JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody know of any companies or custom cartridge makers in the northwest (or the west coast in general) who make black powder rifle cartridges? Yes I'm very aware of reloading. ;)

I'm an ammo manufacturer and not allowed to have Black Powder in my shop per the ATF. I do make a 45-70 load with AA-5744 that is a black powder equivalent load.

I would call The Gun Works in Springfield and see what they say.

I'm an ammo manufacturer and not allowed to have Black Powder in my shop per the ATF. I do make a 45-70 load with AA-5744 that is a black powder equivalent load.

I would call The Gun Works in Springfield and see what they say.
Hey Mike.
Out of curiosity, what sort of hoops would you have to jump through if you wanted to manufacture bp cartridges?

Hey Mike.
Out of curiosity, what sort of hoops would you have to jump through if you wanted to manufacture bp cartridges?
I was told I could make one or the other but not both. I couldn't have both powders in my shop at the same time. In my personal experience back in the day I didn't care for the Holy Black. It gummed up my 45 Colt Blackhawk in three cylinders full (18 rounds). Others have said I was doing it wrong but I found for me that modern powders in cartridges was much more no fuss, no muss so that's what I've stuck with.

Woops, didn't see the replies! Right now I'm looking for .45-70 and .45 Colt. I'm also slowly but surely getting the components together to load my own. Eventually I'd like to try loading .577/.450 Martini Henry, which I hear is quite the challenge. I've loaded older military smokeless cartridges before (7.7 Japanese, .303 British, 8mm Mauser, etc.) but I'm dipping my toes into the world of black powder metallic catridges.

Perhaps......it's time for you to get in touch with some SASS Clubs or SASS shooters. They have members that probably have a ton of info about BP shooting (sourcing products, components, the ups and downs, etc.... etc....).

Aloha, Mark

Perhaps......it's time for you to get in touch with some SASS Clubs or SASS shooters. They have members that probably have a ton of info about BP shooting (sourcing products, components, the ups and downs, etc.... etc....).

Aloha, Mark
The SASS folks and Cowboy Action Shooters generally stick to low recoil smokeless / cast bullet loads. They shoot a bunch and don't want the hassles of cleaning up BP residues. BP in a revolver or a lever action rifle can be a real task to clean properly. I shoot single shot rifles, and the only worry is cleaning the bore of the rifle and the cartridge case. Shiloh Rifles had a forum with a wealth of information on loading BP cartridge. It's not a difficult skill to learn. Depending on what you are shooting, brass and dies can be had. Might be a little pricy, but you won't have the headaches of trying to find loaded ammunition that is absurdly priced.

"Generally"

Though, they (BP Shooters) are there at the events (monthly and at the BIG events). The category matters. And, of course.....it depends on the club's shooters/participation rates.

In other words : Your mileage will vary.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....
Yes, currently caps are in short supply. BUT, But, but.....all is not lost.

BTW....the way that I've heard it is.....
BP is loaded by volume of BP. Yes, "grains" is still used as a unit of measure. But note the volume of space used (in a properly loaded BP cartridge) vs. when using smokeless powder. And then, it's not really recommended to "under load" BP cartridges.

Lastly. Yup. About the cost of factory ammo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top