JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok for arguement sake. I want to buy a Remington 750 BDL (semi auto DBM hunting rifle) I'm looking at the deluxe Walnut stock std 22" barrel version.

Remington-750-WOODSMASTER.gif

its offered in 3 different calibers I have an interest in. .308win 30-06spr. and .35 Whelen

For purposes of this discussion the .35 Whelen is out since I really want that in a bolt action rifle.

So this leaves deciding between .308 and .30-06

I own 4) 30-06 rifles (M1903 Springfield in Military trim, M1 Garand, Ruger M77R and a soon to be complete Bolt action HEAVY barrel Bench rifle with a fancy bench style stock)

I do not own a .308

I do not own any rifle in a modern NATO caliber or any of the surplus calibers common with the black rifle guys.

I reload virtually all my centerfire ammo a few calibers I shoot I have never bought a box of factory ammo for.

Is there any advantage to buying this rifle in .308 over 30-06? other then the SHTF prepper idea of being able to use ammo from some other preppers stash or a found military source?

Ballistically the only advantage 308 has is in 110-125gr slugs and that is offset by its lacking with slugs over 190grs least that I know of.

If I go with 30-06 I have well over 2000 cases in my stash. And can grab anything from 125gr varmit rounds to 220 gr bear and elk thumpers I already have ammo boxes full of.

.308 I would have to aquire brass (granted not expensive) and a set of dies ($35.00 bucks) everything else crosses over to my other 30 cal firearms.

.308 I could buy up some surplus ammo and have a small stockpile without much effort.

There could be a slight advantage in recoil with the .308 for a wife or younger shooter. But she already has her 30-30 and likes it.

SO your thoughts on this silly delema

Remington-750-WOODSMASTER.gif

go with the 308 it will do every thing the 30-06 will do up to the 150 gr.I used 180 gr in 308 to take lots of Elk over the years.ALL were ONE shot kills.All I own in hunting rifles is 308..

If your going to Canada or alaska to hunt GRIZ.I would own a 300 win mag at the very least.

<broken link removed>

and

<broken link removed>

show reload data for 30-06 with 110 grain bulklets.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

shows reload data for 30-06 with 100 and 110 grain bullets.

Since you already are set up for 30-06, I do not see any advantage with the .308, thoughI believe it has a shorter action, which ought allow for a lighter weight rifle. Disregarding that advantage, I see none for the .308.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top