JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have buffalo Bore loads for our .357s from their standard .38 load, to 158 gn cast lead semi wad cutters and these new 125 grn, JHP .357 Mag at 1700 FPS out of m y 5" S&W 686

fired one outside this evening

Buffalo Bore must use a low flash powder, since my son and I did not detect a significant muzzle flash in the dark

my son was on the deck and I was at the gate firing into the berm at 35', did not ruin our night vision, could have done a follow up shot without a loss of focus

both of us were wearing ear pro (had to say that)

but if you need a self defense load for use in the dark that uses low flash powder, I can highly recommend Buffalo Bore in 9mm, .38/357, .357 Sig and .45

yes, they are $2/rnd, but what is your life worth?

I have buffalo Bore loads for our .357s from their standard .38 load, to 158 gn cast lead semi wad cutters and these new 125 grn, JHP .357 Mag at 1700 FPS out of m y 5" S&W 686

fired one outside this evening

Buffalo Bore must use a low flash powder, since my son and I did not detect a significant muzzle flash in the dark

my son was on the deck and I was at the gate firing into the berm at 35', did not ruin our night vision, could have done a follow up shot without a loss of focus

both of us were wearing ear pro (had to say that)

but if you need a self defense load for use in the dark that uses low flash powder, I can highly recommend Buffalo Bore in 9mm, .38/357, .357 Sig and .45

yes, they are $2/rnd, but what is your life worth?
Yes. Buffalo Bore uses flash suppressed powder. At least for all ammo that might be used in SD. Maybe in all ammo. Likewise for Double Tap. And Corbon. As do most reputable ammo manufacturers these days. I tried out a low-flash vs regular .357 ammo one early evening when I lived out near Alcea OR in about 1980. Huge difference. The sheet of flame from the 4" Colt .357 with ordinary unsuppressed ammo was about 2' long and was blinding. The flash from the suppressed ammo was hardly noticeable.

Neighbors, who didn't worry about one or two shots at night, were obviously worried about 6. A deputy sheriff showed up and asked if I had heard any gunfire. I told him about my test. His next question was about the result. He had never tried his gun at night either, and was interested to hear that the ordinary SD ammo was, indeed, blinding, and the flash suppressed made a huge difference.

I was using Corbon .357 hps for predator control, mostly at night, in the 90s and early 2000s and never even noticed the flash.

Yes. Buffalo Bore uses flash suppressed powder. At least for all ammo that might be used in SD. Maybe in all ammo. Likewise for Double Tap. And Corbon. As do most reputable ammo manufacturers these days. I tried out a low-flash vs regular .357 ammo one early evening when I lived out near Alcea OR in about 1980. Huge difference. The sheet of flame from the 4" Colt .357 with ordinary unsuppressed ammo was about 2' long and was blinding. The flash from the suppressed ammo was hardly noticeable.

Neighbors, who didn't worry about one or two shots at night, were obviously worried about 6. A deputy sheriff showed up and asked if I had heard any gunfire. I told him about my test. His next question was about the result. He had never tried his gun at night either, and was interested to hear that the ordinary SD ammo was, indeed, blinding, and the flash suppressed made a huge difference.

I was using Corbon .357 hps for predator control, mostly at night, in the 90s and early 2000s and never even noticed the flash.
back in the early '90s, I fired my .357 inside a barn at a rat on a corn bag
I was blinded in the dark barn and couldn't even find the door out and deafened for at least 15 min
switched to a 10/22 fore hunting rats in barns after that
I do appreciate this flash suppressed ammo

I was blinded in the dark barn and couldn't even find the door out and deafened for at least 15 min

I fired a .357 outdoors without ear protection as a kid and could still feel the affects the next day.

I don't use full .357 mag loads indoors. Or carrying them for SD indoors or in vehicles. .357 mag produces about twice as much noise as .38sp, 9mm, .45acp or .44sp. It's even noisier than a shotgun. Depending upon the specifics of the confined space the noise can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss or ear drum damage or destruction, temporary or permanent pain or ringing in ears, etc. After hearing about this and checking out the data on noise produced I switched from full .357 mag loads to Buffalo Bore full wadcutter hard cast .38sp loads. (Anti-personnel ammo.) More than a foot of of penetration in mammalian flesh and bone. These are not low power practice rounds. They are a specially hardened full wad cutter pushed at near 38sp +P velocitues. Good enough if I need to shoot black bear in the head. Or shoot through a car window or door or barrier at an attacker. My home is so situated that overpenetration of bullet if I needed to fire indoors isn't an issue.

Very acute hearing is my superpower. Even at age 76 I can hear mice talking with each other from 30' away. They make a huge range of high pitched chirps and are very verbal when they play. Researchers know about this now from using special recording equipment. They apparently can't just hear it. I can hear mice moving around in the grass just like foxes and my husky used to do. The canines locate such mice by sound, then pounce on them with a double forearm stab. Big caterpillars give themselves away by chewing very noisily. And deer move noisily. I normally hear them way before they hear me. The down side is I can't go into nightclubs and most places that play music as the sound level is unbearable. And living in a noisy part of a city can be a problem. However, I like having super-hearing, and don't want to damage it. And I don't feel particularly under gunned with a .357 carrying the special Buffalo .38sp hardcast wadcutters.

Last Edited:
I don't use full .357 mag loads indoors. Or carrying them for SD indoors or in vehicles. .357 mag produces about twice as much noise as .38sp, 9mm, .45acp or .44sp. It's even noisier than a shotgun. Depending upon the specifics of the confined space the noise can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss or ear drum damage or destruction, temporary or permanent pain or ringing in ears, etc. After hearing about this and checking out the data on noise produced I switched from full .357 mag loads to Buffalo Bore full wadcutter hard cast .38sp loads. (Anti-personnel ammo.) More than a foot of of penetration in mammalian flesh and bone. These are not low power practice rounds. They are a specially hardened full wad cutter pushed at near 38sp +P velocitues. Good enough if I need to shoot black bear in the head. Or shoot through a car window or door or barrier at an attacker. My home is so situated that overpenetration of bullet if I needed to fire indoors isn't an issue.

Very acute hearing is my superpower. Even at age 76 I can hear mice talking with each other from 30' away. They make a huge range of high pitched chirps and are very verbal when they play. Researchers know about thus NIW from using special recording equipment.. I can hear mice moving around in the grass just like foxes and my husky used to do, locating them by sound, then pouncing with a forearm stab. Big caterpillars chew very noisily. And deer move noisily. I normally hear them way before they hear me. The down side is I can't go into nightclubs and most places that play music as the sound level is unbearable. And living in a noisy part of a city can be a problem. However, I like having super-hearing, and don't want to damage it. And I don't feel particularly under gunned with a .357 carrying the special Buffalo .38sp hardcast wadcutters.
I've had those .38+P wadcutters in all our .357 for years, including my wife's old SP101
I bought the .357 for cougar
also bought a box of the .357 180 hard cast outdoor loads - in case I run into a Sasquatch
we do have black bear out here, but they are not a threat to humans

Hot 125s can be trouble in K-frame Smiths due to the thin forcing cone. The model 19s and 66s being essentially hot-rodded .38 special frames. The L and N frames and ll other makes are fine, as they were engineered for the .357 and its pressures.

Hot 125s can be trouble in K-frame Smiths due to the thin forcing cone. The model 19s and 66s being essentially hot-rodded .38 special frames. The L and N frames and ll other makes are fine, as they were engineered for the .357 and its pressures.
both our Smiths are Gen 6 686, no issue
and we won't even talk about our Rugers

I did break a Ruger SP101 after 30 years of use (trigger) - Ruger repaired it for free and had it back to me in a week

Sold, get in the truck and DON'T touch anything. When we get home I want THREE coats of wax on the truck after you wash it.

Oh yeah, and your name is now McFly!

but my wife doesn't let me reload in the house, but she'll allow me to pay $2/bullet
Female logic, she probably figures you got them "on sale", so it's fine.

I don't use full .357 mag loads indoors. Or carrying them for SD indoors or in vehicles. .357 mag produces about twice as much noise as .38sp, 9mm, .45acp or .44sp. It's even noisier than a shotgun. Depending upon the specifics of the confined space the noise can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss or ear drum damage or destruction, temporary or permanent pain or ringing in ears, etc. After hearing about this and checking out the data on noise produced I switched from full .357 mag loads to Buffalo Bore full wadcutter hard cast .38sp loads. (Anti-personnel ammo.) More than a foot off of penetration in mammalian flesh and bone. These are not low power practice rounds. They are a specially hardened full wad cutter pushed at near 38sp +P velocitues. Good enough if I need to shoot black bear in the head. Or shoot through a car window or door or barrier at an attacker. My home is so situated that overpenetration of bullet if I needed to fire indoors isn't an issue.

Very acute hearing is my superpower. Even at age 76 I can hear mice talking with each other from 30' away. They make a huge range of high pitched chirps and are very verbal when they play. Researchers know about this now from using special recording equipment. They apparently can't just hear it. I can hear mice moving around in the grass just like foxes and my husky used to do. The canines locate such mice by sound, then pounce on them with a double forearm stab. Big caterpillars give themselves away by chewing very noisily. And deer move noisily. I normally hear them way before they hear me. The down side is I can't go into nightclubs and most places that play music as the sound level is unbearable. And living in a noisy part of a city can be a problem. However, I like having super-hearing, and don't want to damage it. And I don't feel particularly under gunned with a .357 carrying the special Buffalo .38sp hardcast wadcutters.

So what you're saying is, nobody can get away with blaming "the elephant under the chair" if someone accidentally "poots" themselves while at your house….

;) :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads