JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I should clarify one thing. When I said I wouldn't be so quick to crucify the guy, I didn't mean that he shouldn't face any consequences. I just meant that he might not be a complete idiot, just someone who made a really bad (idiotic) mistake, and that any legal consequences could never be as bad as the agony of having taken a life if someone had been hit. If he was being reckless, reckless endangerment is a completely appropriate charge.

Some years ago there was an accident in my hometown. A friend of mine was a new paramedic and was one of the first on the scene.

A high school kid was leaving the school parking lot in his new car (young, inexperienced driver). He dropped a CD or something on the floorboard and leaned over to get it, taking his eyes off the road. As he leaned over his car drifted up onto the sidewalk where he had a low-speed crash against the fence.

Had nobody been in the way, most people would have laughed, joking about kids and their cars, young drivers, boys and their cars.

Unfortunately two teenage girls were walking on that sidewalk. One was seriously injured, the other killed. One of the first-responders on the scene was her father.

Inexperience coupled with a moment of inattention had deadly results. As I recall, he wasn't charged with a crime, but from what I heard he about went nuts with guilt. It wasn't reckless, careless stupidity; it was just young inexperienced stupidity. As horrible as I feel for the family of the girl (I would be devastated), I still feel bad for the driver too.

A few years back there was a bad wreck a couple miles from my house on the highway. It was the Friday before a holiday weekend and a couple of guys were getting a head start. They got plastered drunk and proceeded to road race at high speeds through town. Coming over a rise, one guy lost control, flew across the median at 100+mph, and hit another car, killing an entire family. He died too, of course, but I don't feel one bit sorry for him. It's one thing to make a stupid mistake, and another to have total reckless disregard for other people.

STFU people.

No offense intended towards the previous poster, and I expect you didn't mean it the way I take it, but am I the only one offended by "STFU"? I usually take great offense to being told to "STFU". Is civility dead?

The gun did it.

For certain. Guns are bad, dangerous creatures that jump up and shoot people on their own.

That's why it's the responsibility of each one of us to buy as many as possible, and lock them up in a big safe where they can't get out and hurt people.

Gun control at it's finest. Control your own guns. :)

No offense intended towards the previous poster, and I expect you didn't mean it the way I take it, but am I the only one offended by "STFU"? I usually take great offense to being told to "STFU". Is civility dead?

I'm sure you took it exactly the way I meant it- I told everyone in here passing judgement against this dude they don't even know to shut the f--- up. That's not a nice thing to say.

But since this thread is really not much beyond people trying to make themselves feel better about themselves at the expense of someone else, I'm unconcerned if people are offended at my response to being offended at the offenses in this thread.

If YOU didn't pass judgement on a stranger, feel free to exclude yourself from my curse. If you did condemn or vilify a man you have absolutely no knowledge of beyond the fact that he had a negligient discharge- of which just about anyone who's put in the hours has or will have- then I most definitely meant you also. I didn't read your posts, so I don't know what you did or didn't.

Actually you did read my posts, because you "liked" one of my posts on the subject. I actually agree with you to a point, I just disagree with the lack of civility. Personally I think telling anyone to "Shut the F up" is a rude jerk thing to say under all but the most warranted circumstances.

I guess I'm from a different generation. I'm really not that old, but I feel older all the time. Civility really is dead nowadays. That's really too bad.

It used to be, at least somewhere in the universe, that intelligent people tried to sway others with careful, well reasoned responses; saving offensive, rude retorts for special occasions where they were truly called for. You won't change anyone's mind by being a jerk. You may feel all smug about yourself for telling them off, but they'll just walk away thinking "Man, what a jerk!"

I really don't mean to offend you or get into an argument. I really didn't even mean to aim my comments towards your post in particular, so please don't take it personally. I just think that we have lost something as a culture when we commonly talk like this. I'll be in a store and hear teenage girls talking like sailors. It makes me sad.

How does a gun go off while cleaning your gun, shouldn't they say dweeb squeezed trigger or bumped cheap gun prior to cleaning...just saying.
When I clean my guns I usually clean the barrel and bore so clearing the gun is kind of a neccesity to clean it.

I think saying it went off while I was cleaning it is just a, "go to" statement for JACKWAGONS who were horsing around and forgot their piece was loaded and had it go off.

Ah, the great many jackwagons, don't they make life grand! :s0054:

I'm sure you took it exactly the way I meant it- I told everyone in here passing judgement against this dude they don't even know to shut the f--- up. That's not a nice thing to say.

But since this thread is really not much beyond people trying to make themselves feel better about themselves at the expense of someone else, I'm unconcerned if people are offended at my response to being offended at the offenses in this thread.

If YOU didn't pass judgement on a stranger, feel free to exclude yourself from my curse. If you did condemn or vilify a man you have absolutely no knowledge of beyond the fact that he had a negligient discharge- of which just about anyone who's put in the hours has or will have- then I most definitely meant you also. I didn't read your posts, so I don't know what you did or didn't.

LMFAO Sounds like a bunch 'O' school girls bickering. "You sir can STFU" "I really don't appreciate that" blah blah blah boohahahahah.

Why not leave the judging to the judge? STFU people.

"Judge by a jury of your peers"

Any one of us could be on his jury.... and passing judgement on him is REAL easy in this case. He had the SIMPLE responsibility of checking that his firearm was empty.

HOW CAN YOU NOT PASS JUDGEMENT? Ohhh he forgot... he thought it empty? There is absolutely no excuse in this matter.

It may seem silly to some to visually check any gun you pick up
Not silly at all as far as I am concerned. Guns can get loaded quickly and sometimes unconsciously. The 'cleaning the gun' may not necessarily be an excuse but seems to be used a lot. What should be said is "failed to properly clear the gun prior to cleaning" which is probably more accurate.

Unfortunately unintentional and/or intentional incompetence, complacency, arrogance, and/or the "BAGMEL Effect" of "Been Around Guns My Entire Life or I was in the military" runs rampant amongst many of us and often leads to Negligent Discharges and other flagrant issues which directly and indirectly impacts us all.

...unfortunately one very young boy standing next to them will experience some permanent hearing loss as a result.

"When guns or explosives are no longer held in respect that is when someone gets hurt or killed". I'm not sure who I heard that quote from but it's a good rule I try to live by. It is a real bummer reading about the young boy suffering permanent hearing loss because of adult negligence.

Wow, you guys totally missed my point, completely. :(

I wasn't defending or making excuses for anyone. My point was that it's not just "stupid idiots" that make mistakes. Sometimes intelligent, educated, good people make really bad mistakes.

There is absolutely no excuse for making a mistake with a deadly weapon, which is why they need to be handled and used so carefully, and complacency can be just as dangerous as inexperience.

My other point is that saying that anyone who has a negligent discharge is an "idiot loser moron" is not helpful at all. Bill Jordan was not an idiot, but he sure made a horrible, deadly mistake.

It could easily happen to you, if you get complacent and aren't careful. Does that make you a loser moron? I've had an accidental discharge before. Am I a loser moron? Fortunately the gun was pointed in a safe direction and nobody was injured.

I have worked around some really scary stuff in my line of work, and take tons of required safety training annually. Inexperience can be a killer. Complacency is a big killer. Not being safety conscious and having good safety habits is a huge killer. In my training I've seen to many stories and gruesome photos of people seriously injured or killed on the job because they made a mistake. It doesn't just happen to idiots.

All I'm trying to get at is this: don't go thinking that stuff like that only happens to "loser idiots" therefore it couldn't happen to you because you're smart. It could happen to any one of us if we get careless or complacent, so keep your guard up and stay safe.

Everything you just stated is the very reasoning I have considered investing in a clearing barrel. At least if you have a ND the fired round is contained. This is of course assuming that the clearing barrel is used prior to pulling the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top