JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking into trading a gun for another gun(out of state) and started looking into possible ways to soften to blown with these taxes that the FFL is suppose to charge. Because after you find a good deal on a gun and have it sent to you here in washington, you end up pay more then the gun is worth after taxes. The only way I have found to soften the blow of taxes is to have the seller break down the gun and send me the nonregulated parts and send, in most cases just the frame, to the FFL. That way I am able to just pay taxes for the frame and not the whole gun. What do you guys think of this plan?

You are required to pay taxes on all property you buy as a Washington resident, whether it goes through the FFL or not. What you are describing is a way to defraud WA state out of the taxes you owe. While it might "work", in that you might not be caught, it is not legal or ethical.

You are required to pay taxes on all property you buy as a Washington resident, whether it goes through the FFL or not. What you are describing is a way to defraud WA state out of the taxes you owe. While it might "work", in that you might not be caught, it is not legal or ethical.

Ethical opens this discussion to another level. One could argue that taxes in and of themselves are not ethical. Especially on how Washington State applies them to transactions involving guns.

However regarding the OP's plan, I will say this.

You are actually required to report to WA state all out of state purchases that are subsequently used in Washington. So if going by the letter of the regulations you would then submit invoices and tax payments on all those bits you received in the mail. Lastly the seller will have to issue an invoice for the "pistol", how will they determine the value and should questioned will they, or you be able to substantiate it.

In the end I think it may be in your best interest to pay the tax and be done with it. While it may work to evade the tax, do you want to be the test case should the taxing authority question your transaction?

As stated in WA you are required to pay either sales tax or "use tax" on EVERYTHING, http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/usetax/

If you order something online or go to OR to buy it, seeing how you live on the boarder, you are legally required to pay some kind of tax, end of story.

For what its worth it is legal to purchase long guns out of state as long as it is legal in both states. Example if you sent a rifle to an FFL in OR, you could legally pick it up there and they would not charge the WA tax, but see above.

Same if you purchase an item as you described above. The FFL could only collect tax on the value of the item you are transferring......

I was looking into trading a gun for another gun(out of state) and started looking into possible ways to soften to blown with these taxes that the FFL is suppose to charge. Because after you find a good deal on a gun and have it sent to you here in washington, you end up pay more then the gun is worth after taxes. The only way I have found to soften the blow of taxes is to have the seller break down the gun and send me the nonregulated parts and send, in most cases just the frame, to the FFL. That way I am able to just pay taxes for the frame and not the whole gun. What do you guys think of this plan?

Personally I think you get lots of laughs asking someone on GB to disassemble their gun for you.
Ethical or not,the seller could be fraudulent too,so I'm guessing this ain't much of an idea.

I guess paying the tax is the best corse of action. So in the end, the government/anti-gun rights supporters will always win. Meaning, as the price of guns go up higher each year putting many guns out of reach of the average citizen, then adding more taxes on top. May more citizens will be unable to defend ther famlies, homes, and lives from stated parties.

I guess paying the tax is the best corse of action. So in the end, the government/anti-gun rights supporters will always win. Meaning, as the price of guns go up higher each year putting many guns out of reach of the average citizen, then adding more taxes on top. May more citizens will be unable to defend ther famlies, homes, and lives from stated parties.

You can always move to Oregon.

BMWGuru, this is why I don't shop on Gun Broker, etc. Unless the item is particularly unique, it just doesn't make sense to buy it, ship it to a WA FFL, pay the shipping/FFL fee/sales tax. Maybe such things work for Oregon residents, but not here. Buy locally. (Or, visit Portland once in a while....just saying.)

If you trade the FFL will have to have a copy of the other person's ID and a receipt. The receipt can say anything. Let me say that again........ the receipt can say anything.

I have traded cash and goods for firearms. The receipt stated trade and cash received. I was charged sales tax on the dollar amount that was written on the receipt.

The FFL can only collect the taxes from the dollar amount on the receipt. The FFL cannot call anybody a "liar" but they can question a $1000 item sold for a $50 receipt.

If you trade the FFL will have to have a copy of the other person's ID and a receipt. The receipt can say anything. Let me say that again........ the receipt can say anything.

I have traded cash and goods for firearms. The receipt stated trade and cash received. I was charged sales tax on the dollar amount that was written on the receipt.

The FFL can only collect the taxes from the dollar amount on the receipt. The FFL cannot call anybody a "liar" but they can question a $1000 item sold for a $50 receipt.

On a trade this works. On a purchase they are supposed to do it on the value of the gun.
Remember how this state handles vehicle licensing now

I get so sick of guys on gun boards saying things like "if you do that then you are defrauding the government" Who cares! There should not be any taxes on guns in the first place. Like newspapers or bibles/religion. The other amendments. I live in WA and two years ago while driving to Palm Springs, I stopped at a Denny's for a bite and was looking in the local shopper paper when I saw a AMT 1911 for sale. I called the guy up and drove over and bought it. Who cares? It is almost your duty to avoid taxes when ever and wherever you can. I have a Winchester on here for sale. If somebody from ..lets say Montana or someplace saw the ad and just happened to be here seeing their sick grandma, and wanted to buy it, I would take his cash too. Hard to avoid much when it comes to shipping, The state charges tax on shipping now even, thats crap. But if you can work out a deal driving to someplace to pick it up, then do so. A private contract/sale between two parties is none of the states ( big S or small S business. ) Repeal the 68NFA one person at a time :)

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

You can always move to Oregon.

Yep, that'll work, then you get to pay 9% income tax and higher property tax too.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

The receipt can say anything. Let me say that again........ the receipt can say anything.

That's not what WA state requires though. The state is wise to that illegal maneuver and the FFL is supposed to get a value from the states "valuation service" if they think the value is too low. If the FFL is doing otherwise then they are violating WA laws.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Yep, that'll work, then you get to pay 9% income tax and higher property tax too.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter

If you work in OR you have to pay Oregon tax anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top