JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh and a must have is an old canteen with metal soup sleeve to heat water, etc. And some chlorine tabs, with some crystal light or something to cover up the chlorine taste.
And for a bug out bag I just go with a regular hiking back pack. There comfortable, large, and I don't look like a soldier of fortune you may want to shoot from a distance.

maybe Im wrong, but i doubt the type of pack your carrying is going to prevent you from getting shot... if someone wants your stuff they will take it...

To over simplifie your thinking, figure out what you can't live without and what you will live without. If you make these decisions before the time they need to be made you are far ahead in the game.

jj

What conditions is your bug out bag for? TEOTWAWKI? SHTF event of some sort? An earthquake is probably the most likely SHTF event. I have a bag in my car containing what I think I would need to get home from work on foot if for some reason I couldn't get there in the vehicle I took to work. (18 mi each way) I have blankets, matches, minimal food, a jug of water, Glock knife, compass, map, flashlight, a few other things. 18 mi might sound like just a fun hike, but I have enough physical problems to make it take longer than for somebody without a handicapped placard. Hitch hiking would be an option. I wouldn't appear to be an inviting victim - nothing that makes me look like I have a lot of $.

Glock is a good choice.
Fixed bladed knife (And a folding knife if you don't carry one every day. If you don't; go get one and start today)
550 paracord
Headband flashlight in addition to your Surefire (extra batteries for both)
2 Lighters (or whatever fire starting method you want)
Water bottle with built in filter (and/or bottle your preference on purification) and 2 few filled water bottles.
Food (Mainstay rations/Jerky/cliff bars... basically get some lightweight food that you can last on for 3 days)
Shelter (Minimum is a good poncho/emergency blanket. If you have room a small tent/sleeping bag)
First-aid kit and Hygiene kit
A few pairs of wool socks/underwear
CB/radio etc is a nice addition if you have room.
Maps of your area

Just a basic list of course and there are endless variations that you can go with depending on your local/goal destination.

-d
I bought an MSR water filter personally (USMC standard and certified) and you could filter toilet water with it and it would be drinkable, although wouldn't recommend it unless really thirsty. I also bought a 2 gallon bladder for go bag so I could have enough on hand for cooking, cleaning, hygiene, etc. as water along with heat (fire) is the most important. I also put a cold steel tanto blade (7inch) firestarter, tarp for shelter, really nice handpicked items and basic surgical kit first aid, still need to goto a farm supply for some antibiotics, a wind up emergency radio as small as I could get so I know what going on in the world if possible, high calorie bars (15) 3000 calories each, and a bunch of other misc. Total cost of 800 bucks at least, with room for a fair amount of freeze dried food left. I wanted to start a website selling something along these lines but got no interest from investers, but had alot of consult from a good friend who was a Green Beret Medic. Pm me if you want more info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top