JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
f-350 canopy. if "s" really does hit the fan, there will be a combine somewhere with diesel in it. will pay the farmer in ammo.
Make sure you can trust the farmer so they don't use the ammo on you....

At least that is what some prepper groups have said....

Summertime, you can half and half your diesel with filters WMO (waste motor oil) usually found at service placed in large totes...

Build a high pressure pump for transferring oils and such, one that is virtually indestructible.

Can use JB Weld to fill in the spots.

Lol '21 Subaru outback, lifted with skid plates. Cargo rack on top with 2 2.5 gal jerry cans on top at all times. Multiple jerry cans with fuel back home. In the car are the bare neccesities to survive off grid at all times. ie pot and pan, fire starting gear, a pistol, hand tools to create shelter and some bedding. Recovery gear included in roof basket as well which is a shovel and traction boards.

It's not much but it's better then nothing. And it doesnt scream apocalpyse mobile either.
I also have a lifted outback set up for bugout. Great dependable rig and it goes ALMOST anywhere my Cherokee will go. I also have a custom built bugout trailer always ready to roll that I can pull with it. Good set up

Duece & a half radio workshop truck with a steel workshop box on back with air cond, generator, it's multifuel,bought from a college with 6000 orig miles & all 11 orig tires in great shape no checking, bought the rig for $1100. then a 5 seat Theucal sno cat 3' tracks, 6cyl industrial ford engine, luggage racks on top & on back, 4wd 500 Can Am 4 wheelers, a powered parachute for flour bombing raids, 3 DJI drones a ROKON 2wd mororcycle that floats & a V-tail Beechcraft Bonanza plane that cruises 185 on 10gph with an aux tank so over 1000 mile range & room for 4 adults & all their gear & 2 runways on the farm. It will break ground loaded with fuel & payload in 530' on grass I live close to the Big lake so if I turn off the transponder & fly low I'm under radar.

2015 6.5L
7421D751-B288-4C50-A5DD-25EC08EBA53D.jpeg

If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time...View attachment 856356

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.
I have a 2007 Ram 3500 (crew cab, short bed) w/ Cummins 5.9L. Not the best for a bug out vehicle, but I can drive over the top, or push my way through any Prius that gets in the way. I still need to add a heavy duty full width front bumper or a large steel "crash plate". Never let it get below 1/2 tank, it will get 'er done.

FB_IMG_1616165936939.jpg IMG_20210227_080031_635.jpg

Last Edited:
re: Hummer post #25 above;

My #2 son had an H1 military surplus model for a few years. The problem he had, was not where it could go regardless of terrain etc. His problem was the effects of being a daily driver in the PDX commuter environment. Slow/ponderous/expensive to get moving/keep moving, he named it a phrase in Spanish that translated as an unflattering version of "sweet misery".

My #2 son had an H1 military surplus model for a few years. The problem he had, was not where it could go regardless of terrain etc. His problem was the effects of being a daily driver in the PDX commuter environment. Slow/ponderous/expensive to get moving/keep moving, he named it a phrase in Spanish that translated as an unflattering version of "sweet misery".
Good term for it. I think it best as an overweight, underpowered UTV. My CanAm X3 Turbo at 1500lbs had more HP

Tactical wheelbarrow and attack cat.

The EMP made even my 02 Ram and 99 XJ useless lumps of roadside detritus.

It was only a couple of years ago that l divested myself of my last carburated, non-electronic vehicle, and even that had electronic ignition for everyday reliability... not sure how that would come out in an EMP attack, even without a computer.

Seen a lot of articles that say even moderns vehicles would likely be just fine during an EMP as the vehicles themselves are like Faraday cages.

Of course there are people who like to take extra precautions and go with non-computerized vehicles...

Some vehicles which can be easily found, the 6.9/7.3 liter Diesel IDI (non-powerstroke) with a manual trans or if auto, the 3 speed (mechanical linkage and vacuum controlled as I recall) mechanical engines which are simple and use common parts...

These engines simple to work on and easy to get parts for.

Good term for it. I think it best as an overweight, underpowered UTV. My CanAm X3 Turbo at 1500lbs had more HP

Seen a lot of groups recommend against them, the humvees and many other military vehicles. I'd still love to have a 5 ton truck though...

You UTV probably has more HP then my 6.9l Ford diesel. I got to rework my weight and such as when fully loaded for large paintball events, with trailer, its about 7 tons and with that engine, 5 tons is about its max. Still the slowest one up a hill, but it's a 55mph or in town cruiser.

Who did he use to insure it? I have a friend who wants to buy one but hasn't been able to find any insurance company to write a policy.

I chuckle when I see the air intake snorkels on vehicles, and the exhaust pipe still dumping out at axle level.
I like the snorkel addition but keeping the mechanic fan right where it is. That way the fan can be transformed into a propeller to instantly pull through and shred your radiator... at least you won't have to shake that 'Zuki upside-down to get the water out of the engine... oops, unless the head gasket goes away due to the sudden overheating.

Both of my 4x4 vehicles have the airbox located traditionally, but l do need to work on a manual cut-off switch for the electric fans. In my old IH Scout l carried a large canvas tarp. If l had to ford deep-ish water l would tuck it under the leading edge of the (clamshell) hood and let it hang to break the bow wave and avoid the situation outlined above. It actually worked. Never had an issue with the exhaust dumps taking in water as long as the engine kept running... sounded like a BA inboard ski boat idling in the water.

I bugged out in September due to a wildfire.

I used my daily driver (BMW X1).

I had to make a decision quick - I had 5 minutes notice.

I have two other vehicles, both capable of hauling more gear - a 4x4 pickup and a 4x4 flatbed truck. But I chose the SUV on the spur of the moment because it is worth more than the trucks as my daily driver, and I didn't have insurance on my flatbed.

It depends on what the situation is and how much time I have. I live at my BOL, so normally I don't plan on bugging out. I also live alone so I don't have anyone to help me bug out if I have very short notice like I did last 6 months ago. If I had other drivers and enough notice, I would take all of my vehicles.

I dont do the bugging out concept. Only "get home" and "camper" concepts.
That being said Im currently in the process of acquiring a vehicle to do such a camper/adventure build. Since the firearms hobby is now too expensive and pointless with all the panic, my focus is elsewhere.
Ill most likely go with a 4x4 cargo van. But with the already laid out wiring of an ambulance.. that makes that option quite tempting as well.

Last Edited:
Who did he use to insure it?
unsure but I was under the impression it was his regular auto ins. co. Don't know who that was though. Better get your mechanic skills buffed up, there can be considerable tedious 'fix-it-or-walk' stuff. I don't consider them adequately reliable for my own limited skills. The .mil has entire fleets of people whose job it is to make that happen. I ain't one of them. Neither was #2. After a couple hundred thousand miles over 7 years in a Toyota pick up be bought used and still was unable to kill, he was surprised at the relative fragile nature of some of the .mil rigs he encountered in civilian use.

My 48 Willys has a magnetic trigger in the distributor and a Captive discharge box but I also have a complete old school points ignition distributor as a spare I carry in the tool box. Along with a spare Alternator and starter and electric fuel pump. I can swap out the distributor in about 5min as all I have to do is pop the cap and loosen one hold down bolt. I can then time it with my on board vacuum gauge if need be.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews