JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A 223 or 308 will make learning to read the wind a much faster process. At the distances you're interested in you don't have to be too concerned about ballistics especially since you're not interested in hunting. It's definitely more about the shooter than the rifle (I've actually taken a Mosin Nagant to a long range match). The key to hitting targets with the first round at extended ranges is the scope and its adjustment. The rifle has to maintain reasonably accuracy...your drop chart has to be perfect. As mentioned your drops will change with conditions, takes experience to make first round hits way out. It's a fun hobby... it won't take long to reach your goal as it's very reasonable.

So I think I've decided on a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. Initially the standard stock will be good enough but I was looing at some after market stocks just for kicks and giggles. What does "bedding a stock" mean?

Using a material (like a two part epoxy) to make a perfect mating surface for your action (and sometimes the chamber area of the barrel). Some areas are taped off like the front of recoil lug etc. Use wax or other release agent to keep epoxy from sticking to action/barrel. There are probably videos on youtube on how to properly bed your action/stock.

There are many things to think about, the biggest is, how much are you willing to spend, and how much punishment are you willing to take. I have a 700BDL in .264 and love it. It will punch holes in paper, gophers, coyotes, deer or anything else you want it to...far better than I can shoot it anymore.

Recoil is a lot less of a problem when you are young. The new 6.5's are nice, and work well, my personal favorite is the Creedmore. Almost as good as the .264, but kicks less. As you get older, recoil seems to become more of a factor in how much you shoot. (at least it has been with me.)

Pick one you will enjoy shooting, buy the best optic you can afford, and learn how to reload. I have found that something slightly less than maximum load is generally more accurate than a peak power load. If you are not going to hunt at all, and just punch paper, go with lighter loads, you will have more fun. BTW: Long bullets carry farther than short lighter ones so get a rifling twist rate for the specific bullets you plan to shoot

So I think I've decided on a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. Initially the standard stock will be good enough but I was looing at some after market stocks just for kicks and giggles. What does "bedding a stock" mean?

Just to warn you that the SPS Tactical stock sucks. It can get you good grouping, but if you add a bipod, or lean the front of the stock on something, it flexes so you lose the free floating barrel. Get it and change out the stock. Good thing about the 700 in 308 is it's a short action which means you can upgrade the barrel to 260, assuming you get more serious on LR shooting.

if you reload, go for a 30-06 or a 300win mag, if not 308 will do just fine. honestly you don't need a whole bunch of ammo for a bolt gun to have a good time.

as far as makes I have seen almost anything made into an accurate gun. my preference is a win mod 70 controlled feed ( Try and find a mod 70 Laredo Classic LRH, possibly the best factory shooter I have ever had).here is one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253999565

Again almost anything will do with the right amount of work, I have been looking at reworked machinegun barrels for a mosin nagant as an interesting build into an accurate rifle, it would require a lot of work. But would be unique. I guess I'm pretty weird, I like to have something a little out of what mainstream shooters have.

Anyone can buy a gun in a box.

It all depends on how much time, money and skill you have

Really great things for me to ponder guys. Thank you!!! Because I'm not planning on hunting perhaps I should go .223 .... ??? I dunno! I'm all set up for reloading that caliber already. If it came down to a choice between a Remington 700 SPS or a Savage Model 10 what would be your advice? In all my reading I've found lots of dislike for the Remington stock. Is the Savage stock better in terms of allowing the barrel to float? I've looked at a bunch of videos on bedding a stock and I know I'd rather have a good setup from the get go than to have to learn how to bed a stock on my own.

thanks again for all the thoughts and opinions.

I am generally a Savage fan but considered that 700 I saw. You should also consider what mods you want to make down the road and start looking at the factory offerings to see if you can come close to your mode from factory such as the Savage HS Precision or Mcmillan models.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top