JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I understand FFLs are suppose to follow the laws of both the State they operate in and the state that out of state customers reside in. That has not been happening and I have personal experience to know so. Oregon law requires FFLs to run background checks through the Oregon State Police (not directly through NICS), they also require that a stolen gun check be performed by the Oregon State Police. This happens simultaneously when running background check through OSP

I have purchased long guns in Washington and they did not run the background checks through the OSP. They ran them directly through the NICS system and did not do a stolen gun check through the OSP either.

I assume Idaho FFLs also run the background checks for Oregon buyers directly through NICS and do not run them through the OSP as is required by Oregon law.

In a post Measure 114 environment will WA and ID FFLs continue to run background checks for Oregon customers directly through NICS system or will they begin to follow Oregon law and run them through the OSP. Will they be performing stolen gun checks?

Edit: The reverse is also true. If a WA resident buys and transfers a firearm at an Oregon FFL, the Oregon FFL runs the background check through Oregon State Police (not directly through NICS) and they perform the stolen gun check. Post Measure 114, will Oregon FFLs require WA residents to provide permit to purchase when they try to buy a firearm in Oregon?

Last Edited:
Are any of our WA members planning on getting a permit to purchase so you can still buy long guns over here?
I can safely say no for me. I can't see any reason to. Last several rifles I bought were bought on line only because I could not find them locally. It was just a matter of paying and giving the selling FFL the name of the local FFL. So unless there was some screaming deals in OR that I could not just find in another state? Why pay for an OR permit. I guess if anyone up here makes a point of going there to buy for some reason they would I supposed have to get one.

If I was going to buy from an Oregonian, I'd have them bring the gun here and transfer it locally. I just did a trade with a fellow from Oregon He came up here so I could start the paper on his gun, then I followed him down to his shop and he got the ball rolling on getting my gun into his name. If 2 people are willing to work together then the whole deal is easy-peasy.

I was thinking there were some advantages for WA buyers to buy in Oregon?
OR does not have sales tax but, last I heard WA is of course doing everything they can to get that tax money from WA residents who go there to shop. Since I don't ever go down there have not paid much attention to how it works. Just had read WA was trying to of course plug that loss of tax revenue. WA may not care about crime against its citizens but don't let them think you are beating them out of any tax revenue. :s0140:

OR does not have sales tax but, last I heard WA is of course doing everything they can to get that tax money from WA residents who go there to shop. Since I don't ever go down there have not paid much attention to how it works. Just had read WA was trying to of course plug that loss of tax revenue. WA may not care about crime against its citizens but don't let them think you are beating them out of any tax revenue. :s0140:
Truth!

Are any of our WA members planning on getting a permit to purchase so you can still buy long guns over here?
Good question.
For me...nope.

Awhile back I did a trade with a Oregon forum member...and while the member was most excellent as was the FFL...
The long line in BGC queue was not.
Kinda killed it for me....can't imagine the wait now.
Add in that I need a permit to exercise a Right...that is just abhorrent.

That said since it looks like muzzle loaders are exempt from the draconian Measure 114 ...
I may still buy those.
Andy

Last Edited:
Bowel Movement 114 does not provide the mechanism for an out of state resident to obtain a permit to purchase. It only references the buyers residency jurisdiction to issue the permit.

114 does not provide the mechanism for an out of state resident to obtain a permit to purchase. It only references the buyers residency jurisdiction to issue the permit.
Out of state firearms purchases are outliers for the purposes of those writing up the bill. They likely had no idea such things even happen. This will probably wind up in the state AG's office for sorting out.

I want a long gun that currently resides only in Wa. I called the Wa store and told them I have a CPL and the last dozen transfers for me, two last week, were instant approvals. The store employee told me my Or & Wa CPL's don't mean anything if I purchase a long gun in wa.

I might have a long wait, is what I was told. WTF?

I want a long gun that currently resides only in Wa. I called the Wa store and told them I have a CPL and the last dozen transfers for me, two last week, were instant approvals. The store employee told me my Or & Wa CPL's don't mean anything if I purchase a long gun in wa.

I might have a long wait, is what I was told. WTF?
An FFL has to abide by both state and fed law. If you come to an FFL in WA showing them you are a resident of OR, the WA FFL still has to abide by the laws of the state you live in. New laws like this latest just make many get extra leery. Since it is them who have to hire lawyers if some AG decides to make a deal out of it.

An FFL has to abide by both state and fed law. If you come to an FFL in WA showing them you are a resident of OR, the WA FFL still has to abide by the laws of the state you live in. New laws like this latest just make many get extra leery. Since it is them who have to hire lawyers if some AG decides to make a deal out of it.
Looks like I will Have to pass on that new Sig Cross, because I isn't giving up $1600 plus Wa sales tax $160, only to be put on delay indefinitely. :(

Oregon resident here. Does anyone know if I can buy a stripped lower receiver in WA and take it home relatively quickly? I recall, before one of WA's recent bad laws I filled out the ATF form and was driving home in 20 minutes. I know there is a waiting period now for rifles, but what about regulated parts like a lower?

I don't have a concealed carry permit so I doubt I'd make the cut-off over here, and I got some projects in mind.

Last Edited:
Edit: The reverse is also true. If a WA resident buys and transfers a firearm at an Oregon FFL, the Oregon FFL runs the background check through Oregon State Police (not directly through NICS) and they perform the stolen gun check. Post Measure 114, will Oregon FFLs require WA residents to provide permit to purchase when they try to buy a firearm in Oregon?
My guess would be yes. The language seems to apply to "purchases in OR" and not "oregonians must..."

The question then becomes can a non-resident obtain a purchase permit? I'm gonna guess that's a big fat "no". ;)

Oregon resident here. Does anyone know if I can buy a stripped lower receiver in WA and take it home relatively quickly? I recall, before one of WA's recent bad laws I filled out the ATF form and was driving home in 20 minutes. I know there is a waiting period now for rifles, but what about regulated parts like a lower?

I don't have a concealed carry permit so I doubt I'd make the cut-off over here, and I got some projects in mind.
Yes. No waiting period on just a lower... that I'm aware of. Never hurts to call ahead to be 100% though.

Sigh. Guess that answers my question about driving to WA to buy long guns. Dammit.

Idaho it is then I guess. Gonna be a long drive.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews