JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to muzzleloaders. I have reloaded center fire ammo for a little over 10 years. When I do that I weigh my charges. On loose BP do I weigh it or go by volume? The brass powder measures can't be that safe if I'm doing say 90gn
I see they make plastic tubes that I can put powder in. To me weighting 90gn and then poring it in a plastic tube seems safer and more consistent.

A brass powder measure is very safe...
As is a hand made bone or antler one.
Same for a brass powder flask...or a powder horn made of cow or buffalo horn.

Traditional Black powder loads for muzzle loaders are measured by volume

As a general rule...
Most rifles shoot best with a black powder load of 10 - 30 grains higher than the caliber.
My .54 Hawken rifle uses a load of 80 grains of 2F.
A .50 caliber rifle may like a charge of 60 - 80.....
Andy

1690652545079.png

Aloha, Mark

Measuring the charge by volume is customary with muzzleloaders and perfectly safe.

If you're not hung up on custom, measuring by weight and using those plastic tubes is fine (I do). But you should first calibrate a volume-to-weight ratio for the powder you're using, as the two will differ. For example, Hodgdon 777 FFg will weigh about 80 grains (or 77.7 grains) for the equivalent 100 volume-grains.

Also be very clear in your notes and communication whether you're talking about grains-weight (grW) or grains-volume (grV).

Personally, I get better consistency and accuracy weighing. But it's nice to know I can pour by volume in a pinch.

I may be stating the obvious here, but those graduations found on the volumetric measures are only there for a reference, & they do not correlate exactly to the weight of the powder being measured, & different makes of measures will have different graduations. With basically four different granulation sizes (Fg, FFg, FFFg, & FFFFg) of blackpowder in common use, the same volume of each powder would necessarily have a different weight due to load density. In addition, different brands of powder (ie GoEx, KIK, Schuetzen, Swiss, etc.) will have slightly different kernel sizes within the same granulation, & even different lot numbers of powder can have variations. From my years on the U.S. International Muzzleloading Team I pretty much always use pre-measured powder charges in plastic vials to take to the range. Once I found a load that shot well, using a volumetric measure, I would weigh the powder & then set my Powder Thrower (using a scale) to throw that amount & then dispense the powder into the vials. It's also important to remember that a Grain is a measure of weight (7000 grains equals one pound), & not a measure of volume.

I'm an old nit picking cartridge reloader. :s0035:
For my muzzle loaders, aside from weighing the powder, I also weigh the balls I cast after I roll them in a mill to assure roundness.

Being a, "traditionalist", (Sorry Andy) :rolleyes:
I carry my loads in premeasured plastic tubes and my priming powder in a spouted mustard dispenser. :)

No worries @Capn Jack
As long as it all works out...well and safely...then all is good.

I , don't fuss with all that ...
Nor do I weigh my charges on a scale...measure my patch thickness...or even roll my roundballs to ensure roundness...
Neither did Daniel Boone or Kit Carson....:D
I like to shoot traditionally and from the bag....all without as much 20th and 21st century styling or methods.
Shooting that way works well for me....
It don't have to work that way for anyone else.
Andy

Volume here. I use the adjustable brass vial and have 3 different ones, because some are better than others. I have both brass and bone powder horns, and both work well to fill my brass vial. I prefer the bone one, though.
Also note, the grain size in black powder has a direct correlation to burn rate. The more F's, the faster the burn. Hence, 80 grains of FFFg in a 50cal is a hot load compared to 80 grains of FFg.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top