JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing most are forgetting is any vehicle or engine with a computer won't run after an EMT event, natural or man made. That's why most of my stuff but the 4 wheelers are the last month or last year before computers were added.

I dont do the bugging out concept. Only "get home" and "camper" concepts.
That being said Im currently in the process of acquiring a vehicle to do such a camper/adventure build. Since the firearms hobby is now too expensive and pointless with all the panic, my focus is elsewhere.
Ill most likely go with a 4x4 cargo van. But with the already laid out wiring of an ambulance.. that makes that option quite tempting as well.
I've been thinking the same. Something with a bomb proof engine and transmission.

Oddly enough, I've actually been considering a FWD rig as they can be had for dirt cheap. Something like a Yaris. Super short wheel base, silly light, with a lift and some all terrains, it wouldn't have much trouble going places more purpose built rigs could. Strap a roof top tent to it and strip the inside. Should be a fun little project.

1617897158977.jpeg

I've been thinking the same. Something with a bomb proof engine and transmission.

Oddly enough, I've actually been considering a FWD rig as they can be had for dirt cheap. Something like a Yaris. Super short wheel base, silly light, with a lift and some all terrains, it wouldn't have much trouble going places more purpose built rigs could. Strap a roof top tent to it and strip the inside. Should be a fun little project.

View attachment 857336
I've managed to do real well in the snow with snow tired FWD vehicles, like the 1982-1996 GM A-Body line (Chevy Celebrity, Buick Century, Oldsmobile Ciera and Pontiac 6000). Its interesting mechanically that the subframe/K frame on these are the same as the Citation/Omega/X body cars, the Fiero, and the U-body van line(most notably the dustbuster shaped ones), and most recently in a slightly modified form, the Aztek platform. What that means? In theory, the newest engines/transmissions from the U-body/Aztek lines could bolt into the older examples, and you'd get a bit more power and torque in a lighter body.

View attachment 857336
That would actually be a cool idea. I was simply going for a van to sleep in to save on hotel costs while on the road. That and I can build a deck on top to sit up there for the view when at location.
Have a neighbor that has nearly finished such a build. Oddly enough he said insulating was the hardest part where as I envisioned the power and wiring being the most tasking.

If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time...View attachment 856356

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.
I have a '93 Ford E350 ambo with 80, orig miles with the last full year 7.3 International, They made some in '94 added a turdo that add 5HP & ) torque so no turbo to go bad on mine. Was the spare ambo for a small firehouse & just had a 250 amp alt, serp belt, 2 batteries & all new tires right before I bought it. No rust, box is comlete & alum. Best $2000 I've probably spent.

That would actually be a cool idea. I was simply going for a van to sleep in to save on hotel costs while on the road. That and I can build a deck on top to sit up there for the view when at location.
Have a neighbor that has nearly finished such a build. Oddly enough he said insulating was the hardest part where as I envisioned the power and wiring being the most tasking.
I've seen folks strip the interior of these little guys and make them into 1 person campers.

I have a '93 Ford E350 ambo with 80, orig miles with the last full year 7.3 International, They made some in '94 added a turdo that add 5HP & ) torque so no turbo to go bad on mine. Was the spare ambo for a small firehouse & just had a 250 amp alt, serp belt, 2 batteries & all new tires right before I bought it. No rust, box is comlete & alum. Best $2000 I've probably spent.
Mine is am 87 6.9 with about 82k on it, I've replaced the injection pump, put a solid state fuel pump with pre-filter on it and have another pump to install when I have the time (WVO designs fuel pump with adjustable pressure and designed to pump cold WVO). Duel batteries (will be upgrading to higher capacity) need to upgrade the alternator, perhaps 300amp or greater, few other upgrades and whatnot. Rather solid vehicles they are...

One thing most are forgetting is any vehicle or engine with a computer won't run after an EMT event, natural or man made. That's why most of my stuff but the 4 wheelers are the last month or last year before computers were added.

So, about 1960 something?

1) It isn't so much computers that are vulnerable, it is integrated circuits. Some cars had ICs as early as the early 70s. In fact, those earlier vehicles with ICs are more vulnerable to EMP/et. al. than later vehicles which have more robust circuitry with better shielding. Alternators have diode bridges (rectifiers) that are vulnerable.

2) Not any vehicle with a computer. EMP is mostly line of sight, that is one reason why EMP nukes are detonated at a higher altitude. So if a vehicle is down in a valley and the nuke detonates such that the vehicle is not line of sight (distance and height of detonation are factors for LOS), then it is less vulnerable to EMP. Also, vehicles that are not running at the time of the EMP will theoretically be less vulnerable.

3) EMP tests on modern vehicles have shown that most are relatively unaffected, with some shutting down and then being able to be restarted. A key factor with EMP would be voltage/amperage and the rise time of the V/A. The further away from the EMP, the less voltage/amperage. EMP, like any other RF type pulse, obeys the inverse square/distance rule

I.E., double the distance, and the power decreases by 4X or distance squared.

4) Vehicles inside a "shield" are less vulnerable to EMP - e.g., inside a metal siding/roof shop (yes, even one with windows). Even concrete with rebar provides some shielding.

5) Some discrete electronics (e.g., the condenser in a points ignition) can be vulnerable to EMP, more so with CME which can affect "long wire" carriers of electricity. Not sure about alternators/starters, but they do have long wiring in their windings. Starters can carry a LOT of amperage, alternators less so, but still orders of magnitude more than ICs. Relays less so, but still relatively more than ICs.

Finally, it is EMP not "EMT".

In short, not all electronics, and certainly not all vehicles with "computers" will stop functioning forever if we get hit by an EMP or CME. It will depend on the vehicle and the EMP or CME. EMP/CME makes for a good plot in TEOTWAWKI fiction, but don't make plans based on fiction, especially not when the author doesn't understand the technical details of EMP/CME.

My '97 Dodge has ICs in it, but it has a Cummins 12V diesel which is relatively immune to EMP/CME. I intend to isolate the charging and starter circuits, replace the relay/timer for the intake heater with a manual switch, and use a manual cable for the fuel shutoff, but worst case I can get it started manually even as it sits.

My wife lets me use hers! Its a white 2012 Toyota Prius. Gatling gun under the back trunk cover. Has a Coexist bumper sticker. Its a camouflaged tactical Prius :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top