JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys really do make I laff sometimes with the Brit-knock. Do you lie awake at night thinking this stuff up?

'You awake, dear?'

'Sure am, honey, just trying to think of a few more insulting comments I can make about them pesky Brits, y'know, maybe mentioning tea, bad teeth, stupid gun laws, driving on the wrong side of the road, cra*py cars, cra*py manners, cra*py little homes, cra*py most everything, right? Really makes me wonder why we have anything to do with them at all, hear what I'm sayin'?'

It's getting tiresome, folks, it really is.

Little touchy eh what? Get a sense of humor mate. We are buddies, in fact my family's from merry old England. My first car was a Healy 3000, I've had B's, XJ6's, Cortina's, etc. I raced Irish made formula fords with a "Kent" ford motor for 23 years. I think William Lyons and Colin Chapman were the greatest car designers ever. We have a Royal Treasurer in our family tree, and were granted tobacco farming land in (Queen) Maryland in the 1600's by the Crown. I just might be more english than you except for still bowing to the Queen thing.

That's why we can kid each other. But it didn't seem like your home boy in Yellowstone (a guest in our country at the time) was kidding. He's the one who made it about England vs the US, thus the reaction. If he's offended by a single open carry in Yellowstone then he might want to stay in the National Parks, it gets way wilder than that here!

We both have enough to be embarrassed about with our own country and leaders on a given day, let's us keep it easy and light. If you get over this way bring your shotty and we'll head out with my (English) setter for some pheasant or partridge. That's for real, I'll show you some American hospitality and the real west.

I am 1/8th English, so you outnumber me in Englishness by 87.5%.

Whatever you think of the British or their politicians, none of them are anywhere near competing in klutzity as the incomparably inept Leo Veradkar [Republic of [Ireland], and Justin Trudeau [Canada].

I'll be truthful and tell you that although I'm approaching my middle 70's, I've yet to meet what I call a gun goof - of which the 'Richard Head' Brit in Yellowstone seems to be a prime example. As you may have noticed over the years that I've been here, I have no documented opinion about the how and why of the American way of life, one, I'll add, that Mrs tac and I enjoy so much on our annual visits. That's because my mom raised me to say nothing, if I had nothing worth saying. I'm here to learn, or to pass on experiences I may have had, not to enter into p*$$ing matches.

And as you have mentioned, you and the Brits have a lot of shared ancestry, and international problems, too. France and Ireland have little to be grateful for regarding their long-term relationships with Perfidious Albion, in fact, my father was jailed for blowing up a police station, almost a hundred years ago, it's true, but it happened.

I'm here because we are stuck here, and that's all I'm going to say except to note that our daughter is the anchor. If you had told me back in 1974, when we first arrived here on a three-year posting, that on 25th July 2019 I'd still be driving around this same spot, I would have dived headfirst into a wood chipper.

Last Edited:
Mr. Hughes... The vast majority of Americans don't traipse around in Grizzly Bear country either.... dopey.

Oops... was that "not being excellent" of me? :rolleyes:;)
Mr. Hughes... The vast majority of Americans don't traipse around in Grizzly Bear country either.... dopey.

Oops... was that "not being excellent" of me? :rolleyes:;)
Excellent enough for a Stomper, I'd say.

Betas gonna beta.

I don't care if the entire world said, "you don't need a gun," let alone a segment of the American population, or the British.

Seems like history is a bit lacking for the hoplophobe. American's don't like being told what to do.

I'm here because we are stuck here, and that's all I'm going to say except to note that our daughter is the anchor. If you had told me back in 1974, when we first arrived here on a three-year posting, that on 25th July 2019 I'd still be driving around this same spot, I would have dived headfirst into a wood chipper.

I think dear @tac just "spilled the beans" on the secret ingredient for making authentic English kidney pie!! ;):p

Those that like being told what to do are too weak and frail to be able to think and do for themselves. If I had my way, I'd dump all of them in NYC, blow the bridges, and wall off the place. Let them stew in their freedom-less bastion of .gov "heaven" and then laugh as they slowly realized (some of them) their mistake.

I'm a paternal descendant of William I grandfather Fulbert de Tonner. I invaded Iraq with Royal Marines Commandos and the Port Regiment. We appreciate their hospitality and wonderful food, best mess of any nation I worked with. Mobile bakery was fantastic! I worked with MI5 it was always a pleasure. But don't get me started with the US Constitution. I'm a pre Revolution 12th Gen. American 3%er descendant. We are pretty happy with the royals staying on the other side of the pond.

If I had my way, I'd dump all of them in NYC, blow the bridges, and wall off the place. Let them stew in their freedom-less bastion of .gov "heaven" and then laugh as they slowly realized (some of them) their mistake.

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting idea for a movie...

Last Edited:
Imagine traveling the world..
All that time and money spent on what should be a fun, memory creating experience..

Yet him being such a limp wrist, virtue signaling, "think-like-me-or-else" fascist euro trash ideologue he allowed another individual to bother him to the point to where he felt the need to not only disregard yellowstone, his travels, the surrounding beauty, whip out his wittle camera, snap a pic, post it online and vent to his likeminded lemming friends..

Guys like that are just pathetic. I find most radical ideologues are so caught up on how others live, they themselves allow life to pass them by. They'd rather police and regulate others lives rather than living their own.

I have a friend who has a British friend who has visited the US several times. (He is retired military and a retired British Bobby) The two things he enjoyed while here, besides traveling the state of Oregon and enjoying all it has to offer, were horseback riding and shooting guns. My friend's son is a gunsmith and an NRA instructor, and has quite a collection. They live in the country and can shoot on their own property.

The British view on firearms ownership is a cautionary tale for us. Like many US legal traditions, we inherited the idea of the right to possess firearms from English common law.

If you look at the history of firearms regulation in England, the first "real" gun control laws they had were passed in 1920 due to fears of communism and the fighting in Ireland. There were a couple more swipes prior to WWII, including removing self defense as a valid reason to own a firearm. It seems like they have gone back to the trough every 10-20 years since then to tighten some more, usually after a highly publicized shooting.

I have a book published in England from the early 1980s that talks about collecting military antiques. When it comes to the topic of guns, the author states that they are very highly regulated and pretty much writes off the idea of collecting them- and this is prior to the worst of their laws that did in pistols and semi-auto rifles.

In the span of a little more than a generation, the English government wiped out a centuries-long tradition of gun ownership, by law, but more importantly culturally. This tourist's attitude is the fruit of all that hard work.

The big concern is that a lot of these new laws cropping up in the US: "safe" storage, different rules for semi-auto rifles, raising the age to buy rifles to 21, etc. are very similar to the laws that were progressively enacted in England over the last half of the 20th century. If we can't get this under control, the British tourist of 2019's opinion on firearms might not be any different from the U.S. citizen of the 2050's opinion.

The British view on firearms ownership is a cautionary tale for us. ...

If you look at the history of firearms regulation in England, the first "real" gun control laws they had were passed in 1920 due to fears of communism and the fighting in Ireland. ...

I've posted this before but it is worth mentioning again:

One interesting statistic is that from 1920 to 1999, the assault rate in the UK went from 2.39/100k to 419.29/100k -- almost a 200 fold increase. Anyway, the takeaway is that firearms ownership is what made the world safe enough for people to think that firearms are a problem rather than a solution. Without them, the pudgy, the old (I'm both of these), those with injuries or other weaknesses, those who just aren't as beefy, are at the mercy of the young, strong, and thuggish without firearms to level the playing field.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews