JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Armor piercing might be a bit of a misnomer.

Generally speaking armor is defeated by speed. The steel core rounds have their purpose but are not effective at piercing armor; where a V-Max 40gr 223 out of a 20" barrel will zip right through a Level III plate.

Even the common M193 has been shown to pass through level III.

With that being said the countless combat studies conducted since WWI have shown that the likelihood of a being hit by small arms fire is greatly impacted by the amount of *time* he is exposing himself to the enemy rifleman.

This is why the infantry teaches the bounding under fire technique with a quick "I'm up, he see's me, I'm down" mantra to find cover.

So body armor can be important. It can also be defeated with enough speed (or the right shot placement). What you'll find far more important when engaging a hostile threat is your ability to move.

So choose the plate with the highest protection that still allows you to run and jump.

Good advice. I do train to move from one position of cover to another under bounding overwatch (when not alone) and individual movement techniques when alone. I don't count on BA to be the be all end all for me, I still have always practiced engaging people in suspicious situations in an old career while maximizing my distance and minimizing my exposure, from behind a concrete pillar usually.

That lawyer couple who stood out in front of their house in plain view. Big mistake I've told people. Legally and tactically you're better off inside, behind cover and concealment. If they come in or try to burn the place down, do what you have to do to protect your life.

If I'm in fear for my life, I'm not likely to go outside in the wide open with a pink polo and a rifle with a single mag. I'm hunkering down behind something that will stop bullets with armor and calling the cops and waiting while I pray they go away...

What you'll find far more important when engaging a hostile threat is your ability to move.

So choose the plate with the highest protection that still allows you to run and jump.
Indeed. Its doubly hard when one isn't physically able to run and jump without anything :eek: On the other hand, thats why things like these exist :D
35ef53b03870a62fcf8e51002f39bb9f.jpg gunmountsidear15.jpg

On the other hand, I'm doubly surprised nobody has publicly built something resembling this
quad.jpg
But mounted on something like this

b3943cd616c397dd0dec160edd3f3c29.jpg
19035804.png

Yeah I wonder what I'm going to do when I'm old, the thought crosses my mind periodically, and Canadian Prepper has a good video on it. I guess at that point I will have lived and it's not a big deal to die. What kills me is not being able to protect family in that situation and having to watch people hurting them.

Having taken a 7.62X39 to the plates point blank, I can tell you, it's a fight stopper for a while, and your going to hurt for several weeks after!
As a Civilian I much prefer Level III+ with enhanced stab/slash and coverage protection, and I can always add a plate for that extra bit! A Level IV Plate on top of the soft will stop a .338 L.M AP round, but still likely kill ya!
I don't think what level plates I have is gonna matter much if some dude with a .338 has me dialed in with AP rounds on tap. I MIGHT live, but I also might wish I hadn't. That's a literal ton of energy. But hey, at least it ain't a .50:p

Actually scratch the tracked wheelchair quad mount thing. Put the quad mount thing on this 4x4 vehicle's rolling chassis/power plant, should be far more... mobile. And able to be uparmored like the Killdozer. Using known techniques of armoring, one could probably get the contraption to be a decent one man self propelled ambush breaker ;) even if it means getting pre-86 NFA items and a trust :rolleyes: but hey that'd be awesome at the MG shoots :D img.jpeg

Back to topic of armor... the Level 3 Special threat rated plates I have are rated for SS109/M855 and 7.62x51 NATO using the British testing protocol with NIJ 3A equivalent soft armor. The Body Armor Outlet rebranded Hesco 4401 plate is current and level 4 NIJ ceramic, though it weights like 7.5-8 lbs on its own. The rig when I am complete with it.. will have minimal ammo capacity and as low profile as humanly possible :oops: although I will still use a heavy duty LBE below the plate carrier, if not using the 3a/3 special threat armor carrier that covers more of my vitals.

Indeed. Its doubly hard when one isn't physically able to run and jump without anything :eek: On the other hand, thats why things like these exist :D
View attachment 741495View attachment 741496

On the other hand, I'm doubly surprised nobody has publicly built something resembling this
View attachment 741498
But mounted on something like this

View attachment 741499
View attachment 741500

Armored battle chairs look sweet. I want one. I don't want to become disabled to get one though. But an armored, armed battle chair would be frickin sweet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top