JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get that many folks here are concerned about security but where does one draw the line? Body armor, battle gear, rifle and ammo plus pistol? Even if encountering gangs or cartels or whatever was realistic no one is a one man army (especially with 50lbs...) I would figure a better strategy is to retreat and go around even more reason to travel light and fast. Walking around with all that milsurp gear and rifle isn't very grey man like either.

I'm 6'7, 280lbs, I've generally found "grey man" just doesn't happen for me. So I may as well roll with it :)

I'm a foot shorter and was about the same weight :oops:

None of these are representative of me currently :eek::eek::eek:
But this is what the public sees of most of us :confused: no way us fat old guys are gonna "gray man" things out here :cool:

And really.. it is truly difficult to find lightweight gear for the big guys without it looking ridiculously small or in dayglo colors :( this is why I've found hunting/outdoors clothing from Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse to be more forgiving of my present size... dang shame UA only makes "beefcake" cut tees that happens to be a bit tight around the midsection.
An UL backpack that has a big enough waist belt and long enough shoulder straps? Hahahahhahahahahahahhaha unless its a DIY gear thing (mine lol)

fat-man-in-camo-cropped.png Fatty9.jpg 456x330.jpg hs9kz9.jpg fat-tac4_zpso1y23m46.jpg 13256657_1773437636225413_994971658_n.jpg meal_team_6_operator.jpg

A lot of my equipment is ex military, for a few reasons: at the time I bought it (I actually traded for most of my gear) what I could afford, and at one time it was what I could get. Most of it has been kicking around in my inventory for over 5 years. The Molle II assault pack does kinda suck, it carries a lot, but the suspension system is garbage. The big issue is, I haven't found anything worth replacing it with. I'm a little bit of a gear snob because I only like to buy US made stuff, and whenever possible, I like it to be <$200.

I took a look at the virga you posted... pretty much looks to be a duffel bag that fits on your back. The pack I'm running now is only 30L (1850ci) which more than meets my needs, in fact I do my best not to over-stuff it.
yeah, I only posted that particular pack because it was more affordable and has more capacity, I also dont have time to shop around the web for others I thought my list was enough fun... I dont need 50L either, the smaller the pack you choose makes them more affordable and can be more durable for the same weight too. The thing about you is your experienced with the military stuff you pick out you know what works and what they weigh, my hunch is many survivalists don't but its just the first thing the turn to when selecting gear. I just wanted to point out to others here that they can go lightweight on the gear...

Also, you should probably check out the sawyer miniworks filter: MINI Water Filtration System | Sawyer
it's also 2oz and is much easier to use with it's squeeze bag.
I actually have the Sawyer and prefer it but the Lifestraw is a good device for a GHB and simple to use... I didn't want to get into the whole 'in-line' reservoir system.... just trying to get people here to ditch the old GI canteen is difficult enough :p

But this is what the public sees of most of us :confused: no way us fat old guys are gonna "gray man" things out here :cool:

And really.. it is truly difficult to find lightweight gear for the big guys without it looking ridiculously small or in dayglo colors :( this is why I've found hunting/outdoors clothing from Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse to be more forgiving of my present size... dang shame UA only makes "beefcake" cut tees that happens to be a bit tight around the midsection.
An UL backpack that has a big enough waist belt and long enough shoulder straps? Hahahahhahahahahahahhaha unless its a DIY gear thing (mine lol)

View attachment 356225 View attachment 356226 View attachment 356227 View attachment 356228 View attachment 356231 View attachment 356232 View attachment 356233
Note to self.. patent bacon scented smoke grenades.

I'm not even fat, I'm just huge. I stick out like a giant huge sore thumb. I wear an XL shirt, but I need to find the long ones. Same thing with pants, try to find the extra-long ones. The big thing with most waist belts is unless it's a bigger pack, the thin nylon type waist belts are just a waste. I either cut them off or tuck them in. Even then, my body is so long on the Molle II pack it hits me just below my ribcage.

yeah, I only posted that particular pack because it was more affordable and has more capacity, I also dont have time to shop around the web for others I thought my list was enough fun... I dont need 50L either, the smaller the pack you choose makes them more affordable and can be more durable for the same weight too. The thing about you is your experienced with the military stuff you pick out you know what works and what they weigh, my hunch is many survivalists don't but its just the first thing the turn to when selecting gear. I just wanted to point out to others here that they can go lightweight on the gear...

I actually have the Sawyer and prefer it but the Lifestraw is a good device for a GHB and simple to use... I didn't want to get into the whole 'in-line' reservoir system.... just trying to get people here to ditch the old GI canteen is difficult enough :p

Dude, there's still that contingent of people out there who think the large alice pack and pack frame are gods gift to the survivalist. I looked at one of those things years ago, it was super expensive, heavy, and every bit of it was pokey. The Molle II ruck (the big one) is actually an excellent pack, it's heavier than some of the modern packs, but it's frankly too damn big for most use. I use it as a winter pack because of the bulky snow pants, winter sleeping bag, and other stuff I keep in there.

I'm definitely in the ditch the canteen ... except the canteen comes with the cup, and for a few bucks you can get a lid for it: Amazon.com : Rothco S/S Canteen Cup Lid for Item 512 : Sports & Outdoors
And then you can tuck the TI spork in between the canteen and the cup. Also, the USGI canteen sucks, this one is way better: Amazon.com : Nalgene 340953 OASIS Blue Bottle With Black Cap, 32 oz : Sports Water Bottles : Sports & Outdoors

I don't know about the current issue, the cup I have is one of the WW2/Korea vintage (with the long handle) if you fill it to the first set of rivets, that's 2-cups, which when heated is what you need to make up most mountain house meals. The Imusa cup happens to be the perfect size for my stove to slip into, and then the fuel canister sits on top of that in my pack, so this means I can be boiling up more water while drinking my coffee and eating my food.

Totals: $514.72, 164oz (10 lbs 4oz. )

No rain gear, no first aid kit, no hygiene items, no extra socks, no extra clothing layers, no means to start a fire, no sunscreen, no hat, no gloves... That sleeping pad is uninsulated and will circulate cold air underneath you. Is the pack waterproof? At that weight, I highly doubt the fabric is coated, so you'll need a rain cover. I suppose if your GH situation happens in the summer within 25 miles of home, omitting these items is probably fine (except the sunscreen and hat).

I do appreciate the gear list, Koda, and that tent is awesome. I just think most of us are probably preparing for a more diverse set of possible scenarios than you are. I do agree that one should travel as light as possible, and 40+ lbs. is too much.

Last Edited:
No rain gear, no first aid kit, no hygiene items, no extra socks, no extra clothing layers, no means to start a fire, no sunscreen, no hat, no gloves... That sleeping pad is uninsulated and will circulate cold air underneath you. Is the pack waterproof? At that weight, I highly doubt the fabric is coated, so you'll need a rain cover. I suppose if your GH situation happens in the summer within 25 miles of home, omitting these items is probably fine (except the sunscreen and hat).

I do appreciate the gear list, Koda, and that tent is awesome. I just think most of us are probably preparing for a more diverse set of possible scenarios than you are. I do agree that one should travel as light as possible, and 40+ lbs. is too much.

Those items I listed are not exactly what I use... not all of that gear is ideal for 4 seasons but the point is that one can both travel light and doesn't have to spend a whole lot. With that baseweight of 10lbs one has a lot of room to add the necessary items for the season and upgrade different items as preferred.... and still keep everything under 20lbs total max. The list is a suggestion for a starting point, everything on that list will work to get you home most of the year here in the valley.

I'm curious what are the more diverse set of possible scenarios most here are prepping for?

I have a bag for myself and one for my wife. I include a two poncho rolls to build lean-to shelters (same as I did in the Army).

I also shelled out for some ultra light sleeping mats and some some lightweight sleeping bags which add a total of 3.5lb's to each bag. The space they take up is the issue. We may include one mat and one bag in future and teach my wife some fun wilderness shelter building techniques if I can twist her arm.

The gallon of water I'd put in my pack already starts me at 8lbs...

But it would decrease as I drank it and a 20 mile (soon to be 9!) hike would only take me less then 24 hours.

Probably won't change anything when I work 9 miles from home an am not crossing a bridge for those times I'm not at work but am in Portland.

Those items I listed are not exactly what I use... not all of that gear is ideal for 4 seasons but the point is that one can both travel light and doesn't have to spend a whole lot. With that baseweight of 10lbs one has a lot of room to add the necessary items for the season and upgrade different items as preferred.... and still keep everything under 20lbs total max. The list is a suggestion for a starting point, everything on that list will work to get you home most of the year here in the valley.

I'm curious what are the more diverse set of possible scenarios most here are prepping for?

If you're caught outside with your family in serious total breakdown SHTF in the US with all these guns and immediate unfriendlies? I'm packing ammo to find, fight for, or defend a safe place for my family to hold up. I also include seeds, a substantial medical kit, radio, and solar panel for power and recharging.

If you're caught outside with your family in serious total breakdown SHTF in the US with all these guns and immediate unfriendlies? I'm packing ammo to find, fight for, or defend a safe place for my family to hold up. I also include seeds, a substantial medical kit, radio, and solar panel for power and recharging.

well we dug this old thread up again, but I think this has all been covered already. If your caught outside with your family, your screwed unless you can get home...

I just saw it sorry ... I also have a drone to bug out with in my truck.
no biggie, I dont expect anyone to re-read 8 pages in an old thread.

I think maybe, maybe a single person with some skills and willpower could survive SHTF away from home. But don't see how a person with a family could unless they group up with some friendlies and wait for fema help to maybe arrive to chopper them out. Scares me actually because I have a family, if SHTF when Im at work... were all spread out over town.

Fat man sweats a lot so it'll be 2 quarts quick in this weather;).

gotta go with what works for you. I also kinda cringe at the idea of drinking from any stream here in town or even the valley, even filtered....

but keep in mind that its only really hot here 2-maybe 3 months of the year. Murphys law says S will HTF in the rainy season...

no biggie, I dont expect anyone to re-read 8 pages in an old thread.

I think maybe, maybe a single person with some skills and willpower could survive SHTF away from home. But don't see how a person with a family could unless they group up with some friendlies and wait for fema help to maybe arrive to chopper them out. Scares me actually because I have a family, if SHTF when Im at work... were all spread out over town.

Same boat. Finding friendlies could be as scary and difficult to.

Since this one started up again, I'll share what I use now; this is an Aqua Quest Safari 10x10 tarp made into a tent. No, it doesn't have a floor or door, but it will keep most of the rain and wind off you and only weighs 2 lbs. including the stakes and paracord used to pitch it. The center pole is another 12 oz., but that can be made from a small tree or large branch on the fly. It's not shown in the photo, but I also made a door out of mosquito netting to keep most of the bugs out without adding weight. If pitched with the door close to the trunk of a large tree the tree's canopy would keep most of the water out, but you do need to be aware of drainage with the absence of a floor. My sleeping pad would also keep me above most of the wet if it came to that. My sleeping bag is a 60 degree summer bag supplemented by an SOL Escape Bivvy in OD green. The two combined take up about the space of a 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle.

IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1247.JPG

Since this one started up again, I'll share what I use now; this is a 10x10 tarp made into a tent. No, it doesn't have a floor or door, but it will keep most of the rain and wind off you and only weighs 2 lbs. including the stakes and paracord used to pitch it. The center pole is another 12 oz., but that can be made from a small tree or large branch on the fly. It's not shown in the photo, but I also made a door out of mosquito netting to keep most of the bugs out without adding weight. If pitched with the door close to the trunk of a large tree the tree's canopy would keep most of the water out, but you do need to be aware of drainage with the absence of a floor. My sleeping pad would also keep me above most of the wet if it came to that. My sleeping bag is a 60 degree summer bag supplemented by an SOL Escape Bivvy in OD green. The two combined take up about the space of a 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle.

View attachment 374134 View attachment 374135 View attachment 374136

nice, do you have any instructions to share to set up the tarp like that?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top