JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I decided to go with the 7.62x39 cartridge to try out this black powder loading. I have a very limited amount of 300 BO brass to work with and more of the the 7.62x39 brass. This morning, I neutered my recently purchased optics planet 7.62x39 upper so it is ready for some single shot shooting. I am going to run it without the handguard since this project will probably only involve a handful of rounds.

The 240gr coated bullets I will be using measure out at .312 diameter and the 7.62x39 brass will be worked less during loading. Ideally I would like to be able to load the bullets without resizing the brass. I took a once fired case and was able to push and twist a bullet in by hand. There is just enough neck tension to be able to chamber and extract the cartridge with the bullet staying in the case. I should be able to reload these in the field with a hammer and a few pieces from my 30-06 Lee Loader kit to reprime the fired cases.

20220717_065830.jpg

20220717_071054.jpg

Edit, I may stuff some bore butter in the lube grooves to help keep the fouling softer for easier cleaning. I will bore butter the bore too before shooting.

This is the configuration I will run the upper in for the black powder cartridge testing. The flash hider is loose and will be removed before firing the black powder cartridges. It's serving as a thread protector for now. It will be one less part I have to remove black powder fouling from.

20220717_072329.jpg

I don't want to blow my hands or face off but I am still thinking about trying one load with this method.

chamber empty unprimed case in rifle

charge case and part of bore by putting in let's say 50gr by volume of bp substitute through muzzle. The charge would fill up the case and part of the bore.

load the bullet through muzzle and tamp down on powder charge to eliminate air gap.

Note The extractor would have to be removed for this configuration of loading. lock bcg back and insert primer into case by hand (this would require a looser primer pocket). Then send the BCG back to battery. This method of loading would somewhat copy the method used with the muzzleloading chamber adapter used in shotguns.

This guy was braver and loaded the primer in the adapter before loading the powder and shot.

Edit: If I used the less safe method in the second video I could leave the extractor in the bcg and chamber a primed case, then load the powder and bullet through the muzzle. The advantage of loading with these methods is that you can significantly increase the charge above the case capacity.

Last Edited:
There used to be some black powder loads for the Mosin-Nagant rifle when it first came out from what I have read. I was going to do this, had the dedicated rifle, cases, powder and lead 115gn bullets all bought. But before I could do this my degenerative arthritis took a real bad turn. My neck eventuallly fused naturally and I am unable to shoot a rifle now. It sounded like fun to do and would have been relatively cheap. Could have also pulled down surplus ammo and loaded them with black powder.

There used to be some black powder loads for the Mosin-Nagant rifle when it first came out from what I have read. I was going to do this, had the dedicated rifle, cases, powder and lead 115gn bullets all bought. But before I could do this my degenerative arthritis took a real bad turn. My neck eventuallly fused naturally and I am unable to shoot a rifle now. It sounded like fun to do and would have been relatively cheap. Could have also pulled down surplus ammo and loaded them with black powder.
This chap relived that for a few rounds.

.32-20 WCF now loaded with 19.5 grains 3F Gun Powder. I now only shoot smokeless factory ammo to recover the brass. Gunpowder loads solves a number of problems with .32-20 loads including factory loads #1 being bullet set back from recoil and magazine spring pressure. With smokeless loads you have to crush the paper thin case mouth when you crimp the bullet to prevent bullet set back into the case. Gunpowder loads solve that problem because you have to compress the powder charge with no air space. Anyone else load and shoot .32-20 WCF ?

.32-20 TARGET.jpg IMG_0456.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads