JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok for arguement sake. I want to buy a Remington 750 BDL (semi auto DBM hunting rifle) I'm looking at the deluxe Walnut stock std 22" barrel version.

Remington-750-WOODSMASTER.gif

its offered in 3 different calibers I have an interest in. .308win 30-06spr. and .35 Whelen

For purposes of this discussion the .35 Whelen is out since I really want that in a bolt action rifle.

So this leaves deciding between .308 and .30-06

I own 4) 30-06 rifles (M1903 Springfield in Military trim, M1 Garand, Ruger M77R and a soon to be complete Bolt action HEAVY barrel Bench rifle with a fancy bench style stock)

I do not own a .308

I do not own any rifle in a modern NATO caliber or any of the surplus calibers common with the black rifle guys.

I reload virtually all my centerfire ammo a few calibers I shoot I have never bought a box of factory ammo for.

Is there any advantage to buying this rifle in .308 over 30-06? other then the SHTF prepper idea of being able to use ammo from some other preppers stash or a found military source?

Ballistically the only advantage 308 has is in 110-125gr slugs and that is offset by its lacking with slugs over 190grs least that I know of.

If I go with 30-06 I have well over 2000 cases in my stash. And can grab anything from 125gr varmit rounds to 220 gr bear and elk thumpers I already have ammo boxes full of.

.308 I would have to aquire brass (granted not expensive) and a set of dies ($35.00 bucks) everything else crosses over to my other 30 cal firearms.

.308 I could buy up some surplus ammo and have a small stockpile without much effort.

There could be a slight advantage in recoil with the .308 for a wife or younger shooter. But she already has her 30-30 and likes it.

SO your thoughts on this silly delema

Remington-750-WOODSMASTER.gif

go with the 308 it will do every thing the 30-06 will do up to the 150 gr.I used 180 gr in 308 to take lots of Elk over the years.ALL were ONE shot kills.All I own in hunting rifles is 308..

If your going to Canada or alaska to hunt GRIZ.I would own a 300 win mag at the very least.

<broken link removed>

and

<broken link removed>

show reload data for 30-06 with 110 grain bulklets.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

shows reload data for 30-06 with 100 and 110 grain bullets.

Since you already are set up for 30-06, I do not see any advantage with the .308, thoughI believe it has a shorter action, which ought allow for a lighter weight rifle. Disregarding that advantage, I see none for the .308.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top