JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was surprised by some TulAmmo recently. I was helping a friend with his 7.62x39 AR, and believe it or not, the cheap TulAmmo was shooting fairly consistent 1.5" groups at 100 yards. It was an accurate platform with a good barrel, but I was surprised that junk ammo would shoot that well!
Funny you say that. Back in the day, my buddy and I were getting groups about like that with our ARs as well. Seems the zinc plated Silver bear and MFS did well too and functioned more reliably than the Wolf/Tula.

I learned in economics that price fluctuations are a product of scarcity. When scarcity is low, so are prices. And the opposite is also true. Look at it this way: At normal prices during high demand, you will not find the product on the shelves. Grocery stores during CoVid19. If a pound of hamburger was $20, they would still have some. A higher price simply means that the product will be available for purchase.

If the price is so high that the product is not moving, it will naturally come down. If the SHTF, would you refuse to buy ammo because the price had doubled? I don't think so, but then I have been laying up "treasures" since the 70s.

Some shops are owned by true gun nuts out of love of the sport. Others are bottom-line businesses who just happen to sell guns. And others are just plain greedy - all are observable human traits, no matter how pleasing or repugnant they may be.

Dicks? What's that?

If that is for 223 ammo then that is cheaper than I have ever gotten locally. I always tried to darken BiMart's door when they listed Federal ammo for .29/round!
Tula is steel case ammo with bi-metal bullets, not reloadable brass cases with copper jacketed lead bullets. I have never fired any steel cased ammo in any of my firearms.

Yeah, the young man hiding behind his keyboard who started this discussion WAS a transfer customer of ours (no longer welcome). He obviously does not understand how supply and demand works. He also does not seem to understand the damage he is causing to our small business, who is just trying to survive this storm, by shooting off his mouth on-line rather than talking directly to me about the issue face to face like a man.

We have an awesome customer base here at A Cut Above Pawn and if anyone ever has a problem or concern, we are ALWAYS willing to listen and help. Thank you to all of you who have done business with us in the past and to those who are willing to give us try in the future. You WON'T be disappointed.
Jon McDowell - President and Owner.

Well, just returned stateside. Went to Walmart to buy toiletries but I always look at the sporting goods section for ammo, and to my surprise 270 and 243 WIN were $4.50 :eek:, Federal blue box brand. I bought all I assumed will fit into my checked luggage, 20 boxes. :D

I just bought 1k of 9mm, 2k of 7.62x39, and 1200 rounds in 5.56. I paid pre-craziness prices lol. Cabela's online, PSA, and True Shot.

I bought all this ammo for friends and coworkers. I have enough to not have to panic buy.

Tula is steel case ammo with bi-metal bullets, not reloadable brass cases with copper jacketed lead bullets. I have never fired any steel cased ammo in any of my firearms.
I have a case of this trash in .357. I got it because I figured it would be fine in a revolver, right?
Nope.
The steel expands too much and won't eject til it cools down*... really messes up yer rhythm.

I thought I'd give it a try.
Now I have 950+ rds taking up space.

*This was with a Blackhawk and a Uberti-made gun from Cimmaron. I had a similar problem with my Super Blackhawk (.44) using aluminum cased Blazer. Maybe the cylinder tolerances are tight on Rugers...?

I do not like it in the sun
I do not like it in my gun
I do not like this brand of cartridge,
I'd rather drown in a boiling tarpit

I bought a new 9mm HK in April, didnt have any 9mm ammo....my old pistol was 40 S&W....so I began searching...i found price gouging EVERYWHERE online until I looked at Brownells in Iowa...they had Sellier & Bellot 115 grain brass ammo, 1000 rounds for $210 shipped.... i called and verified that the price listed was for ammo that was in stock, not a price they normally sell for, but had none in stock, and the lady on the phone said, nope, we have plenty in stock and that's our price...her quote..."We aren't price gouging like eveyone else"....made a customer for life out of me....

"Price gouging" is communist lingo.
"Price gouging" is predatory capitalism at its finest.....you always been a corporate shill? You probably still believe that trickle down theory actually worked :D

it's funny how some on here...I will say the obviously PRIVILEGED some on here, think it's okay for corporations/businesses to price gouge...it's fair to pay fair market value...it's criminal to increase your profit margin just because times are tough, people are short on cash, and the supply is running short....

"Price gouging" is predatory capitalism at its finest.....you always been a corporate shill? You probably still believe that trickle down theory actually worked :D

it's funny how some on here...I will say the obviously PRIVILEGED some on here, think it's okay for corporations/businesses to price gouge...it's fair to pay fair market value...it's criminal to increase your profit margin just because times are tough, people are short on cash, and the supply is running short....

I just found out *that guy* that flunked Economics 1001!

Price increases are simply the natural economic response to an increase in demand, a decline in supply, or both. Just because you don't like the current price, because it is 1.3X what the price has been for the past 3 years doesn't mean businesses are increasing their profit margin.

Go pass Econ 1001 and come back to us.

"Price gouging" is nonsense. There is no such thing in a free market. Sellers can price their goods at any price they please. If buyers don't do their homework first, that's just because they are lazy.

Sellers who price goods too high for your taste are not trying to sell to you. They are trying to sell to people whose need is high (e.g. gun newbies living in a bad neighborhood, who have zero ammo stocks). Pricing goods lower is a good way to have empty shelves, and these newbies will be out of luck.

I bought a new 9mm HK in April, didnt have any 9mm ammo....my old pistol was 40 S&W....so I began searching...i found price gouging EVERYWHERE online until I looked at Brownells in Iowa...they had Sellier & Bellot 115 grain brass ammo, 1000 rounds for $210 shipped.... i called and verified that the price listed was for ammo that was in stock, not a price they normally sell for, but had none in stock, and the lady on the phone said, nope, we have plenty in stock and that's our price...her quote..."We aren't price gouging like eveyone else"....made a customer for life out of me....

Now all ammunition is up in price across the board, if even available.

Take a look today at Brownell's 9mm available inventory.

At this point simply market driven, not price gouging.

Supply vs demand, distributors have also upped there pricing which is passed off along the chain.

***sigh*** passed econ 101 with flying colors gentlemen.....

here's another current example of price gouging.....my roommate needed the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump replaced on her Kia...I've done mechanic work in the past, i know it's a 4 hour job, current auto mechanic labor charge is $100 an hour, cost for the timing belt, tensioner and water pump is $100....so $100 parts, 4 hours labor at $100 an hour is $400, for a grand total of $500...3 different brick and mortar auto mechanic shops here in Portland wanted $1000 for the job...I asked every one how $100 in parts and 4 hours labor equals $1000...every single moron said, "It's a flat rate job"...i said, yeah, i know that "flat rate" means "overcharging customers for work, which also means price gouging"...found a local mechanic who works out of his van, a mechanic with over 20 years experience and ASE certified, to do the work at our home for $550.......so you all can "justify" or "deny" price gouging doesn't exist in this screwed up world we live in, but it does, and THAT is also taught in Econ 101....

Last Edited:
"Price gouging" is nonsense.

Sellers who price goods too high for your taste are not trying to sell to you. They are trying to sell to people whose need is high (e.g. gun newbies living in a bad neighborhood, who have zero ammo stocks). Pricing goods lower is a good way to have empty shelves, and these newbies will be out of luck.

Wow, some flawed logic here....so this mythical individual who lives in a bad neighborhood, because he is poor to begin with, should be obliged to pay exceedingly high ammo prices? How is this poor individual suppose to afford the ammo? Either way, empty shelf or outrageously priced ammo, the poor guy ain't getting any ammo.....wait, i know, you will probably just say, "Well, he should get a better paying job," HA! in a country that has damn near 20% of the public unemployed?

Still can't comprehend how people cannot simply admit that price gouging is now fair business practice here in the good ol'USA.....

Most of us understand why guns, ammo, etc have gone up in cost.

We aren't angry about it, just wish we'd bought more gun stuff back when, which 'WILL' be back given time.

All is not lost...and I'm glad to see the trend.

A massive lot of new gun folk have finally woken up and that's good news for us that're pro the 2nd A.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews