JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What shoots these?

... where they found around 2,200 bullets - the majority of which were 2.2mm rifle rounds.

Did they mean .22? That's what it looks like in the pictures. Every time a read a news report on something I have some familiarity with, it reminds me to have about zero faith in all the other things reporters say on topics I'm not familiar with.

Yeah, you ever eat in England? Most visitors are polite enough not to mention it.

You posted that just as I'm sitting down to my supper of watered-down gruel without any gruel in it, and a breadless sammidge without any kind of filling. Sure, we don't eat well here, ask the international Michelin Food guide. :rolleyes:

You guys really do make I laff sometimes with the Brit-knock. Do you lie awake at night thinking this stuff up?

'You awake, dear?'

'Sure am, honey, just trying to think of a few more insulting comments I can make about them pesky Brits, y'know, maybe mentioning tea, bad teeth, stupid gun laws, driving on the wrong side of the road, cra*py cars, cra*py manners, cra*py little homes, cra*py most everything, right? Really makes me wonder why we have anything to do with them at all, hear what I'm sayin'?'

'Yeah, sure does make you wonder why so many of us there every year in HUGE numbers. 'spose it's to see real history, real pageantry, all those castles and stuff. So many of us have ancestors who came from there, after all. And then there's the other thing, y'know, aren't they the best allies we've ever had? Like, Iraq, Afghanistan, that kind of thing? I thought that those cra*py Brits and their cra*py little Army and Air Force and SF teams were right there with us? Guess I got that all wrong...'

It's getting tiresome, folks, it really is.

Yeah, you ever eat in England? Most visitors are polite enough not to mention it.

I have and quite enjoyed it. Among other things they have much better bacon than we do - it's a different cut that's much more meaty. Yes, they seriouslyout bacon the US. I damn near killed myself at the breakfast buffet at the hotel I stayed at. I've had the range of meh to exquisite there same as business travel in the US.

I don't feel like being polite, since he is not. That being said I reserve my right to not be excellent to that judgmental twit.
There, I said it. :confused:

If you are talking about Mr Tony Martin, a not-too-far-away neighbour, perhaps a few facts might serve to colour your comment with a little truth.

Mr Martin shot the burglar in the back with an illegally-held firearm.

The initial charge of murder - which is what he would have been charged with in most of the USA - was reduced to manslaughter on appeal.

As far as the record goes, Mr Martin ended up serving three years of a five year sentence. One of those 'travellers' that he shot died of his injuries, the other didn't, which in my opinion, is a great pity.

Both were scabs on the surface of the planet - the survivor continues to be so, and will be until another farmer somewhere, with both a better aim and a legally-held shotgun, blows his head off.
I wasn't aware he shot the bum in the back. That is indeed manslaughter. But I have a few questions...
Why was Mr. Martin's gun "illegally held"?

Are travelers the same as "Pikeys"(sp.) from the movie Snatch?

I was there last month, I carried a .44 mag (an actual revolver ;)), bear spray and bear bells. Good thing I don't care what he thinks. I also saw way too many people trying to get right up to bison, and a very large bull elk.

I was there last month, I carried a .44 mag (an actual revolver ;)), bear spray and bear bells. Good thing I don't care what he thinks. I also saw way too many people trying to get right up to bison, and a very large bull elk.

I lived nearby for three years and went there a lot. I always kept things like hot springs or other barriers between myself and larger animals whenever possible.

Yea what are people thinking? - They approach the largest U.S. land animal and while unpredictable can approach 40 MPH and use you as a rag doll.
Perfect for a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment....

Yea what are people thinking? - They approach the largest U.S. land animal and while unpredictable can approach 40 MPH and use you as a rag doll.
Perfect for a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment....
Because city folk are ignorant. Every deer is Bambi. They don't hunt and and they ignore the signs warning them not to go near the animals. Generally, their only interactions with animals are at petting zoos, so they get stomped or worse, their kids get stomped.

I wasn't aware he shot the bum in the back. That is indeed manslaughter. But I have a few questions...
Why was Mr. Martin's gun "illegally held"?

Are travelers the same as "Pikeys"(sp.) from the movie Snatch?

In order -

1. His shotgun was an illegally-held semi-auto, capable of holding MORE than three cartridges. In the yUK you can have ANY kind of shotgun with a barrel over 24" on a simple Shotgun Certificate [SGC] as a Section 2 firearm. In fact, if you have a SGC you can own as many shotguns like this as you can afford. However, Mr Martin's shotgun was capable of holding MORE than three cartridges, and therefore comes under a different and far more stringent set of laws pertaining to Section 1 firearms. To have a Section 1 firearm you must have a Firearms Certificate {FAC] - with a lot more rules on storage and use and so on. Mr Martin did NOT have an FAC. This, in yUK law, is called an 'absolute offence', that is to say, it is indefensible, as you either have, or have not, got a FAC. That alone is a three to five year offence.

2. Yes.

Cultural differences...

It's funny he's afraid/confused about gun owners

My wife and I are afraid to go visit his home country because A) you have to rely on the kindness of strangers to protect your own life and B) you can't even say you are worried about a possible extremist or the thought police might come arrest you(they have the opposite of freedom of speech there)

It's really sad too, I have relatives that live there I haven't seen since my 20s. (And probably never will see unless the UK radically changes) Its ok though, last time I was there the culture unique to Britain was mostly gone from what I remember in my teen years.

Sad

Tac, we have our own share of "pikies" on this side of the pond as well, some might even venture onto internet forums and make blanket statements about entire countries and their populations. I'm sure most here are lambasting the anti gun population of the UK, and hold you and your firearms knowledge in high regard.

A British tourist visiting Yellowstone noticed an American open carrying and posted the following on Twitter:

(click picture for enlarged view)
View attachment 602962

"Bellend" is British slang for the head of the male organ.

Kevin Hughes' Flickr account states he is a retired police officer, but apparently he doesn't know the difference between a pistol and a revolver (unfortunately neither do some American gun owners, but I digress).

Hughes' tweet ignited a firestorm of critical comments from Americans. If you are not familiar with Twitter, one thing you want to avoid is having a lot more comments than likes, since it is likely when there is a high ratio of comments to likes most of the comments are critical. The higher the "ratio" of comments to likes, the more likely it was a bad tweet.

View attachment 602951

View attachment 602970

Hughes' tweet was mocked by the NRA.

View attachment 602964

Hughes was so mortified by the response to his tweet he deleted not just the tweet but also his entire Twitter account, so you can't see all 16,000+ comments, but some are available
here Tourist shares shocking photo of an armed man minding his own business at Yellowstone
and here https://twitter.com/search?q=kevinhughes348&src=recent_search_click
What pisses me off the most is that Kevin Hughes called this individual a "Dick Head." And he doesn't even know the person. That should discredit Kevin from any further legitimacy and the revolver comment even further establishes Kevin's ignorance. I would venture to say Kevin has an axe to grind on the subject. Maybe being a subject magistrate who is not allowed to carry a gun by the Queen, got under his skin? Hopefully he gets therapy..

It's just little thing, I guess, but it matters a lot to me that you get the 'queen' thing.

She has absolutely NO powers to do ANYTHING about the law - THAT is why she has the set of legal people who put the laws together, both Common Law, and Criminal Law.

The monarchy in the yUK, as I mentioned not too long ago, abjured the Divine Right of Kings on a cold morning in 1649, when King Charles I got his head lopped off by Black Jack Ketchum.

Since that time, the law of the land is made by the people who make the laws, called the Law Lords, with the help and advice of the Home Secretary and his/her team of legal eagles.

The monarchy is only required to rubber-stamp the law, still called 'The King's/Queen's Peace'. After all, when you enter a court in the yUK, the coat of arms you see on the wall above the judge's bench is the royal coat of arms.

Cultural differences...

It's funny he's afraid/confused about gun owners

My wife and I are afraid to go visit his home country because A) you have to rely on the kindness of strangers to protect your own life and B) you can't even say you are worried about a possible extremist or the thought police might come arrest you(they have the opposite of freedom of speech there)

It's really sad too, I have relatives that live there I haven't seen since my 20s. (And probably never will see unless the UK radically changes) Its ok though, last time I was there the culture unique to Britain was mostly gone from what I remember in my teen years.

Sad

What I find sad is that you really believe this cra- stuff. o_O

tac,

Thanks for the information regarding 'that' particular set of criminals.

As to food: I love English food. Had plenty of it when I was there.

What do I know about food?

Ultimately, it was part of my job to be wined and dined by top management of corporations all over the world, thus I have quite a considerable amount of exposure to world class cuisine....

I would hazard a guess those who knock English food probably haven't had any, but are quick to 'jump on the band wagon' of knocking the food.

And you're right about the U.K. being tremendous allies.

I fully appreciate it and think most Americans do also.

As to mocking U.K. law: How hypocritical.

As if our laws here make much greater sense each and every time...nope...with ever increasing corrosion....

I have had some good food in the UK, mostly at pubs, and some not-so-good food. Dare I suggest that Mr. MannyGlocks - "wined and dined by top management" - did not eat where us common folks do?
It puzzles me that the Brits air the absolute finest cooking & baking shows, yet the products of these seem unavailable to the common uneducated visitor.
With respect to their fine gun laws, until early in the 20th century I believe they were influenced by William Blackstone & understood that an armed population was important should the Gov't need changed. Then, IMHO, they began to think too much about armed Irishmen & bit by bit they lost their rights.
Like has been happening here for many decades.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top