JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys are living in fantasy land......even in a tent, it would take me 10 minutes to find you with my SCAR and thermal scope.....that is just the stuff out of my gun safe......let alone with the stuff I used in the military.......my son is also a current USCG rescue helicopter crewman, they can find a body at sea that has been dead for hours.........the world has changed.
We are talking about bob's, not bragging about hunting down and murdering people in their tents. Let's please keep it civil.

Just to get back on track here I have some weights for my tent and sleeping bag I use when I go backpack hunting. My Sierra designs 4 season 2 man tent weighs 7lbs 6oz in its carry bag. My 0 degree rated north face bag weighs in at 3lbs 7oz in its carry sack. I have spent some time in some sh*t weather on the side of a mountain in AK with this gear very comfortably. Not necessarily advocating packing this type of gear to BO as I am on the stay at home plan. I think if you do have to leave your home for whatever reason you should be trying to get to a friends or families location who has resources and this type of gear may not be needed. Another thing about sleeping bags, the temp rating on them is not indicative of how low of a temp you will be comfortable in. It is merely the temp at which the bag will be expected to keep your core temp high enough to stay alive. These are just observations from using this type of gear and hoping it may help someone make an educated decision to fit their individual circumstances.

BOB and tents.... how quickly do you think the areas along the roads to Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Olympia and the like will become tent cities, complete with tolls and gang leaders vying for control of access? Especially in the counties surrounding the big cities?

As for Bug Out bags... well. I don't really believe in the idea of bugging out into the "wilderness" or "I'm never coming home" bags either... limited scale disasters such as the wildfire that HB of CJ talks about, is a far more realistic plan for bugging out/evacuation.... Cascade Zone Subduction fears is another one, however from what I can glean of the geography, Portland is likely going to be the worst off, but rural communities that have their own support networks will fare quite a bit better... Best off would be the somewhat self-contained Mennonite and LDS farming communities.

Everything else is theoretical/talk until things happen.

e57da45d16beb9c25d1fafcb6770fbd9.png
FIXED

Imagine this all over Seattle, Tri-Cities, Portland, Vancouver areas on a massive scale

Most people seem to think this is representative of their Bug-Out Plans;
PrimitiveArcheryShoot-2013002_zps25abf0c7.jpg
(Not @AndyinEverson 's camp, could be but I don't think so? :rolleyes: )

Most of Eugene and Portland's hipster communities are likely thinking more along the lines of this;
blc-8.jpg
Burning Man camp area

One of the reasons we live in Weiser after living all over the world. 100 acres, totally self sufficient. Nice people that help each other. Little reliance on government or intrastructure. City people will be chaff....as they always are when it comes down to it......we have no need to go any where. Just shelter in place and defend ourself from the city zombie invasion. Coastal liberals have built an unsurvivable enviorment that they will have to live with in times of difficulty. It has always been the case. All you have to do is look at history. They rely on other people for food, water, power and most of the nesisities of life........the old song "country folks can survive" has a lot of truth.

You guys are living in fantasy land......even in a tent, it would take me 10 minutes to find you with my SCAR and thermal scope.....that is just the stuff out of my gun safe......let alone with the stuff I used in the military.......my son is also a current USCG rescue helicopter crewman, they can find a body at sea that has been dead for hours.........the world has changed.

Assuming of course the other guy with as good or better gear than you does not spot you in 5 minutes and does you first. Because nobody can spot a tactical stalk that easy.

I always get a kick out of bug-out survival threads.
Still havent figured out where anyone is gonna bug out to on foot... Probably never will.

Exactly. All these plans, and unless you have taken these plans out and worked them in the field in all seasons and situation, sh*t is not going the way you plan. And since you cannot replicate the hordes of people you will encounter, the firefights you may have to get into just to survive let alone move about, all this bullsh*t about bugging out is just that.

Never intended on bugging out. Both my properties are set up for staying put. I found out this morning I have to have a total right knee replacement, which is no real surprise. Even with a new knee, bugging out is not going to happen.

One of the reasons we live in Weiser after living all over the world. 100 acres, totally self sufficient. Nice people that help each other. Little reliance on government or intrastructure. City people will be chaff....as they always are when it comes down to it......we have no need to go any where. Just shelter in place and defend ourself from the city zombie invasion. Coastal liberals have built an unsurvivable enviorment that they will have to live with in times of difficulty. It has always been the case. All you have to do is look at history. They rely on other people for food, water, power and most of the nesisities of life........the old song "country folks can survive" has a lot of truth.

Nice!

...but there's no escape from bad elements whom may want to do you & yours bad. A tight nit community absolutely will help though.

Isn't Ontario OR one of the highest crime areas in Oregon? What happens to those same bad actors with a hint of failure of rule of law?...

Exactly. All these plans, and unless you have taken these plans out and worked them in the field in all seasons and situation, sh*t is not going the way you plan. And since you cannot replicate the hordes of people you will encounter, the firefights you may have to get into just to survive let alone move about, all this bullsh*t about bugging out is just that.

Never intended on bugging out. Both my properties are set up for staying put. I found out this morning I have to have a total right knee replacement, which is no real surprise. Even with a new knee, bugging out is not going to happen.

Good luck with the knee!

....may consider looking into a decent cart, you know just to have. Not that your going to bug out with it. But heck it might be handy to have around anyways. Could use it for hauling your crap to a neighbors or vs vs if SHTF and other transport is no longer available.

Sorry to hear about the knee man:(.

Stuck on the couch sucks...

Hope it heals fast;)

I didn't know there was a battery factory in Weiser. Thermal optics are pretty expensive to keep fed with juice, and have limited range, and still depend on direct line of sight. Far-IR doesn't travel through insulating materials, like plastic or glass. You may see the heat once it's soaked through, but you'll just see a blob, and much of this depends on the temperature gradient between the materials. At the same time, the cooling and image processing circuitry is giving off a lot of RF driver noise. In the mean time, you're going to be chasing heat signatures all over the valley, and chances are good the light from the eyepiece will be seen by someone using a NVD.

We live in the scary distopian future, where you can be bombed by $300 chinese drones, good night vision is cheap, and crappy night vision is even cheaper, digital signal processing is fast and cheap and is everywhere.

For every technology there's a limitation, and where there's a limitation there's a counter. Sure, thermal is good for picking out the targets, but it doesn't tell you a lot about what's between you and the target, or what the specifics of the target are. Even then, the current crop of even pretty good thermal has resolution limitations.

Probably the worst thing you can do is get over-confident in your technical superiority. Despite a rotating band of 250k soldiers and 16 years there's still a taliban.

Good luck with the knee!

....may consider looking into a decent cart, you know just to have. Not that your going to bug out with it. But heck it might be handy to have around anyways. Could use it for hauling your crap to a neighbors or vs vs if SHTF and other transport is no longer available.

I have 2 nursery carts, 2 wheel balanced high quality, that I can use for transporting stuff small distances. Easily get 200 pounds on it and handle it quite well. I plan on getting a diesel Kubota side by side. For utility and farm use, should last me forever. 4wd with a snow plow for Central Oregon use.

Thanks. I already had a partial knee replacement in 2004, it is wearing out finally. Should be pretty routine.

For every technology there's a limitation, and where there's a limitation there's a counter. Sure, thermal is good for picking out the targets, but it doesn't tell you a lot about what's between you and the target, or what the specifics of the target are.

There you go popping everybody's cherry technology bubble with simple tactical considerations. The dudes who are going to carry mortars in their bug out bag will just set up and drop a few in that area where they see random heat signatures, then go in and take all the sh*t they just blew up.

There you go popping everybody's cherry technology bubble with simple tactical considerations. The dudes who are going to carry mortars in their bug out bag will just set up and drop a few in that area where they see random heat signatures, then go in and take all the sh*t they just blew up.

I am 100% for light artillery. However dropping a round on every heat signature in a forest is a waste of ammo.

Regarding the question of including tent or sleeping bag.

Simple rule: If you are considering carrying it. You have to include it in the weight for your BOB. I also don't believe in "bugging out" for 99% of situations. The I5 corridor is the most densely populated area of Washington. I happen to live in it. If something bad happens to the point people are "bugging out" every highway and interstate going in every direction will be flooded with more people on the road than we have ever seen. Gridlock with potentially no end to it depending on the situation we are talking about. Plus, where are all those bugging out people going to go? The woods? The mountains? People who think they are really going to go into the woods and live for an extended period of time are clueless. I know some people could, but that number is a fraction of a fraction. There is really only a few situations I could imagine where I actually have to bug out and most of them are highly improbable:

Asteroid of medium size on collision course with Earth and it is calculated to have an AOE near me. I might be headed to several states over.

Crazy pandemic of disease has taken place, its highly contagious, deadly, and has arrived in the area. I'm headed to a secluded location to limit my exposure to other people.

Invading army has landed on the West Coast - not necessarily a bug out, because that would be the time to volunteer to fight, but you would have to be able to bug out if retreat is necessary.

Everything else like mega earthquake, economic collapse, ect. I'm staying put. Things will either be returned to normal shortly, or if it is so terrible it is WROL long term, after I have exhausted my resources where I am, if basic necessary to live services haven't been restored I will consider venturing out to a different predetermined location. At that point society would have really gone to absolute crap potentially, the people left would be those who either prepped enough for the long haul, or have been killing other people and pillaging to survive. I would postulate most people aren't preppers. The people who went to the forests and mountains would mostly be dead from lack of food / clean water / exposure. Guns are great, but you can't eat them and when you run out of food and you are starving, what are you going to do? Something for all of us to think about.

This is all highly speculative and for the most part I believe a bunch of imaginary bologna, but at the end of the day you can't take your money with you and you might as well spend it on something so if you have your basics covered already like housing and providing for your family and want to spend money on "preps" then go for it! I think in terms of prepping most people buy way to much ammo and not enough food and water sustainability options, but that is just my thought.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top