JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So like...someone gets a fax that says 'memo from the chief' pretty much? Sorry I dont know how exactly that works, i thought laws are made by votes in house and senat.

Edit: i thought the bumpstocks were an executive order?

Is it an executive order?
Yup. That's what happens when ol Joe can't get congress to do what he wants them to. Use excutive powers over the departments he controls as a loophole to make it happen without requiring the approval of the American people.

Guess this would have to be serialized too if it ever changed hands :s0054:
9AEDD5E3-E700-408B-BC1C-AD2BB55E1A78.png

How would the new regs apply if I started with a bar of 4140 heat treated steel or 7075 aluminum and ended up with a completed 2011 frame?
If they get their way... "anything" that "could" be used in the construction of a firearm "could" be classed as such and require serialization and registration. What "will" they determine and actively enforce is yet to be seen, but any smart money would be on... "if it's not yet, they sure as bubblegum will try to make it be".

Is there a condensed version?
I know many will say npr is liberal but I thought this was a good simplified breakdown. The way I read it ...for now anyways, is they arent prohibiting ghost guns they are requireing them to be serialized if sold. That of course does open a whole new can of worms but for now they are addressing the completed guns.

How would the new regs apply if I started with a bar of 4140 heat treated steel or 7075 aluminum and ended up with a completed 2011 frame?
the way Im reading it, for now... is it doesnt affect the kits. You can still buy them. What Im reading is the new rules apply if you sell or transfer an unserialized gun they now have to be serialized.

Im not certain how this applies to ghost guns prior to this ruling that were voluntarily serialized by the builder in case they were stolen.

The way I read it ...for now anyways, is they arent prohibiting ghost guns they are requireing them to be serialized if sold. That of course does open a whole new can of worms but for now they are addressing the completed guns.
That seems more like just something they threw in along with the main intent of the rule. The main intent being to button hole the 80% industry and slow the proliferation of home built firearms by requiring a BCG.

The by-product reality though is that the cost of being licensed and serializing 80% parts is going to put a crap ton of small businesses out of the market.

Thanks again, Joe~!

.....actually yes, agree anyways how I'm reading it so far... new kits will have to be serialized or sold thru an ffl who serializes them, essentially killing the whole point of a ghost gun build, the whole idea of the new rule.

so far, im not seeing anything about existing kits, so essentially grandfathered in.

and then, it doesnt tackle 3D printers and technology. At this time anyways. Much more complicated I think they set that aside for now.

Then the question is, why would I buy a serialized 80% and have to do all the work if I could get a done lower!? I guess this is the goal?

so far, im not seeing anything about existing kits, so essentially grandfathered in.

and then, it doesnt tackle 3D printers and technology. At this time anyways. Much more complicated I think they set that aside for now.
Yup. Only if you were to sell a home build as I read it. And then, I don't know if it really only impacts sales directly to an FFL or private party transfers, too.

That would be funny if you had to do a BCG to purchase a 3D printer, but then again... I bet my great grandpap was crackin jokes around the fireplace with his buddies about how ludacris it would be if you had to pass a BGC to buy an ol' shotty off a buddy. We allowed THAT to happen!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top