JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So Today at the gun show I picked up a "Tactical Assault" Back pack ( <broken link removed> ) Iv been thinking about getting one and for $39 I figured what the heck:s0155: So im curious what I should put in it? Im going to put one of my glock .40's (G27 maybe?) in there with two 31 round high cap loaded mags as well as a Surefire G2 flash light, some spare batteries... I was thinking maybe a small hand held CB radio or something along those lines?

I want this to be something I can take with me everywhere, yet still have the essentials i need to have to survive on a night or two out..

What are some of your suggestions?

Glock is a good choice.
Fixed bladed knife (And a folding knife if you don't carry one every day. If you don't; go get one and start today)
550 paracord
Headband flashlight in addition to your Surefire (extra batteries for both)
2 Lighters (or whatever fire starting method you want)
Water bottle with built in filter (and/or bottle your preference on purification) and 2 few filled water bottles.
Food (Mainstay rations/Jerky/cliff bars... basically get some lightweight food that you can last on for 3 days)
Shelter (Minimum is a good poncho/emergency blanket. If you have room a small tent/sleeping bag)
First-aid kit and Hygiene kit
A few pairs of wool socks/underwear
CB/radio etc is a nice addition if you have room.
Maps of your area

Just a basic list of course and there are endless variations that you can go with depending on your local/goal destination.

-d

Here's what's in mine:

Water bladder
Water filter
First Aid Kit
Mountain House Pro-Pak meals
Fuel tabs (soon to be replaced by Jetboil stove)
Fire starting tools
MANY Glock mags
Flashlight
Compass
Atlas
Some snivel (cold/wet) gear.
A couple tshirts
A few pairs of fresh socks
Space blanket type sleeping bag
Perimeter alarms (must remember to order a spool of trip wire)

Soon to be added:
Solar charger for iPhone (which has some really good PDFs on it)

Last Edited:
Make sure to include some "major" bandages or even the blood clotting agents for first aid in the event of a major wound. The cheap route is women's Kotex...mid-level is the Israeli-style bandages, and on up from there. Good luck. I finally got my vehicle bag and my 72-hour bags set up over the last few months, it does give you some peace of mind.

So Today at the gun show I picked up a "Tactical Assault" Back pack

What are some of your suggestions?

First off, That style of pack will alert people that you are prepared and ready. That you likely have the skills and equipment to combat whatever may come your way. Bringing on unwanted attention to you and your gear.
I would recommend a much lesser "tactical" looking bag. One that gives a lesser statement of who you are and whats in your pack.

Heres a photo of mine!
View attachment 194251

The side pockets are great for holding gift cards:s0114:

On a serious note. I did tone mine down a bit. From a camo LApolicegear bag to a large untactical back pack. Mostly to prevent it from looking extra yummy to a thief when stowed in my pick up.

In my bag I make sure that I have a mid-range first aid kit, sharp knife and multi-tool, compass/gps, black electrical tape and 550 cord. I also keep a notebook and several pens and pencils in the bag. All of this stuff is "Just in case gear".

Don't just jump to a gun right away (since I have a CCW I have yet to throw a gun in my "go bag" and even if I do it is probably going to be a Henry Arms Survival .22lr). Instead, focus on your priority stuff (food, water, shelter).

Things I recommend are:

Poncho
Poncho Liner
Pair of Socks (x2)
Pair of Shirts (x2)
Pair of Pants
Shirt, Longsleeve
Knife, tang, fixed blade
Canteen
Canteen Cup
E-Tool
Leatherman
Survival Kit (wire saw, emergency blanket, matches, fish hooks, para cord, etc.)
Flashlight (preferrably a headlamp)
Tent, Tarp with emergency blanket, and/or shelter half (x2 so you have a complete shelter)
Compass
Map of area going to
First Aid Kit (two pressure dressings and a trigular bandage at a minimum)

That should get you started...

I have 3 glocks... A g30, g27 and g23.. I had the g27 first and dont really car for it, but I got the 23 since it was a lil bigger then the 27 and fit my hand great, I kept the 27 since the mags from my 23 willl fit in it.. So I put my G27 in my Go bag because other wise it will just sit in my closet, so now that its in the bag its at least serving a purpose...

The only reason why I am doing firearms first, is cause thats what I have, I never thought about doing a go bag until i read about it on here and then i saw a pack at the gun show and bought it.. but I am planning on adding other stuff besides gun stuff...

well mine is all black and unless your near me you cant really tell its "tactical"... iv seen typical backpacks that look more tactical then the one i have... lol... this bag is going to be under my bed and taken with me where ever i think i may need it ( So a quick trip into town it wouldn't go with me).

I keep a SF G2 in my bag, but I don't plan on running it non stop either.

I am planning on getting a head lamp too, but if it's dark, I won't use it unless I'm stopped where I can hide the light. No sense in beaconing your location to people.

<broken link removed>
Great head lamp for the money! :s0155:
I've got a few of these, one in each car/truck, one in each "go bag", & one in my work gear. The white lights are nice & bright & the red light works very well for the "want to see, but don't want to be seen situations". They also have a great battery life. I have a few "high dollar" head lamps, but I don't like them as much as these Energizer ones. Another great thing about these, is you can get them darn near any where, Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, most auto parts stores..........

Put this on another thread.
But one thing to add, get a zip lock bag and stuff it with dryer lint. Dryer lint makes an excellent fire starter.

Another quick tip,
Carry a few road flares. Smaller ones if possible. When you out in the NW woods and the rain a flare makes a great fire starter. It won't go out and will burn long enough to get a good fire started. I used to carry them in my search pack and a little bottle with some gas in it.

And need a comfy bed? The NW is jam packed full of ferns. Pick a bunch of these and they make really comfortable bedding.
And get a pocket sized book of the plant life in your area. You can carry these to know what you can and can't eat.

A well thought out bug out bag can help you survive for months in the right environment. And a must have gun is a 22lr and a brick of ammo. It's light and can kill 90% of the animal life in the woods that can give you food for years. Why carry a heavy rifle. You going to knock down an elk? And put it where? In your fridge your carrying on your back? A good squirrel or rabbit make a great meal and no waste.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top