to buy and sell. Is there a Fed Law against someone from here or OR going to ID and buying a gun this way? If so I had no idea as I have bought several from another state I was not a resident of before all this came up. When I was going back and forth between here and AZ I had bought from both places while I was still a resident of the other. If this is no "OK" I had no clue I was doing something that could get me in a bind. :eek:

I had not thought of ID where its still legal to buy and sell. Is there a Fed Law against someone from here or OR going to ID and buying a gun this way? If so I had no idea as I have bought several from another state I was not a resident of before all this came up. When I was going back and forth between here and AZ I had bought from both places while I was still a resident of the other. If this is no "OK" I had no clue I was doing something that could get me in a bind. :eek:
Yes, The gun control act of 1968 . There is no situation where it is legal to purchase a gun private party across state lines unless you have dual residency.

It is NOT perfectly legal for an Idaho resident to sell a firearm to a non Idaho resident private party. It is NOT perfectly legal for a non Idaho resident to purchase a firearm private party in Idaho. You lied about that. Stop advocating for others to break federal firearms laws ( felonies) on gun forums. There is no situation where purchasing a gun across any state lines via private party is legal.
Guys calm down a little and good info can be shared. I really had zero clue this was part of the Fed law on this. I assume part of GCA 68 Wired? Ignorance of the law is no excuse as the old line goes and I sure as hell did not know I was doing something wrong when I did it. One kid lives in ID and when we go up there I would of course have been looking at deals local to them. NO WAY in hell will I do it if its not legal but I really had no idea it was.

Guys calm down a little and good info can be shared. I really had zero clue this was part of the Fed law on this. I assume part of GCA 68 Wired? Ignorance of the law is no excuse as the old line goes and I sure as hell did not know I was doing something wrong when I did it. One kid lives in ID and when we go up there I would of course have been looking at deals local to them. NO WAY in hell will I do it if its not legal but I really had no idea it was.
Yep GCA of 68. No private party sales across state lines

• I am out of state can I still purchase items from your storefront?
Yes! We love for our out of state customers to come visit our retail showroom. You can purchase items in our showroom, depending on your states requirements will may have to ship your firearm to a local dealer in your state. All handguns will have to be transferred to your local FFL.
Longguns, in most cases, will be able to be purchased and taken home the same day. This will depend on your state of residence.

Well damn, thanks. Glad I found that out before I did it again. Often the problem with many of these laws. If you do not keep close tabs its easy to run afoul of one :mad:
Where it becomes a problem is if you get a gun stolen and you report it stolen and it gets recovered and the ATF institutes a trace. You really want to be on the receiving end of that phone call? Not only can it be potential jail time but it can be a career killer for someone in a law enforcement capacity.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top