JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nobody with the motive, wherewithal and the means to find me in the dark will be looking for me.
They'll be busy. Looking for the idiots and the helpless and the criminally inclined.
And since I'm not dumb enough to try and raid places for food and shelter, (like Argo's) I figure I'll be fine.

Assets of LE and military will be limited and/or occupied in most scenarios that call for me to pull out the emergency kit. So I ain't worried.

And if you guys find you miss my witty repartee', take comfort in knowing ol' Jamie's kicking back somewhere minding my own bizness, and waitin' for the crap to finish blowing past.

Guess what little old crappy tents do?. keep you dry. lool

This is why I went with 6 mil 4 year greenhouse plastic. Expensive, but very strong and UV resistant. We routinely went 6 years with it, sometimes 7 on the greenhouses. Even a good construction grade 4 mil is going to beat any cheap tent. Next best thing to the 4 wall canvas elk tent.

My new GHB setup weighs 22.5 lbs with no sleeping bag or tent, just a temporary-use bivy sack and extra clothes. If I go farther from home than about 25 miles (one night out), I take an "add-on" dry sack that includes a good quality tarp, lightweight sleeping bag, tools, and other amenities. It weighs 6.5 lbs. for a total weight of 29 lbs. Both weights include 1 liter of water. If I fill the 3-liter bladder, that's another 6.6 lbs. Always keep your pack light enough to add an adequate supply of water!

Last Edited:
Or enough strappage to roll your jacket up in a small tarp like a horseshoe bedroll and strap to the outside. I've done that when needed. I do think a modernized framed version of the M1928 Haversack with no zippers... would work pretty good for people who has dry bags for their bulky items... somehing similar to the Kifaru load carrier but with MOLLE panel flaps going around the sides to carry items close to the back. A lid, a beavertail panel, and two side panels with MOLLE on both inside and outside.. uses all sizes of waterproof stuff sacks or dry bags or containers while having quick access to things like first aid kit and magazines and water.

Or enough strappage to roll your jacket up in a small tarp like a horseshoe bedroll and strap to the outside. I've done that when needed. I do think a modernized framed version of the M1928 Haversack with no zippers... would work pretty good for people who has dry bags for their bulky items... somehing similar to the Kifaru load carrier but with MOLLE panel flaps going around the sides to carry items close to the back. A lid, a beavertail panel, and two side panels with MOLLE on both inside and outside.. uses all sizes of waterproof stuff sacks or dry bags or containers while having quick access to things like first aid kit and magazines and water.
The more you strap stuff to the outside the more it will be exposed to the elements (rain) and damage (snags) or just simply falling off without noticing....

Right; which is why ya dummycord everything to the pack. Although in my experience.... its noticeable if it falls off.. but could be due to the fact the rolls I used were on the heavy side compared to the other stuff in there. All of my homemade packs have "excess" compression straps for just this reason ;) the mil packs also have a similar thing but I tend to not use them as often because they're large enough to carry most everything inside. The only pack I have that doesnt have the strappage is the home tailor made copy of the ww2 10th Mtn Rucksack... complete with steel frame... it even has grommets for M1910 hangers.. that pack itself I tend to use as an add on to my Kia Sportage's cargo capacity by being lashed to the spare tire carrier frame. The MCCEB vehicle bag doesnt have as much strappage but it is huge and is meant to be tossed into a vehicle or hung onto cleats on armored vehicles.

I have a selfmade Mossy Oak waist pack that has 960 cubic inches of cargo space plus 6 compression straps and MOLLE webbing for additional gear... those 6 straps helped to lash down stuff that didnt fit inside the cargo bag area... but usually its paired with a small backpack.

Having the availability to strap things is useful Ill admit, I just try to have all my stuff on the inside for protection. There are some things designed to be strapped on like a foam sleeping pad.

I have a pack with a large mesh outside pocket, very nice for rain soaked clothes or jacket to dry out while walking, or a rain soaked tarp shelter. When they dry, I put them inside the pack. I just find the load and balance of the pack carries better that way, and it helps encourage beginners to pack lighter in the first place.

An over stuffed pack does not carry well no matter how you load it, inside or out.

So I went through and weighed my complete summer rig:

Items:
Change of clothes (pants, 2 bivvy rolls)
8 Mountain House Meals + gatoraid powder + hot cocoa
Miniworkx water filter kit (set up to attach to my camelbak)
Stove with 220g fuel bottle + gasoline bottle + Imusa cup
Lightweight sleeping bag, hammock, paracord, Military poncho, inflatable pillow
USMIL - Canteen cup, cover, lid, canteen, and TI spork + lighter and salt/pepper
IFAK

All this in a Molle II OCP Assault pack: 27-28lbs (using bathroom scale)

Dumping the Hammock for the tent adds about 4lbs.

Adding my pistol, rifle, armor, spare ammo and everything else takes me up to a total weight of just shy of 70lbs. This whole rig will keep me in the field and on the move for about 2-4 days without re-supply, but I'll be short on both calories and water after 2 days unless I can find surface water that can be treated (boiled & filtered), and amend my food with stuff I find.

I'm currently servicing my winter rig, and need to repack it. Once I get done I'll weigh it.

Adding my pistol, rifle, armor, spare ammo and everything else takes me up to a total weight of just shy of 70lbs.

Right before one of my boys deployed to Iraq, the wife and I went to San Diego to help him move out of his apartment. I took a box out to his car to put in the trunk and his field gear was in there, his tactical vests, armor, camel backs and some misc stuff. No ammo or guns, I started putting it all on to get an idea of how it felt. I had 60 pounds of gear on and was still minus the water, ammo and guns. 68 pounds was a minimum carry, and closer to 74 most times he said. Those were foot patrols after a mounted transit.

One of the other boys was in Afghanistan, they were pretty much all foot patrol, out one day they would lose 12 pounds and rest up for two days to rehydrate and recharge.

You truly understand why the young men take care of this business, I felt it after walking across the parking lot at the apartment complex with all that on at 50 years old.

70lbs... 46lbs... 28lbs...

I don't get it, why all the weight? Why all the references to the military? Were not in the military, all we need to do is get home... or for those that insist, "bug out" somewhere. In my opinion your pack should weigh no more than 20lbs with food and water.

Totals: $514.72, 164oz (10 lbs 4oz. )

Those are high quality items, will last a long time if you take care of them. About 10lbs leaves you with ~10lbs of capacity for a change of clothes, food and water.
probably should throw in a roll of TP... ~4oz.

(edit, since the pack I listed above is a closeout sale here is a comparable price and weight and size pack at regular price... $140, 58 liters, 1lbs 4oz... Virga 2)

Last Edited:
@Koda ; that is your opinion, and close to mine as well.
However, there are those who absolutely believe that they must fight their way home or out, and that they had best be as well armed and armored as possible to survive encounters with gangs, cartel hunters, rogue military units or even govt troopers.

@Koda ; that is your opinion, and close to mine as well.
However, there are those who absolutely believe that they must fight their way home or out, and that they had best be as well armed and armored as possible to survive encounters with gangs, cartel hunters, rogue military units or even govt troopers.

well heck a simple Glock and a couple spare mags weighs what, maybe 4lbs, that still leaves about 6lbs of capacity for food and water with the list I shared.
I even gave them a full on tent instead of some flimsy tarp... :D

Last Edited:

I don't get it, why all the weight? Why all the references to the military? Were not in the military, all we need to do is get home... or for those that insist, "bug out" somewhere. In my opinion your pack should weigh no more than 20lbs with food and water.

My references to the military was simply to point out the heavy loads people carry. The 70 pound GHB is a bit much in my opinion and one this tired azz old man sure as hell cannot and is not going to carry. My point is that if you want to carry 30 to 60 plus pounds you damn well better be a cut rock hard 20 year old or your azz is done after 5 miles.

I completely agree that a GHB should not weight more than 20 pounds, and a lot of resourcefulness will be handy as well. Mine weights about 18 pounds now after purging out dated food, and relooking at that aspect and as mentioned before, I will be short on calories after 2 days. Hopefully with the new knee I will be able to do a 5 to 8 mile hike on flat ground. But in all reality at 59 years old, hiking any great distance and getting in any firefights is not the plan and not something I could prevail at.

my bad, wasn't directing my regards to military stuff to anyone person but rather to all. Seems like survivalists types get tunnel vision on heavy military surplus gear plus enough guns and ammo to take on the world.

thing about learning to go ultra light is especially important the older we get, but heck even a strong 20yr old will benefit that much more...

just having fun with the conversation, hoping my suggestions will help someone out....

Valid points. Keeping the GHB reasonable will allow the weapons load to be what you need. I learned in CAP survival camps, that we were weighting sh*t to shave ounces off our packs before heading into the Three Sisters wilderness for 5 days. You consider and reconsider what you really need. We had to try it several times to get it right. That was not adding on a couple pounds of pistol, extra ammo, maybe a long gun too.

I wanted to point out that all that weight makes a hell of a difference. I get you might not be wearing armor, but damn that stuff was heavy as I put it on. Evasion may be required in any kind of SHTF get home situation, and moving quickly has to be a priority

I get that many folks here are concerned about security but where does one draw the line? Body armor, battle gear, rifle and ammo plus pistol? Even if encountering gangs or cartels or whatever was realistic no one is a one man army (especially with 50lbs...) I would figure a better strategy is to retreat and go around even more reason to travel light and fast. Walking around with all that milsurp gear and rifle isn't very grey man like either.

These are the specifics of my particular system. There are things that probably in context don't make any sense, however this is pretty much my "EDC", I do law enforcement training on the side as a jr instructor, and I'm a ballistics lab tech in addition to automation tech, these days pretty much whenever I'm around guns I'm wearing my armor. There's a rolling cast of guns, tools, and other equipment so I can be doing pressure testing one day, accuracy testing, and function firing sometimes all in the same day. I also shoot with a group that does 2-gun trooper class, the deal is, you have to carry everything on you, you can drop your pack at the start of the stage, but you have to carry it around all day. (or if you leave it, it gets sequestered and you incur a 500pt penalty, or 1000pts and you get your pack back).

A lot of my equipment is ex military, for a few reasons: at the time I bought it (I actually traded for most of my gear) what I could afford, and at one time it was what I could get. Most of it has been kicking around in my inventory for over 5 years. The Molle II assault pack does kinda suck, it carries a lot, but the suspension system is garbage. The big issue is, I haven't found anything worth replacing it with. I'm a little bit of a gear snob because I only like to buy US made stuff, and whenever possible, I like it to be <$200.

I took a look at the virga you posted... pretty much looks to be a duffel bag that fits on your back. The pack I'm running now is only 30L (1850ci) which more than meets my needs, in fact I do my best not to over-stuff it.

Also, you should probably check out the sawyer miniworks filter: MINI Water Filtration System | Sawyer
it's also 2oz and is much easier to use with it's squeeze bag. (no more trying to suck a thick chocolate shake up the tube just to get a drink) you can fill the pre-filter bag, hook the fittings up to the camelbak, and sit on the filter bag. My camping kit has the same thing, but I've got an old 3L platypus bladder I use for the same purpose, however it's more one-and-done than the bag that comes with the kit.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top