JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Actually JimmyD you have no idea what the US constitution says. CCW on private property is not a protected right. Any private company can ban carry on their own land.

Actually ronin,you have know idea what you are talking about,since it was just a salesman and not a proper representative from the dealership telling him he can't carry.
He wasn't even told he couldn't carry,just he shouldn't be able to.

And guys,believe me,unless the salesman was thee best salesman ever,he isn't there any more.
After making 2 customers walk?
Waterwalker comes to mind,to keep a job

Don't break concealment. It upsets some folks.

You break concealment, in my mind, you're entitled to the reactions you create.

People are entitled to their own opinion, for sure...but when you go to work you can't voice them. If he can't leave his personal biasnesses at the door then that saleman needs to find a new job.

He demanded to see the guy's permit....really? Who the heck does he think he is?!

We're on page one, and you guys don't see the value in behaving civilly?

I'm amazed at us sometimes.

There's nothing wrong with boycotting a business that employes people that openly stereotypes gun owners. Period. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if this was against a minority, would we? Seriously, put it in perspective that I'm a racist bigot that can't stand Mexicans and one just walked through the showroom floor...I have to place my own personal feelings aside and conduct business as if I would anyone else. This salesman could not act like a professional and do his job without bias and has thus lost a customer...probably many, in fact. Unless a representative from the company, itself, apologized on behalf of the employee then this is a moot point. The Original Poster was blatantly stereotyped for his stance on firearms. He did nothing illegal or against the policy of the dealership, yet was discriminated against by one of their employees.

What am I missing here? What did the OP do wrong that you feel so adamant about defending the dealership for? Having the gun, or a salesman finding out he had one? So he is deserving of the bigotry and ignorance of others because of the OP not being discrete enough for your taste and the salesman's taste?

If he was open carrying and some random liberal ran up to him and started screaming about guns and violence then I would agree with you- that would be a completely different case. When you open carry you are basically telling the world about your stance on an issue...but this wasn't the case. A salesman representing a dealership tried to enforce non existing laws and policies- to which he had no authority to do so in the first place!

Not hard for us to boycott them, I've never owned a Ford and my wife did when we got married. We had to pay $250 to get it running long enough to drive to the Honda dealers and trade it off.

Actually I guess I did own something on a Ford chassis as three of our motorhomes were on a Ford chassis.

I can't believe that any salesman would be so stupid and I can't believe that he was not fired on the spot,but carp like this does happen.
Maybe we should all give the Ford dealer a call and voice our opinion of thier corporate policy of allowing salemen to harass customers?
Do you know this salesmans name?

Really? I went for a test drive with a salesman at another dealer in Hillsboro several years ago. He was supposed to be telling me all about the features of the car, etc (which I HATE!!) but instead all he did was tell me about how hard life was in the halfway house after getting out of prison for the cocaine distribution charge he got nailed with. I mean, good for him and everything but it didn't do much for helping me decide to buy the car. Which I didn't.

Personally I would avoid dealing with a dealership with the name DICK in it. There are morons everywhere... trust me I work with some. I too would void the deal and walk away. I think we need to have a meeting and do an open carry on the public sidewalk in front of that dealership. I am local and if it works out I am game.

Actually JimmyD you have no idea what the US constitution says. CCW on private property is not a protected right. Any private company can ban carry on their own land.

There is private property, and then there is private property that is open to the general public...there is a very big difference between the two. The Private property rights of those that open their property to the general public, can be, and are very restricted in what they can and cannot restrict as private property owners...don't think so? Read the ADA (Americians with Disabilities Act) and the Civil Rights Act. (AKA "places of public accomidation')

When the 2A is finally nationally recognized as a true "right", you will see that Private property that is open to the general public will be treated just like public property that open to the general public, and our right to carry will not be infringed on any property open to the general public.

There is also a very big difference between a property owner, and someone that is authorized to act in the owners stead. I am sure that you will find that Joe Salesman has very limited authority to act on his own as an agent of the owner.

@Jimmyd your generalization of used and new car salesman is quite concerning. The auto industry in the U.S employs 14% of all the working class. No car salesman = no mechanic = no guy that builds dash boards or works at a body shop. Just for the record after finishing school at the university of Oregon in 2003 and completeting my series 7 test for trading I found out the hard way that jobs were scarse. I took a job at a Honda store and 11 years later have done pretty well for myself and my family. Given I'm not a salesman but a finance manager but I do take the statements you've made to heart. And you may want to check facts before posting because most dealers due to their insurances won't even hire a person with multiple speeding tickets. So the next time you'd like to bag on car guys feel free to take a drive out to my house and property that I own outright by the way and see if it lives up to your very high standards...

Jammer is 100% correct it is our choice to carry and though it is our right it is our job to try to not break concealment of deal with the reaction of some that may disagree. I happen to know the owners of that dealership and know for a fact that they would never discourage a persons right to own or carry a firearm but they would also not discourage people to have their own opinion either. All businesses have employees all with their own rights and views and this my friends is what our constitution and our great country was founded on

Jammer is 100% correct it is our choice to carry and though it is our right it is our job to try to not break concealment of deal with the reaction of some that may disagree. I happen to know the owners of that dealership and know for a fact that they would never discourage a persons right to own or carry a firearm but they would also not discourage people to have their own opinion either. All businesses have employees all with their own rights and views and this my friends is what our constitution and our great country was founded on

It's one thing to have an opinion its another to walk up to someone and demand paperwork.

It's one thing to have an opinion its another to walk up to someone and demand paperwork.

EXACTLY...and spout off bullcrap about not being able to have a gun at the dealership.

He spoke for the owners and tried to ID the guy...who the heck does he think he is? He can have an opinion, for sure....that's his first amendment right- nobody is debating that. What is being disputed is the unprofessional conduct of Mr. Salesman.

On a side note (since the OP hasn't responded to my private message) does the guy still work there?

Our Staff at Dick's MacKenzie Ford - Your Hillsboro, Oregon Ford dealer

EXACTLY...and spout off bullcrap about not being able to have a gun at the dealership.

He spoke for the owners and tried to ID the guy...who the heck does he think he is? He can have an opinion, for sure....that's his first amendment right- nobody is debating that. What is being disputed is the unprofessional conduct of Mr. Salesman.

On a side note (since the OP hasn't responded to my private message) does the guy still work there?

Our Staff at Dick's MacKenzie Ford - Your Hillsboro, Oregon Ford dealer
Ok, there's the line up. now which one's the schmuck?
:D

It's legal for me to stand in front of you and berate you. It's legal for me to question your ethnic background, your race and the various mammals that are clearly present in your family tree, having mated with the different females you are descended from. In fact, in the United States, the government can't stop me from doing so, because it's my right to do so.

But that doesn't make it a good idea. In fact, with some small percentage of you, there may even be consequences to doing so, in spite of the fact that it is undeniably within my rights. Those consequences may be illegal, they may not be perfectly square and level, but that does not necessarily mean that they won't exist.

So.

Something can be within your rights.

And if you do it, it may have consequences.

If you break concealment, have a nice day.

It's legal for me to stand in front of you and berate you. It's legal for me to question your ethnic background, your race and the various mammals that are clearly present in your family tree, having mated with the different females you are descended from. In fact, in the United States, the government can't stop me from doing so, because it's my right to do so.

But that doesn't make it a good idea. In fact, with some small percentage of you, there may even be consequences to doing so, in spite of the fact that it is undeniably within my rights. Those consequences may be illegal, they may not be perfectly square and level, but that does not necessarily mean that they won't exist.

So.

Something can be within your rights.

And if you do it, it may have consequences.

If you break concealment, have a nice day.

So, What's your point?

There is private property, and then there is private property that is open to the general public...there is a very big difference between the two. The Private property rights of those that open their property to the general public, can be, and are very restricted in what they can and cannot restrict as private property owners...don't think so? Read the ADA (Americians with Disabilities Act) and the Civil Rights Act. (AKA "places of public accomidation')

When the 2A is finally nationally recognized as a true "right", you will see that Private property that is open to the general public will be treated just like public property that open to the general public, and our right to carry will not be infringed on any property open to the general public.

I hate to break it to you, but we will NEVER see a day that there is 100% unrestricted gun rights in favor of gun owners. With free will and free speech there will ALWAYS be people who oppose gun ownership and with the way politics work you can't simply tell them to shove it. Like any good relationship there are compromises like as it exists now.

Private property is private property, doesn't matter if it is open to the general public. The property owner has some control over that property, which includes the choice of restricting firearms. And you cannot really compare 2nd amendment rights to people with disabilities. People cannot leave their disabilities at home or in the car, but you can leave behind your gun.

Fact is... I support private business owners 100% in their choice to restrict open carry or even all firearms on their property. 1) I can carry concealed and concealed mean concealed. 2) I can simply choose not to do business with them.

This mentality that is it my way only, or the highway hurts both sides. There are compromises that work and unknowingly can make everyone happy.

Not to mention that rights are about government, not individuals, citizens or companies.

All rights except one are regulated.

I also support private business owners regulating their own property. To do business with me, you do it in a way that I will participate in-- meaning you do it my way.

I hate to break it to you, but we will NEVER see a day that there is 100% unrestricted gun rights in favor of gun owners. With free will and free speech there will ALWAYS be people who oppose gun ownership and with the way politics work you can't simply tell them to shove it. Like any good relationship there are compromises like as it exists now.

Private property is private property, doesn't matter if it is open to the general public. The property owner has some control over that property, which includes the choice of restricting firearms. And you cannot really compare 2nd amendment rights to people with disabilities. People cannot leave their disabilities at home or in the car, but you can leave behind your gun.

Fact is... I support private business owners 100% in their choice to restrict open carry or even all firearms on their property. 1) I can carry concealed and concealed mean concealed. 2) I can simply choose not to do business with them.

This mentality that is it my way only, or the highway hurts both sides. There are compromises that work and unknowingly can make everyone happy.

Very good! I think most of us here agree with that. Private property owners control the rules on their property. The problem here was someone else other than the property owner or authorized person was trying to impose their will on a customer.

As an open carrier (sometimes cc'er) I also respect the property rights of others the same way you do. Not shopping there if it is known they are anti carry.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads