JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The mountains on either side of the Valley? Which most likely would be crawling with squatters and looters?

Talk about making ones situation worse. Even with the best backpacking gear no ones going to last more than 2 weeks tops if they even make it that far on foot with their 40lb pack....

Not really much of a prepper so I do not have a dedicated bag of gear specifically for some of the scenarios. As an avid ourdoorsmen though, all the needed gear could be quickly adapted to my hunting pack which has most of the needed items already. I guess everybody has a slightly different situation depending on location but I think a homestand and being resourceful will be the most realistic in most situations. If it really went south and I could get to my boat that would probably be the safest and easily defensible situation for the wife and I. As to the original query I would take a ul bag and tent but I already have them and have hiked with and used them extensively so I know what I am up against.

Talk about making ones situation worse. Even with the best backpacking gear no ones going to last more than 2 weeks tops if they even make it that far on foot with their 40lb pack....

Earthquake- Infrastructure Destruction = Blocked roads, blocked trails, pirates at every corner on any open transit pathway. Nobody is going anywhere.

Insurrection - Anarchy = Pirates at every road crossing, trail or transit path. Gun fights to move anywhere. Nobody is going anywhere.

The thought that anybody is going overland over the Cascades or Coast Range or other terrain is ludicrous. The thought that you are going to be able to move about effectively outside of a mile from your given location is equally ludicrous. People waste a lot of time planning and prepping for "bugging out" when in all reality you need to keep your azz in one spot with what you need to survive.

Movements will have to be done on foot, ( whats up infantry?) in large squad or larger elements and you will engage pirates. All this does is support large amounts of ammo and training to defend your preps at your own location.

Nobody smart you mean :rolleyes::cool:o_O
And this assumes that the pirates would be as well armed as some of us... but it just means most likely there would be gangs vying to take control of city/community resources and people to use for labor such as sex work in exchange for drugs and "protection", farm work/general labor in exchange for drugs and same "protection".. and depending on the severity; assaults and "talent scouting" for more resources to take control of. Of course this sounds JUST like the cartel gangs south of the Borders... and is likely more realistic than people think. The amount of addicts out here is truly very high... after the first dieoff, there will come a time of intense gang wars in the cities... which is why so many keyboard commandos are talking about bugging out somehow. But they forget... theres gonna be a mass exodus of idiots thinking the mountains will be ripe for the taking :rolleyes:

Nobody smart you mean :rolleyes::cool:o_O
And this assumes that the pirates would be as well armed as some of us... but it just means most likely there would be gangs vying to take control of city/community resources and people to use for labor such as sex work in exchange for drugs and "protection", farm work/general labor in exchange for drugs and same "protection".. and depending on the severity; assaults and "talent scouting" for more resources to take control of. Of course this sounds JUST like the cartel gangs south of the Borders... and is likely more realistic than people think. The amount of addicts out here is truly very high... after the first dieoff, there will come a time of intense gang wars in the cities... which is why so many keyboard commandos are talking about bugging out somehow. But they forget... theres gonna be a mass exodus of idiots thinking the mountains will be ripe for the taking :rolleyes:

Care to post pics? Are you cute? Perhaps I can be your Pimp and I can sell you into the sex trade during SHTF, you know, just to help you out. :D

Yes, keyboard commandos, because bugging out of town during Katrina with gear you've practiced with = keyboard commando but staying and dying or being sent to rape shelters is the way to go...:rolleyes:

I've settled on a tent and tarp. I can shave off 5lbs by buying an expensive shelter and a light back packing sleeping bag and supplement it with my thermal bivy.

Only place I'm headed is home... even if it's in shambles.

I'd rather deal with the looters then deal with armed survival ninjas personally.

Armed survival ninjas are likely to be harmless, that's why they are out there and have preps, so they don't have to steal like armed and desperate looters who are unpredictable.

Also, not every situation allows a bug in. Sometimes you really need to leave town. Wildfires, gas lines after EQ, Hurricanes, tyranny in government, etc.

Lol. My fiancee and my mother thinks im cute. Otherwise... dead. Consider that 90% of Oregon lives within 10 miles of Portland.... and 8% in the I-5 Corridor... that leaves 2% outside the I-5 Corridor BUT the 98% within are gonna screw up most of the available routes into the mountains. Best plan would be to have already bugged out in a sense... away from city folk. A small community thats old and has been together for a long time... is more trustworthy than the random people in the mountains or on the way out there.
This is why I focus on "get home" instead of "get out". Family. Portland Metro is basically a lost cause in my opinion.. I don't like going there for anything except absolutely necessary.
Not sure how WA is setup but I get the hunch you guys have to deal with Seattle area and TriCities and the I-5 Corridor just the same?

Armed survival ninjas are likely to be harmless, that's why they are out there and have preps, so they don't have to steal like armed and desperate looters who are unpredictable.

Also, not every situation allows a bug in. Sometimes you really need to leave town. Wildfires, gas lines after EQ, Hurricanes, tyranny in government, etc.

I have to disagree.

Looters are predictable.

Half of the people in the mountains are unpredictable...

Ever see why most people won't go out to public land to shoot?

Besides I'm about as far away as can be from those mountains and would be a walking target for days before stumbling on someone private property and getting shot for it.

I have to disagree.

Looters are predictable.

Half of the people in the mountains are unpredictable...

Ever see why most people won't go out to public land to shoot?

Besides I'm about as far away as can be from those mountains and would be a walking target for days before stumbling on someone private property and getting shot for it.

And somehow the public and private ranges have members of the general public as customers who are better than the public shooting spot people? That's a logical fallacy, it makes zero sense.

Also, according to whom do most people not go out to shoot at public ranges? Do you have a statistic from a credible source or is this another assumption on your part?

And somehow the public and private ranges have members of the general public as customers who are better than the public shooting spot people? That's a logical fallacy, it makes zero sense.

Also, according to whom do most people not go out to shoot at public ranges? Do you have a statistic from a credible source or is this another assumption on your part?

Yes, this forum....

Has an entire section dedicated to outdoor public land shooting and its literally nothing but reports of trash left by target shooters.

You wont find those kind at a private range, and you wont want to be around them in the woods... Especially in shtf event with no law enforcement.

Back on topic.... weight of the bag.. yes always include the shelter system along with sleep system for the weight estimation. If you are gonna carry that weight anyhow.. why eliminate it? Its misleading when one says "sub 50lb bag" but omit shelter and sleep and food stuff.

Theres a trend in backpacking to omit the weight of food and water... to make their gear seem lighter in estimations.

Theres also a relatively recent category of weighing the stuff.. "skin out" as in weight EVERYTHING including the clothes and shoes on you and the bag itself and so on.. sure it trends upwards (relatively heavy!) But is far more realistic because it accounts for every little thing.

My GHB varies in weight because of seasons. It also varies in size. Summertime its a 3 day pack.. fall to winter to spring its either Large ALICE or MOLLE II or the Mounted Crewman Compartmented Equipment Bag (carries winter gear for two)

Edit; a GHB should not weight more than 50lbs total with everything for 3 days. Even though you may physically be capable of carrying heavier weights.. it takes a toll on your back, legs and joints. The huge MCCEB is mainly a vehicle bag but it can be mounted onto a game cart type of wheeled device to reduce the strain on the persons.

Last Edited:
Yes, this forum....

Has an entire section dedicated to outdoor public land shooting and its literally nothing but reports of trash left by target shooters.

You wont find those kind at a private range, and you wont want to be around them in the woods... Especially in shtf event with no law enforcement.

That one:rolleyes:

Do you include a tent and sleeping bag with your BOB, at least for winter season? I added them to my BOB recently. I went from 28 lbs to 46 lbs. I had just an emergency bivy space blanket style, thermal blanket/tarp combo, another tarp and some more space blankets. Yes it weighs a lot more but...

I've spent the night in the mountains in the summer time wrapped up in a space blanket with a tarp backing because that was all I had when I lost the trail in the dark, just what I had in my pockets. It was uncomfortable overall but OK in that weather. I'd sure hate to have to do that in the winter though during a bad storm...And improvised shelters take immense time to build, time you don't have when on the move and they still are not as good as a tent in the rough PNW mountains.

Hence why I decided to add the tent and the sleeping bag. I know some will balk, but how often have you spent time in the bush when it is pouring down non stop rain, windy, cold, etc.? I go camping in the winter when it's pouring down rain, snow, windy as all heck or bitter cold. The tent and sleeping bag make it possible, and I'm not even using a four season tent, just an el cheapo special, but it works well. I'd hate to be out there with just space blankets and a tarp in the winter.

I actually plan to bug in primarily, and if I do have to bug out, I'd use the car to take me as far as it can. Even if I do have to carry it, I'm athletic and have done 14+ mile hikes in the rain with a pack in rough terrain. Yeah, I'm not in my twenties anymore but if I had to I could do it again.
No, my bag has 3 garbage bags. One to put over me to keep me dry and the others for whatever else I need to keep dry or contain something wet. The bug out bag should be kept as small and light as possible. It is not a long term survival bag!

I camp quite a bit; the necessities: 3 season tent, 20 degree bag, water, food, water filter, rain poncho, med kit, compass, knife, fire stuff, mirror, protection - you know, 10 essentials.
The real question is: bug out to where?
The GHB is a necessity, but leaving home seems like a losing proposition. Try and live in the woods 3 months after SHTF? hardly. 1000 rounds of ammo or a weeks worth of food - that's a real choice. So you're on foot with maybe 200 rounds and 2 weeks of food? Where will that get you?
5M people in the Seattle area with 2 roads West... 1 possibility passable if it's winter and playing the nomad game will eventually roll snake eyes. logistics and probability is a b-atch.
The only realistic situation is a group with a place. safety in numbers and a functional community if it's long term. If it's just a few weeks, board up the home and stay.

Might as well take a motor home.........it sounds to me like most of your bug out bags will kill you in short order. I have been to all the USAF survival schools, nobody ejects from an airplane with a tent......or stove and trying to carry all the stuff to make you comfortable will kill you.

I want to find a lightweight thin 3 to 4 season bag, as light and thin as possible, then I might put it in the boxes of stuff I have in my vehicle.

I had one but it and another much heavier bag have worn out.
I think I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to have to make some of my own bags/gear. I have like a 71 ltr. Kelty coyote that's pretty fantastic but I think I can do better. Plus I have a industrial REX/JUKI sewing machine.
As for the question of the shelter. I may be "ignant" but I'd rather save the weight and just carry a good stuff bag and a nice fleece bag liner. You should be able to string a line upost places and throw a tarp to create a simple A frame. Or lean to with a stake and string. Keep in mind people have been using Teepee's around these parts for centuries. Id much rather have a decent tarp.
I also have a decent 3 season hiking/camping tent but I'd rather bring tools for perm shelter buildin.
As far as smoke goes if you educate yourself about what causes it. There's probably more than a few methods you can use to prevent it. It's fun to day dream and romanticize and I'll still plan and buy for the just in case. But in a real bad BO situation there will be NO evading whatsoever. The only way we would stand a decent chance of any long term survival is a massive solar flare resetting the stacked deck of cards somewhat.
And in that case surviving would be so insurmountably miserable I doubt most anyone would want to try and eek it out.
As I always say it's a game of options. And the point is to have as many as possible.

Might as well take a motor home.........it sounds to me like most of your bug out bags will kill you in short order. I have been to all the USAF survival schools, nobody ejects from an airplane with a tent......or stove and trying to carry all the stuff to make you comfortable will kill you.
Exactly I prefer to bug out with super primative in mind. I also forgot to mention right now I have 2 bags one with the bare necessities and the other with some add on stuff. And double of some of the more critical stuff like knives and hatchets etc. It will make it alot easier if you bug out with a partner. And if you get separated will make it alot easier to find each other and survive if need be. Survival primative knowledge is the best thing you can pack.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top