JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone living in the "real world" could see this is coming. Now will it "work"? That is the good question. This is again at the feet of gun owners who ignored it. Ask a bunch of shooters about "ghost guns". You will find a bunch of them know nothing about what it means, or shrug and say they do not care. So this action will get some push back but who knows what will really happen. What they are trying to do is just make up new rules. Since passing an actual law is hard to do on the Fed level. I have a lot of snow on the roof but I expect I will live to see the day my casper guns and the 80% lowers I bought will become scrap sadly. A LOT of gun owners voted for Joe, so they get what they asked for :s0092:

Ah thank you. From what I am reading it is contradictive to existing 80% regs. in a lot of ways.curious how thats gonna turn out. Seems like a dumb thing to do given the war in Europe. Anyway, my 80% builds are all serialized anyway. I generally do a 4 digit SN which is the month and year its build.

Ah thank you. From what I am reading it is contradictive to existing 80% regs. in a lot of ways.curious how thats gonna turn out.
Sadly it will be up to black robes. Some can put a LOT of cash into a fight if they wish. They will be arguing to a black robe. Many of the black robes will love this kind of "law" and say its fine. Find one black robe who shoots it down, they will find 2 higher ones who will say its fine. :mad:

Anyway, my 80% builds are all serialized anyway. I generally do a 4 digit SN which is the month and year its build.
Unfortunately, that would not satisfy the guidelines as a "serialized" firearm. There are specific format and numbering compliance issues that must be met. Requiring that it be serialized by an authorized FFL... since a portion of the serial number would include a portion of the FFL's license #.

However, my understanding is that the new rule doesn't require anyone to go run out and get their home builds serialized. If a FFL was to come into possession of a home build then they would be required to serialize and duly record it... and I would imagine that might likely apply to private party transfers as well.

Anyone living in the "real world" could see this is coming. Now will it "work"? That is the good question. This is again at the feet of gun owners who ignored it. Ask a bunch of shooters about "ghost guns". You will find a bunch of them know nothing about what it means, or shrug and say they do not care. So this action will get some push back but who knows what will really happen. What they are trying to do is just make up new rules. Since passing an actual law is hard to do on the Fed level. I have a lot of snow on the roof but I expect I will live to see the day my casper guns and the 80% lowers I bought will become scrap sadly. A LOT of gun owners voted for Joe, so they get what they asked for :s0092:
Like chickens advocating for Colonel Sanders.

Don't post threads with titles that read like headlines, and then ask whether said thing is going on.

You get a facepalm award.
Well, you looked and replied. So I guess it works for you at least.

However, I knew that he banned thrm i just didnt know the details. So my headline is just fine.

Actually my 'serialization' meets the requirements just fine at the time of the builds. They are engravings to to recover the firearms if ever stolen. Federally there was no requirement for 80% builds to meet specs unless they are sold. Neither do you have to apply for a serial thats issued to you because it dosent exist for non commercial manufacturers. Should I ever sell them, i am in compliance with the law as it was 24h ago.

i am in compliance with the law as it was 24h ago.
You were asking about the new rule Joe announced. I responded in that light... not what the rules "used" to be. ;)

As I understand it, it's still a question if you can still sell them "as is". FFL's are required to serialize them if they come into their possession (following federal serial # regulations), but without reading more, I don't know if that requirement extends to private party transfers "through" an FFL or not. I kind of suspect that it might.

Last Edited:
And it shall be ignored.
The main intent seems to simply shut down the 80% market without BGC's but I think we are yet to see the full ramifications of current ownership at the private party level. We can see what's on paper, but in practice, it may not extend as far as it seems to be written or they may try and tread even heavier on our right than what is actually in "black and white".

Will this require serial numbers on older firearms (pre GCA) if transferred after rule is in place?
I dunno. I'm not that smart. :D

If one is sold directly to a commercial entity (gun, pawn shop, etc.) they would be required to serialize pre rule firearms, but private transfers... no idea.

I didn't read the whole thing, yet.. and I'm not a lawyer. Just assuming with the language being used that an FFL having a non-serialized home build "taken into inventory" they would have to serialze it. If that languge is fully accurate and all inclusive of the rule itself or not is unclear, to me.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top