JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to have a much better hiking bag, but it got damaged and I threw it away.

I took delivery of a MSS and last night now tried the fit only.

Bear in mind that I am 6'6" tall and weigh #275. I am not fat, that weight is mostly in my torso though, so I am somewhat thick.
With the two bags snapped together "Patrol" bag on the outside (it is much thinner, but roomier on the inside and IIRC, meant to be used on the outside when used together with the thicker ICW bag), and the "intermediate" (ICW) bag inside, I wore some street clothes and a fleece jacket and climbed into the bags.

I could barely zip up the patrol bag, and I could tell these bags are not meant for tall people like me - maybe someone about 4-6" shorter would be fine, but while I was not totally cramped, I had no spare room at all like with my hiking bag.

Bear in mind, there may be a larger version of this system, but I've not seen the specs on it, if it exists. There is also a newer version of this system - the Improved MSS, which is similar - not sure of the differences except for the color of the the intermediate bag (grey vs. black?) and bivy bag (ACU vs. Woodland).

I wore the clothes because I wanted to see what the worst case would be; wearing warm clothes inside the bag for maximum warmth.
As this and other reviews note - this is old heavy tech and not the best for keeping you warm:

[URL]http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2014/05/us-military-modular-sleep-system-mss.html[/url]

For now it will serve its purpose. I am almost 70 and I don't hike/hunt/ski or otherwise sleep on the ground outside anymore. But I do feel better having a a warmish sleeping system in case I get stuck somewhere in the mountains and wind up having to sleep inside a vehicle in really cold temps - especially after this last winter (it is spring now, but here on the mountain it snowed twice yesterday and temps have been freezing or below).

I will probably get a Big Agnes bag next year, but right now I will make do with this MSS system - the price and condition were right, and when I upgrade I can have this as backup and it would probably fit someone else who is somewhat smaller. I don't have to haul it on my back, so I am not too worried about the weight. YMMV - if you are going to be hoofing it or using it on a bicycle/motorcycle, I would definitely go for something lighter, more compact and warmer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top