JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm wanting to know.
What is your bullet of choice for 357 mag &
What is your bullet of choice for a single action 357 mag &
What is your bullet of choice for a 357 lever action and why?
Edit: for those asking "what purpose" it's what ever you use it for and why.
Just trying to get an idea of what bullets people chose and why since 357/38 have a higher selection choice than say 9 or 40 does.

Last Edited:
I'm not a reloader so ignore this if not relevant, but I tend towards 158gr semi jacketed soft flat point rounds, usually manufactured by Federal. Mostly because I have an affinity for fixed sight revolvers and I've always heard they were regulated for 158gr. Since I prefer not to have to worry about a variety of loadings, that's what I primarily use for revolvers (double action) or lever guns (Marlin). I do use 124gr Hornady Critical Defense (38 special) for a carry round due to noise and potential night vision disruption of full power 357 magnum rounds though.

For what?
This ^^. Application will be a determining factor.

When law enforcement was carrying .357's, popular doctrine settled on a Federal 125 gr. load. Which many thought wasn't as accurate as 158 gr. loads.

I have a .357, I have mostly 158 gr. loads which I envision as being better for defensive shooting. Just my inexpert opinion.

When a pal of mine was shooting .357 revolver, he wanted maximum velocity so he loaded 110 gr. loads. Which were very hot, noisy, and flashy.

125s are great fun, but not for small frame (basically K-frame Smith) revolvers. W-W 296 makes a superb load behind most weights, but the 125s really boom. All weights are fine in levers, but sometihng like 110s would be a non-event. In levers, it's easy to go 160--180.

For what use is something important to consider.
As well as remembering that some loads that work well in one firearm....may not work well in others.

As a general rule I like the 158 grain Soft point or hollow point style of bullets...that said a Keith style lead bullet works wonders too.
Andy

For full power magnum loads I like 125 JHP with H110. Compared to 158 grain bullets they
kick less, cost less, more flash and bigger boom. With the Remington 125 grain Golden
Sabers they are very accurate. The 357 mag with 125 JHP is a top performer in the "One
shot Stop" ratings. For target use 357/38 loads 158 SWC lead bullet with Unique. Light
load, low recoil about 900 fps.

To continue the conversation about bullet vs. use, both the loads I described before are carry/ defense loads that shoot well in my gun. In a smaller and lighter gun they are flat no fun to shoot. For general target/plinking I like the 158gr SWC's. The load I make with those is a 38+P load in a 357 case.

To continue the conversation about bullet vs. use, both the loads I described before are carry/ defense loads that shoot well in my gun. In a smaller and lighter gun they are flat no fun to shoot. For general target/plinking I like the 158gr SWC's. The load I make with those is a 38+P load in a 357 case.
Shoot what you carry. Knowing a load and its potential is always a good thing. Practice rounds are of course good for stance, grip and trigger control. Shooting carry rounds is prudent, as no way should both you and perp be startled at the recoil and blast.

For my Cowboy guns in .38 special/.357 mag...... I load up using .38 special brass. The revolver will get a lead 125 grain round nose bullet. While the lever gun will get a 147 grain TC (truncated cone) lead bullet.

Why, the different weights?

Recoil and the "game". And of course, feeding in a lever gun is different.

Mind you that, I'm not listing the data on my powder charge. Because of LIABILITY. Primers. For me, any brand of sm pistol primer will do.

So then.....
Know that you need to play with your COAL to get the lever gun going smoothly. For me and my Marlin 1894.....I'm at 1.50".

And.....
Mind you that, sometimes.....
If/when I'm using a SWC lead bullet (and not the TC bullet) in my rifle.....sometimes......the edge will catch and OMG a bobble or jam. For me, the TC bullet helps with solving that problem.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I hardly never ever shoot full-power .357 mag loads.

Last Edited:
Shoot what you carry. Knowing a load and its potential is always a good thing. Practice rounds are of course good for stance, grip and trigger control. Shooting carry rounds is prudent, as no way should both you and perp be startled at the recoil and blast.
LOL, I never said I don't shoot my carry/self defense loads. I don't shoot them as often as I shoot the target/plinking loads. I just don't need the added "performance" when killing pop cans and paper. As you implied the skill set is transferable.

In bear country I have my 4.2" 357 GP-100 loaded with HSM "Bear Loads"; 180gr RNFP gas check lead bullets. Advertised muzzle velocity about 1300 fps. Probably not recommended for urban or home defense due to over-penetration issues.

I did some digging on U-Boob, and I saw some factory 158gr. hollow points that didn't do a very good job of expanding in ballistic media. I had shot 158's in the past, but now I load 125/140 gr. JHP bullets with H110/W296 for defense loads, and use the 158's for range work. The 158 JHP used in a .38 didn't expand at all! My ride is a Ruger Blackhawk.

In the book, "Handguns and Stopping Power" by Marshall and Sannow, the 125 grain 357 Mag Federal load was ranked at the top for stopping power. It came in at 95%.
Marshall and Sannow spent years collecting and analyzing data from actual shootings.

If you have never read this classic book, please find a copy and read it. Evans and Sannow also authored two follow up books to this first one.

Paladin Press did a reprint of the original book and if I remember correctly, they also published the two follow up books.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews