Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

buying a rifle in .308 or 30-06 WHICH?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mark W., Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ok for arguement sake. I want to buy a Remington 750 BDL (semi auto DBM hunting rifle) I'm looking at the deluxe Walnut stock std 22" barrel version.

Remington-750-WOODSMASTER.gif

its offered in 3 different calibers I have an interest in. .308win 30-06spr. and .35 Whelen

For purposes of this discussion the .35 Whelen is out since I really want that in a bolt action rifle.

So this leaves deciding between .308 and .30-06

I own 4) 30-06 rifles (M1903 Springfield in Military trim, M1 Garand, Ruger M77R and a soon to be complete Bolt action HEAVY barrel Bench rifle with a fancy bench style stock)

I do not own a .308

I do not own any rifle in a modern NATO caliber or any of the surplus calibers common with the black rifle guys.

I reload virtually all my centerfire ammo a few calibers I shoot I have never bought a box of factory ammo for.

Is there any advantage to buying this rifle in .308 over 30-06? other then the SHTF prepper idea of being able to use ammo from some other preppers stash or a found military source?

Ballistically the only advantage 308 has is in 110-125gr slugs and that is offset by its lacking with slugs over 190grs least that I know of.

If I go with 30-06 I have well over 2000 cases in my stash. And can grab anything from 125gr varmit rounds to 220 gr bear and elk thumpers I already have ammo boxes full of.

.308 I would have to aquire brass (granted not expensive) and a set of dies ($35.00 bucks) everything else crosses over to my other 30 cal firearms.

.308 I could buy up some surplus ammo and have a small stockpile without much effort.

There could be a slight advantage in recoil with the .308 for a wife or younger shooter. But she already has her 30-30 and likes it.

SO your thoughts on this silly delema

Remington-750-WOODSMASTER.gif

2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Since the rifle weights are the same and you already reload the -06 I don't see any advantages in the 308 at all.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

Go with what you got. If you want some surp ammo, M2 ball is still available. If you want light loads, make them yourself.

4. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

go with the 308 it will do every thing the 30-06 will do up to the 150 gr.I used 180 gr in 308 to take lots of Elk over the years.ALL were ONE shot kills.All I own in hunting rifles is 308..

If your going to Canada or alaska to hunt GRIZ.I would own a 300 win mag at the very least.

5. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

6. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

Easy enough choice.You have 30-06' in the stable already.You can load almost any load you need with 06'.It will take care of any job you need it for.The choice is yours ultimately.

7. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

There's a question?

.30-06 of course!

8. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

.30-06

Your post answers the question for me. Nothing wrong with .308, but no real advantage either. Nice choice on the gun, by the way.