JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_0098.JPG

I got to spend a good chunk of this winter driving up and down 395 and camping. Mostly because I'm too cheap to pay for hotels. Generally i stayed in a 3-person Big-5 special (it's been sold under a bunch of different brand names, I think the current incarnation is Rugged Exposure) It's a bit heavy compared to a UL-tent, it's also a bit bulky requiring it to be tied to the outside of my molle-II ruck. However, wind, snow, rain, and storm, it handled it all without leaking enough that it mattered, kept me warm and dry. However I also use a thermarest ground pad. Which is also bulky, even though fairly light weight. Combine this with a 20F sleeping bag, and a fleece liner, I was largely sleeping soundly through snow storms warm and dry in my tent.

My big thing, is I've cut weight everywhere else, I don't carry a lot of cooking gear (just a kettle-pot that my stove fits inside and a canteen cup), and an ultra-light stove. Pretty much my whole kit is a change of clothes, a sleeping bag, my cook set, my miniworks filter, hammock, and food. Then for winter I have a larger pack with a heavier bag and a tent. Even the heavier winter kit while much bulkier maxes out at 50lbs, and personally I don't consider a 70lb load too much (I am a very large guy though). There's a lot of personal decisions that go into the tent/bivy math, I personally go tent because I can.

What I will say, don't skimp on the rain suit. Even a cheap PVC rainsuit will keep you 30+ deg warmer than ambient because it doesn't breathe, in most cases, if the situation is really screwed, you're not going to be stopping to camp, just drop your pack, lean against it and get whatever you can in sleep when you get cold, get up put your pack on and get back to walking.

I got to spend a good chunk of this winter driving up and down 395 and camping. Mostly because I'm too cheap to pay for hotels. Generally i stayed in a 3-person Big-5 special (it's been sold under a bunch of different brand names, I think the current incarnation is Rugged Exposure) It's a bit heavy compared to a UL-tent, it's also a bit bulky requiring it to be tied to the outside of my molle-II ruck. However, wind, snow, rain, and storm, it handled it all without leaking enough that it mattered, kept me warm and dry. However I also use a thermarest ground pad. Which is also bulky, even though fairly light weight. Combine this with a 20F sleeping bag, and a fleece liner, I was largely sleeping soundly through snow storms warm and dry in my tent.

My big thing, is I've cut weight everywhere else, I don't carry a lot of cooking gear (just a kettle-pot that my stove fits inside and a canteen cup), and an ultra-light stove. Pretty much my whole kit is a change of clothes, a sleeping bag, my cook set, my miniworks filter, hammock, and food. Then for winter I have a larger pack with a heavier bag and a tent. Even the heavier winter kit while much bulkier maxes out at 50lbs, and personally I don't consider a 70lb load too much (I am a very large guy though). There's a lot of personal decisions that go into the tent/bivy math, I personally go tent because I can.

What I will say, don't skimp on the rain suit. Even a cheap PVC rainsuit will keep you 30+ deg warmer than ambient because it doesn't breathe, in most cases, if the situation is really screwed, you're not going to be stopping to camp, just drop your pack, lean against it and get whatever you can in sleep when you get cold, get up put your pack on and get back to walking.

Security may also be an issue. It's be easier to hide a tarp, or just crawl under a tree for a nap, than hiding a decent tent spot.

Security may also be an issue. It's be easier to hide a tarp, or just crawl under a tree for a nap, than hiding a decent tent spot.

Here's the thing, it takes time to pitch a tent, it takes time to hide a camp, it takes time make a useful shelter out of a tarp. Generally, if the weather is nice, you're probably not going to pitch a tent unless everything is covered in bugs and biting flies. If you're moving along, weather comes in you're tired, cold, pitch the tent, make some food, get some sleep. It's going to take longer to pitch a tarp, you're going to need to find the right set of trees to tie off to, if you're hiding it you will need to find a hiding spot (which may not be so hidey-hole when day breaks). It's all about time investment. A self supporting dome tent will work regardless of how many trees are nearby all you really need is a 7x7' patch of ground without holes, large rocks, or pointy sticks. This can be a rarity. I travel in a lot of different environments, over-all a tent works 100% of the time. Hammocks don't work in the desert unless you can string them between two vehicles, or you need some kind of complex support system. It's rare that you will find two trees close enough together (or even one tree that you can string between branches) and even then, you can't put a hammock between joshua trees, they will collapse and offer you a very unpleasant spiny surprise.

Can you gerry-rig your trekking poles with some paracord, and make a tarp work? hell yea you can, however all of the local snakes and scorpions will find it just as inviting as you will. What if you're in a wetter environment and happen to be there when the biting flies are out? I remember one trip I took it was hot, we were near a creek, and the flies were out in force, horseflies, deer flies, mosquitos, you name it, lets not forget buffalo gnats. When the bugs were out, even though it was still hot, you found a way to stay in your tent, it was hot and miserable, but it was way less miserable than being outside where it was still hot, and being devoured by bugs.

Everything is a trade off, in this case the trade-off is money and weight. In my experience, in way more varied environments, the tent pays dividends in terms of being a very good shelter that will protect you from rain, snow, cold temps, bugs, sun, etc and if you pay enough money you don't even have to deal with a lot of weight or bulk. However the most important trade-off for me at least when it comes to the temp vs tarp vs bivy, vs whatever, is the tent can be ready to sleep in with less than 10 minutes of invested time, and provided it's not soaked through can be ready to go in 20 minutes.

My biggest complaint over-all is that a lot of the ultralight tents out there are offered in your favorite palette of neon-day-glo-colors, the market is getting much better about that. If you want to spend the coin, you can get into a snugpak bunker or other military type/style tent, sure it's $300-400 but it's an awesome tent, and it comes in OD green.

..My biggest complaint over-all is that a lot of the ultralight tents out there are offered in your favorite palette of neon-day-glo-colors, the market is getting much better about that. If you want to spend the coin, you can get into a snugpak bunker or other military type/style tent, sure it's $300-400 but it's an awesome tent, and it comes in OD green.

So true!

If you ever come across a Eureka Zeus Exo in good condition, buy it...if you have a need for another/spare.

Looks like such: Amazon.com : Eureka! Zeus 2 Classic - Tent (sleeps 2) : Sports & Outdoors

Very nice tents. Single wall, 2 poles with clips. Sold mine in Khatmandu after 6 months+ of daily use, still in excellent condition.

Camouflage is a funny thing.

I had a brown Hennessey Hammock tarp I'd use on occasion as an awning/quick shade etc. Had the tarp setup scooped down a bit (against wind) amongst a field of rubble piles in Xingjian one night while Police went by searching with spotlights. They didn't seem to notice, spotlights didn't hover in my area, they didn't stop etc. Several hundred yards distance.

Last Edited:
I don't want to disrespect you or minimize your training or experiences. I appreciate what you've done. I can only see the world through my own personal experiences
Circumstances are everything - I'm not packing to be part of a highly mobile strike team or plane jump. If a couple of pounds of gear define the difference between comfort and misery after 36 hours, ok, I'll take it. I have spent weeks in remote situations and found good gear makes a huge difference.

Might as well take a motor home.........it sounds to me like most of your bug out bags will kill you in short order. I have been to all the USAF survival schools, nobody ejects from an airplane with a tent......or stove and trying to carry all the stuff to make you comfortable will kill you.

You guys are living in fantasy land......even in a tent, it would take me 10 minutes to find you with my SCAR and thermal scope.....that is just the stuff out of my gun safe......let alone with the stuff I used in the military.......my son is also a current USCG rescue helicopter crewman, they can find a body at sea that has been dead for hours.........the world has changed.

You guys are living in fantasy land......even in a tent, it would take me 10 minutes to find you with my SCAR and thermal scope.....that is just the stuff out of my gun safe......let alone with the stuff I used in the military.......my son is also a current USCG rescue helicopter crewman, they can find a body at sea that has been dead for hours.........the world has changed.
It'd take me 1 second to sniff out your smug elitism and do you in with a hearty laugh. grow a life

Just what are we making a packing list for?
Bugging out:
'Cause of a natural disaster.
'Cause of civil unrest.
'Cause of war.
All may require many different items and many different mindsets.

If you have a place to bug out to , then pack what you need to get there.
Be prepared for:
Things not to go as you planned.
To add or drop items as needed.

Another thing to consider is your physical health and load carrying abilities.
All which may not be what you need to bug out.

I guess my answer is : It all depends...
Sorry not much help here.
Andy

Our big heavy multiple BOB710(V)MH ... ((bug out bags, 7 to 10 day, vehicle, multiple, heavy) :) have a cheap Wally World on sale 2 person tent guaranteed to leak like a sieve. But we also have two, (2) or three, (3) 12x12 or so camo cheap plastic tarps and lots of para cord to string up a rain fly to keep dry. Also another on the ground. Dug rain troughs.

Requires trees to tie off to. We used this shelter for one whole year while building the Armstrong tool homestead cabin 25 years ago. Actually scrapped snow off the over hanging tent fly tarp. Inside the tent with a light sleeping bag and a 60 pound Yellow Lab we were dry and warm and cozzy. The bags were just cheap 50F WW specials. Worked fine.

Never got below about +25F outside. SW OR USA.

The only downer was that Goldie, loved to wiggle outside and run around, then wiggle back into the tent then shake off inside. She had to learn to shake off the water outside. She quickly learned this. Once inside and when fairly dry we would dry her off with a small towel. She then cuddled up close. Once she was bone dry she kept us quite warm. Fun for all. :)

The small 22 pound black emergency grab and run back pack just uses the aforementioned green plastic cheapo tube tent with two, (2) smaller camo plastic tarps. Light weight stuff. The sleeping arrangements consist of just one green heavy on sale WW blanket which is surprisingly warm rolled up African or Indian style. The one blanket takes up pack room.

Last Edited:
I always get a kick out of bug-out survival threads.
Still havent figured out where anyone is gonna bug out to on foot... Probably never will.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top