JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought one set of Level 4 before they ran out, then I bought some Level 3 while they still had some in stock. Ceramic. Big difference is 2.5 lbs of additional weight for the level 4 but it stops armor piercing .30 caliber rounds.

Realistically most people don't have armor piercing rounds, and the steel tip ammo doesn't penetrate level 3 in tests I've seen and it's rated to stop green tip anyways.

I'm debating whether to sell the level 3 when it comes in and get another level 4 or keep the level 3 in addition to the level for for the times I want to travel 2.5 lbs lighter?

I bought one set of Level 4 before they ran out, then I bought some Level 3 while they still had some in stock. Ceramic. Big difference is 2.5 lbs of additional weight for the level 4 but it stops armor piercing .30 caliber rounds.

Realistically most people don't have armor piercing rounds, and the steel tip ammo doesn't penetrate level 3 in tests I've seen and it's rated to stop green tip anyways.

I'm debating whether to sell the level 3 when it comes in and get another level 4 or keep the level 3 in addition to the level for for the times I want to travel 2.5 lbs lighter?

If you think you could face some dude with an AK, an SKS, a Mosin, or an AR I'd stick with the level 4 stuff. 2.5lbs more might suck, but going up against an AP round would suck even more.

If you think you could face some dude with an AK, an SKS, a Mosin, or an AR I'd stick with the level 4 stuff. 2.5lbs more might suck, but going up against an AP round would suck even more.

Not sure about the Mosin Nagant but not a common weapon, everything else it stops. But yeah, I only got Level 3 because they were out of more Level 4

Level III polyethylene plates are ultra-lightweight and can stop rifle bullets up to and including 7.62mm/. 308 caliber. By adding a ceramic face, polyethylene plates can be certified to Level IV and will stop steel core and tactical rifle rounds up to and including 166-grain . 30 caliber M2 armor-piercing.

The 2.5 lbs is not too bad compared to the 26 lbs I was lugging with my Level 3 AR500 armor with extra spawl coating. I wore it a few hours at a time and was doable but once you add 6 mags, water and a small tactical pack it is suddenly 50 lbs just for a fighting setup.

Now I'm down to 10-13 lbs for armor, much lighter load out and you barely notice it. To be fair though, I don't have side plates anymore...so it wasn't all weight savings in switching to ceramic alone...

Not sure about the Mosin Nagant but not a common weapon, everything else it stops. But yeah, I only got Level 3 because they were out of more Level 4

Level III polyethylene plates are ultra-lightweight and can stop rifle bullets up to and including 7.62mm/. 308 caliber. By adding a ceramic face, polyethylene plates can be certified to Level IV and will stop steel core and tactical rifle rounds up to and including 166-grain . 30 caliber M2 armor-piercing.

The 2.5 lbs is not too bad compared to the 26 lbs I was lugging with my Level 3 AR500 armor with extra spawl coating. I wore it a few hours at a time and was doable but once you add 6 mags, water and a small tactical pack it is suddenly 50 lbs just for a fighting setup.

Now I'm down to 10-13 lbs for armor, much lighter load out and you barely notice it. To be fair though, I don't have side plates anymore...so it wasn't all weight savings in switching to ceramic alone...
Real men like the extra weight...:p

kidding of course

He wears soft armor, like pretty much all departments. Totally different ballgame there. I'd really HATE to take one wearing soft armor.

@No_Regerts tagged.

I like Jocko's podcasts but I've never heard of Mike Day until today. I had to google it.

No Regrets, any comments on the topic at hand? What armor do you wear at work? Level 3?

It depends. If wearing covert, its Level II soft armor. Overt, Level IIIA. Special teams/SWAT guys have Level III and IV stuff.

My overt carrier is 31lbs loaded with all my crap.

Having taken a 7.62X39 to the plates point blank, I can tell you, it's a fight stopper for a while, and your going to hurt for several weeks after!
As a Civilian I much prefer Level III+ with enhanced stab/slash and coverage protection, and I can always add a plate for that extra bit! A Level IV Plate on top of the soft will stop a .338 L.M AP round, but still likely kill ya!

It's ok, it's only 9 minimeter hahahah.

5EEA3AB6-61C5-4DE6-A5F4-67A67C36FB7F.jpeg

It depends. If wearing covert, its Level II soft armor. Overt, Level IIIA. Special teams/SWAT guys have Level III and IV stuff.

My overt carrier is 31lbs loaded with all my crap.

Yeah not exactly comfy. I'm shocked that SWAT would use level 3, I figured it'd always be level 4. But like I was saying, how many people have armor piercing rounds. Many have steel core, but that is stopped by level 3. I've yet to meet anyone that has true armor piercing ammo.

Funny thing about wight is my level 3 steel plates at 26 lbs were just fine as long as I was sitting. It took the weight off my shoulders enough to be comfy. Standing for a few hours at a time wasn't too bad, but you felt some muscle soreness the next day in the shoulder/neck area.

The ceramic level 4 I got is so light I barely notice it. I almost want to go running with it. Glad I got it. I'm tempted to keep the level 3 since it's a tad bit thinner and can go in my covert armor carrier rather than my MOLLE chest rig. Though even that with 3 mags stuffed into the kangaroo pouch disappears under a regular NorthFace jacket....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top